Thread: Javonda Wilson: Bill Monroe and Friends: Inside the Life of Bill

Oval holes are cool David Lewis's Avatar

Default Javonda Wilson: Bill Monroe and Friends: Inside the Life of Bill

Has anyone else read this? It is, by my count, the fourth (?) book of five that are directly on Bill Monroe: Bossmen, Can't you hear me calling, The Music of Bill Monroe and Tom Ewing's book. I may be wrong (I haven't counted Rosenstein's 'Bluegrass', for example).

I'd be interested to know any back story on it - the author claims to have been a friend of Monroe's - and she certainly has pictures I've never seen before. It's not a professionally produced book - there are typos, grammatical, syntactical errors. Stylistic eccentricities pepper the text. (This is not meant to be condescending - I'm just pointing it out.)

Yet, it has some interesting insights.

I did a search, and no-one seems to have looked at it yet?

I bought it on Kindle - it would have been cheap. (Not because of the book, but because of my buying habits.)

Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by David Lewis; Feb-20-2019 at 4:47am. Reason: improved a bit.
    JBovier ELS; Epiphone MM-50 VN; Epiphone MM-40L; Gretsch New Yorker G9310; Washburn M1SDLB;

Fender Nashville Deluxe Telecaster; Squier Modified Vintage Cabronita Telecaster; Gretsch 5420T; Fender Tim Armstrong Hellcat: Washburn Banjo B9; Ibanez RB 5string; Ibanez RB 4 string bass

Pedalboard for ELS: Morley Cry baby Miniwah - Tuner - EHX Soul Food Overdrive - EHX Memory Toy analog Delay
    Fender Blues Jr Tweed; Fender Greta;

Default Re: Javonda Wilson: Bill Monroe and Friends: Inside the Life of B

I bought & read it 18 months or so ago. Very amateurishly put together,but then again,she's no pro-writer. Interesting 'for what it is',
    Ivan
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Stelling Bellflower BANJO
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ivan Kelsall For This Useful Post:

Did you mean by Javonda Charlene Smith? Yes, she did live with Monroe on the farm for many years (1989 - 1994) taking care of his daughter Melissa, the farm animals, the house and Bill's personal senior needs as well. Ewing mentions her in his book. There are 2 books she wrote about her love, devotion and care for Monroe from her heart. Lots of typo errors, and poor quality photos, but worth having if you are a Monroeite. The first book you speak of was published in 2013 and the 2nd one called "The Sequel" in 2017. You would need them both to understand the full scope of her involvement with Monroe and his friends. She credits me with helping her on some of the details on the mandolins. I've seen the books for sale at amazon and ebay.

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to f5loar For This Useful Post:

Oval holes are cool David Lewis's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by f5loar View Post
    Did you mean by Javonda Charlene Smith? Yes, she did live with Monroe on the farm for many years (1989 - 1994) taking care of his daughter Melissa, the farm animals, the house and Bill's personal senior needs as well. Ewing mentions her in his book. There are 2 books she wrote about her love, devotion and care for Monroe from her heart. Lots of typo errors, and poor quality photos, but worth having if you are a Monroeite. The first book you speak of was published in 2013 and the 2nd one called "The Sequel" in 2017. You would need them both to understand the full scope of her involvement with Monroe and his friends. She credits me with helping her on some of the details on the mandolins. I've seen the books for sale at amazon and ebay.
    Thanks for this. The photos in particular are interesting but the personal details all positive HG I’ve an insight into the complicated man.

And how I typed ‘wilson’ when it is clearly ‘Smith’ I’ll never know.

I will chase up the sequel. Though the one I have ends with bills grave?
    JBovier ELS; Epiphone MM-50 VN; Epiphone MM-40L; Gretsch New Yorker G9310; Washburn M1SDLB;

Fender Nashville Deluxe Telecaster; Squier Modified Vintage Cabronita Telecaster; Gretsch 5420T; Fender Tim Armstrong Hellcat: Washburn Banjo B9; Ibanez RB 5string; Ibanez RB 4 string bass

Pedalboard for ELS: Morley Cry baby Miniwah - Tuner - EHX Soul Food Overdrive - EHX Memory Toy analog Delay
    Fender Blues Jr Tweed; Fender Greta;

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Monroe and friends sequal book cover.jpg 
Views:	120 
Size:	1.02 MB 
ID:	175028

8. The following members say thank you to f5loar for this post: