Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The String Instrument Craftsman magazine (no mando content)

F-style Apostate

Default The String Instrument Craftsman magazine (no mando content)

I ran across an old binder with the first 14 issues of "The String Instrument Craftsman" magazine and wondered if anyone else is familiar with this publication, and knows what eventually became of it. Issue 1 was published Jan/Feb 1988, and the last issue I have, #14, was published for Nov/Dec 1990.

Very nice luthiery magazine from the day evidently. A friend of mine subscribed and gave me these first 3 volumes when he no longer wanted them.

Any info appreciated.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SIC.jpg 
Views:	286 
Size:	1.01 MB 
ID:	175109  

Default Re: The String Instrument Craftsman magazine (no mando content)

Thanks for posting this- quite a flashback! I remember that from back in the day; my copies are loooooong gone. Don Teeter, author of the old 1970s repair books, turned me on to it. That was a pretty cool publication- simple and to the point with lots of useful tips. I think they used to generate subscriptions from a little ad in the back of one of the guitar magazines. That was a wishful business model even on a good day. Can you scan the whole thing so I can see who the editor and publishing credits were by? I believe they were associated with one of the groups like the Guild of American Luthiers or ASIA. I was living in Japan at the time and I remember it would take months for snail mail to deliver it and most or the cover would be destroyed.

F-style Apostate

Looksl like Siminoff was on board.

This is just one of those days- no matter how I try to do it, the Cafe software insists on presenting this picture inverted. So just turn your head sideways to look at it.

BTW- do you know how many years this publication ran?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1864.jpg 
Views:	208 
Size:	562.5 KB 
ID:	175112  

Sounds like it was published by GPI which publishes Guitar Player magazine. I think Jim Crockett and Hatlo were both from there too.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Yup, Crocket was the editor. If I recall it was short lived- maybe two years. At the time, Guitar Player was at the top of the game with probably 100,000 or more copies sold per moth. This one had maybe 1500 yearly subscribers, so the corporate guys cancelled it.....

Quote Originally Posted by grandcanyonminstrel View Post
    . . . so the corporate guys cancelled it.....
    Corporate guys can be such a drag!
    Purr more, hiss less. Barn Cat Mandolins Photo Album

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bob Clark For This Useful Post:

I am very interested in borrowing and scanning the String Instrument Craftsman issues to PDF for the Association of Stringed Instrument Artisans (ASIA) - hoping Rick Lindstrom might loan them fir scanning... I am Dick Boak.

9. The following members say thank you to dickboak for this post:

Nice to see you lurking around here!
    www.condino.com

Crafted by hand in a workshop powered by the sun.

I remember acquiring a binder with a bunch of these issues (perhaps all?) from a coworker whose late relative had owned them. I bought a box of luthier supplies, tools, parts and an instrument or two from them. The binder and a lot of luthier books were included in the bundle. I eventually got rid of a lot of printed stuff that was taking over but I did pore over them while I had the issues. It was fun to see these show up.
    Old Hometown, Cabin Fever String Band

F-style Apostate

Quote Originally Posted by dickboak View Post
    I am very interested in borrowing and scanning the String Instrument Craftsman issues to PDF for the Association of Stringed Instrument Artisans (ASIA) - hoping Rick Lindstrom might loan them fir scanning... I am Dick Boak.
    Dick- At this point I'd be happy to give them to you for the cost of shipping. That way they won't end up in a landfill somewhere when I croak. LOL

Text me at 386.438.9810

Yup, Crocket was the editor. If I recall it was short lived- maybe two years. At the time, Guitar Player was at the top of the game with probably 100,000 or more copies sold per moth. This one had maybe 1500 yearly subscribers, so the corporate guys cancelled it.....
    Not quite. I was a contributor and subscriber from day one. Jim Hatlo was the editor. When Guitar Player Inc. was sold to Magnum Publishing they let it live for a little while. There were only 14 bi-monthly issues before they let it die. It was a pro-written "how to" publication for other pros and serious amateurs. No advertisements - just hard info with photos, and technical drawings. 16 pages per issue (Issue 1 was only 12 pages).

Recently a group of former authors (like me) sought to resurrect the info from SIC in either a compilation (224 pages in all), or to host all issues online. We've gotten part of the way. Dick Boak got hold of all 14 copies and scanned them. He then went to a lot of trouble to photoshop all the 3 ring binder holes out and the stains from the copper staples. He hosted all 14 issues on a website for a short time, and I distributed the link to about 50 people on the Official Luthiers Forum and the Seymour Duncan Forum. Another 20 people have been emailed the files to enjoy.

I now have 3 thumbdrives with all 14 issues, and all issues saved in a compressed form on my PC. If you'd like to get all 14 issues of SIC for free, PM me your email adress and I'll send them out over 3 days (to keep your inbox freed up). I also had 5 copies of the files printed in the original 3 colors, bound, and placed in plastic covers. 3 are already sold. For $50 I'll mail one to you (that's what they cost me), and I'll cover the shipping.

Dick Boak hopes to eventually host the files on the ASIA website, or his personal website - but the ASIA board needs to talk about it at their next meeting.

My name is Chris Pile, formerly of Six String Fever in Wichita, KS. I was a Gibson and Fender authorized repairman in the 80's and early 90's before moving my shop out of the music store and back home. I was a charter member of ASIA, and wrote a few things for them, too - back in the day.

Here's what the cover of Issue 1, Volume 1 looked like. Yes - that's my article and name at the top of the page.

https://imgur.com/viGdDsc

Okay, just emailed out the first 5 issues of SIC to Mandolin Cafe users. Will keep sending until these 4 users get them all.

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to NotMelloCello For This Useful Post:

Bump is case anyone else is interested in these files. I can email them to you, or you can send me a thumbdrive and I'll be happy to copy them for you and return the drive. If you like hard copies and don't wish to print 224 pages, I still have 2 copies of the book - $50 postpaid anywhere in the lower 48. This is a great resource if you work on string instruments as a builder or repairman.

In like Flynn! I can't wait to read all of them.
    My avatar is of my OldWave Oval A

Creativity is just doing something wierd and finding out others like it.

18. The following members say thank you to John Bertotti for this post:

When I bought my first guitar, I was older, I needed to work on the trem. I googled and stumbled on an article and used it to learn the trem. Well I got my copy of this today and low and behold what is the first article! This is going to be a great read!

It gets even better, John!

21. The following members say thank you to NotMelloCello for this post:

I am down to one book, and I've added burning CD's to my repertoire. So.... you can request that I send you all 14 PDF files via email, buy the last book, send me a thumbdrive to fill and return by mail, or I can send you a CD in the mail. That's a lot of choices! By now, over 70 people have requested these files and I stand ready to send out more.... So lemme know.

23. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to NotMelloCello For This Useful Post:

Hey, Chris, much thanks to you, Dick and anybody else who helped with making this available! Looking forward to getting the rest of the files.

-m

I’m glad to see you made it over here!

Just a reminder.... All the books are sold. Still sending out SIC Files via email, and lately - via CD and thumbdrives.

Hello,
    Do you still have the string instrument craftsman files? I do not know how much you charge for them. I hope the valuable information does not get lost over time. Anyway thank you for your time.

At this point, I have shared these files with almost 200 people.
    While most accept them via email, a few have sent me thumbdrives to load and then return via snail mail.
    I still do not charge to share this information.
    Feel free to contact me via a PM, and I'll be happy to help you.

It's 224 pages of solid information written by luthiers who know their subjects.

29. The following members say thank you to Chris Pile for this post:

Thanks for offering this Chris—I will PM you. 👍
    Andy

I should add that all the files are in PDF format. You can read them, share them, print them off, but not edit them.

32. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Chris Pile For This Useful Post:

These are still in a folder on my desktop in the top right corner, every page is a great read! thanks again!

34. The following members say thank you to John Bertotti for this post: