Thread: I’m so sorry (for the thread what mando should I not buy)

Default I’m so sorry (for the thread what mando should I not buy)

Well brothers and sisters of the Cafe. I just wanted to sincerely apologize to you for my noob mistake in posting that last thread. I’m not to big to admit I was in the wrong to post that. It’s my hope that you’ll forgive me for my error as I hope to be amongst you fine people for a long time.

I agree with the administration that this is not the behavior expected. Or the image I wish to put out there. I’m not the kind of person that wants to hurt anyone. So I issue this apology as humbly as I know how.

I’m sorry
    Andy Hoyle
    Hardwick Bluetone banjo, old Washburn b16 with an rb250 tone ring
    Custom Martin D28, and D45
    Tyler White #12, Eastman MD 815cs, Austin AU657 beater mandolin
    Several violins, eletric guitars, piano, Suzuki bluesmaster harmonica set, and my Dads old trombone from high school.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to AHoyle For This Useful Post:

Default Re: I’m so sorry (for the thread what mando should I not buy)

As a consumer, there is nothing wrong with asking which products to avoid. Yes, it can be harsh for a builder, but it is harsh for a consumer to overpay.

Rating systems can be a great boon to consumers, and can even provide valuable feedback for producers, but the margin of error is pretty high when your sample group is so small. I don’t like Gibsons, but they sell to thousands of people. The data can get a lot more skewed when someone is selling only a few a year.

Quote Originally Posted by JonZ View Post
    As a consumer, there is nothing wrong with asking which products to avoid. Yes, it can be harsh for a builder, but it is harsh for a consumer to overpay.

Rating systems can be a great boon to consumers, and can even provide valuable feedback for producers, but the margin of error is pretty high when your sample group is so small. I don’t like Gibsons, but they sell to thousands of people. The data can get a lot more skewed when someone is selling only a few a year.
    Possibly, but this site to many of us is a community centered around the mandolin family of instruments, the players and builders. It's not Consumer Reports or a product scoring site. More like Consumer Supports. My take and dos centavos.

Thanks for the replies, and for your gracious behavior toward me this far. I agreed when I joined this site to abide by its guidelines. I failed to do so and was corrected. As Luna Pick said this isn’t really the kind of platform for product scoring. But a place where real everyday people( and some very famous ones) come together over our appreciation of this great instrument and the music we create with them, a place where no judgement should be felt about an individuals style, level of experience, or the instrument they play. I’m fine with that.
    Several violins, eletric guitars, piano, Suzuki bluesmaster harmonica set, and my Dads old trombone from high school.

A bit of a conundrum: there are hundreds of posts on different threads, counseling against buying a particular brand or model of mandolin, or individual mandolin. However, a thread started basically to accumulate negative recommendations -- based, as so many "advice" posts are, on limited individual experience -- is problematical.

Probably should be handled case-by-case; I know that I've recommended several times, that a person requesting advice, avoid a particular instrument, or even a particular make of mandolin. Sometimes based on my experience, sometimes just based on an apparent consensus of Cafe posters who cite their experiences.

We shouldn't avoid our honest evaluations, which we hope are firmly based in experience and evidence. On the other hand, we shouldn't go out looking for bad things to say about all the instruments sold by a particular brand.
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

7. The following members say thank you to allenhopkins for this post:

AHoyle 

If you ask for advice, you should be able to get it, but the reality is a newbie doesn't realize the importance of a setup, regardless of the price range he or she is shopping. This is a more dire situation the cheaper the mandolin. It is a fact we jaded folks don't want to admit, that a Rogue can be made to play well, as can a whole host of other budget mandolins. But should you "waste" your time with them? IMHO, no.

Read a bunch of what should I buy threads and over and over you will be recommended the Kentucky KM 150, or and Eastman 305, or one of the solid wood Loars, by those who have been there, done that. I bought a close out Michael Kelly, a brand that few here would tell you to buy. Out of the box it was horrible. One would have to pay a Luthier's $150 to get playable. But I bought it to hone my setup skills on, and after a bunch of work, I'm very glad to have it as my beater, and it would make a fine first mandolin. But ask here and it would be on the do not buy list, not unjustifiable give the poor factory setup.

A newbie recently stated they found a Weber Gallatin to be hard to play. I assure you, setup properly one would be a joy to own. So don't beat yourself up over it. Also don't shortchange yourself. Buy the best mandolin you can possibly afford. You deserve it. If that is a Kentucky KM 150 for $380 or a Weber Gallatin for $2000, go for it.

There are some very reputable dealers you can feel confident buying a used Gallatin from, for around $1200, and you won't go wrong.
    Silverangel A
    Arches F style kit
    1913 Gibson A-1

I agree that based on experience/evidence we can come to conclusions on many things but as you said it was just started with to much negativity. Even after I hit post I instantly regretted my decision. I guess maybe the better way would have been to say what would be good investments in each price bracket. Excluding custom one man shop builders. Cause there’s a lot to be had from $100-$2500 out there, and based on knowledge from experience and evidence from folks who have it. To lend there knowledge in aiding people who don’t have that experience level yet by helping them Understand what differences and preferences they may or may not even know they have yet or what options are out there( such as neck shape, nut width, Technique, style.,and brands who may not be well known to consider) basically a what could I buy in in these price brackets that that would help me advance and not hold me back.

As I’m sure most know a well setup inexpensive instrument can get a beginner a long way until they feel the need to upgrade.
    When I was an inexperienced beginner i didn’t know what to look for. And that’s kind of what I wanted to go for in that thread tho it just was a mess from the beginning (Not trying to start another thread within a thread) just offering some kind of explanation as to what was in my mind when I started it.
    but oh well we live and learn and mistakes are always part of that process. As long as I learn from mistakes I’ll be a better person for it.
    Thanks for not raking me over the coals.
    Andy Hoyle

You can post and immediately delete if you have second thoughts. Just delete the body of the post, and type you had second thoughts. Ask me how I know.
    Silverangel A
    Arches F style kit
    1913 Gibson A-1

Yeah found that out to late when they closed it for me. I’m still learning how to use everything here as well. Haha

Blog Entries

Already replied to the OP's contact yesterday and will reiterate it for anyone interested. Apology accepted. Time to move on and not lose sleep over it. Purpose of this forum also includes we don't endure what someone else might think the guidelines of this site's operations should be. Thanks, but with the input from Ted Eschliman, our Chief Moderator, these are already in place and are not open to public discussion.

13. The following members say thank you to Mandolin Cafe for this post: