Thread: Up grading my Flinthill

Blog Entries

Default Up grading my Flinthill

I bought a flint hill F style quite a few years ago, and it has really opened up and sounds quite pleasant. I enjoy it. At one time I was considering upgrading to a finer instrument but I could not justify the money for one, then listening to them I could not hear thousands of dollars worth of difference. So my question is since I am replacing my tuners with Grovers, what is the consensus on bone nuts vs. ABS which is what it currently has? I was thinking of replacing it to improve my open strings.

Default Re: Up grading my Flinthill

My feeling is if you can't hear the difference several thousands of dollars buys, whatever nut you have on your mandolin is just fine. Obviously it sounds very good to you. But for no good reason but to change, I'd go with a bone nut, but I did this to my Michael Kelly and can't say there was much, if any, difference.
    Silverangel A
    Arches F style kit
    1913 Gibson A-1

3. The following members say thank you to Br1ck for this post:

Default Re: Up grading my Flinthill

I agree with Brick. What is limiting the Flinthill is not the nut, bridge, or tuners, it is what it is assuming proper set up.if you are satisfied with it play the crap out of it as is, and save your money for when your ears tell you it's time to upgrade IMHO