Thread: What Mandolin should you not buy???

Question What Mandolin should you not buy???

Ok I’m stealing this idea from pheffernan.(just thought I’d give you props too.)
    After extensive research and testing I’ve finally found the mandolin for me.
    And I waited a couple days to see if pheffernan would create this thread.
    So what mandolins would you not buy. Or ever buy again (your mando horror stories are welcome)
    I thought this could be geared more toward different price ranges and level of mandos
    Such as : what mandolin should i not buy in the $100-$1000 range and the go buy increments of $1000-$2000 so on and so forth.
    That way beginners and experienced alike can benefit from knowing what is good and what might be potentially garbage.

Ok so I’ll go first I’d have to say that my Johnson MF-100 (new $179) was completely useless as a mandolin the neck is like a baseball bat fretboard/neck at the wrong angle to body so the strings are crazy high. Terrible finish job. The binding is not even level with the edge in someplaces the lacquer is so thick you can see the clear area between the surface of the lacquer and the wood. My brother in law bought the same mandolin at the same time as me and they both had the same problems. Well That’s my entry to this hopefully long list of mandolins that no one should ever buy. Oh and btw I’ll consider this thread no holds barred to the fullest extent of Cafe guidelines.
    Hardwick Bluetone banjo, old Washburn b16 with an rb250 tone ring
    Custom Martin D28, and D45
    Tyler White #12, Eastman MD 815cs, Austin AU657 beater mandolin
    Several violins, eletric guitars, piano, Suzuki bluesmaster harmonica set, and my Dads old trombone from high school.

Default Re: What Mandolin should you not buy???

Many of my mandos were learning experiences, necessary to get me to where I am today.
    I would probably skip the silent (electric and practice) mandos though, I never got much use out of them.
    A decent 4 string electric, intended to be played as an electric (rather than a silent practice instrument), is still on the table though.
    Davey Stuart tenor guitar (based on his 18" mandola design).
    Eastman MD-604SB with Grover 309 tuners.
    Eastwood 4 string electric mandostang, 2x Airline e-mandola (4-string) one strung as an e-OM.
    DSP's: Helix HX Stomp, various Zooms.
    Amps: THR-10, Sony XB-20.

Exactly but if you could go back and do it all again which ones would you not buy for whatever reasons knowing what you know now. I agree every mandos a learning experience. But man i wish I’d have known about some of the better options out there then what I wound up with when I started.
    Hardwick Bluetone banjo, old Washburn b16 with an rb250 tone ring
    Custom Martin D28, and D45
    Tyler White #12, Eastman MD 815cs, Austin AU657 beater mandolin
    Several violins, eletric guitars, piano, Suzuki bluesmaster harmonica set, and my Dads old trombone from high school.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by AHoyle View Post
    Oh and btw I’ll consider this thread no holds barred to the fullest extent of Cafe guidelines.
    A discussion centered around cutting down and criticizing people that build mandolins as their passion or companies involved in their distribution with people making their living do so is not what the Mandolin Cafe is about.

5. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Mandolin Cafe For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked