Thread: Transposition tool

Default Transposition tool

Hi,
    I recently made a little tool that helps me to transpose songs more easily.
    I thought I'd share that here in case someone finds it useful.
    I called it Transpositor, here is a demo gif.

It's 3D-printed, but I think it could also be fairly easily made out of some plywood or even cardboard or hard paper or the like.

Default Re: Transposition tool

Cool. Sure beats counting on your fingers. For sale ?
    No matter where I go, there I am...Unless I'm running a little late.

If you think in numbers 1 4 5 and know what the chords are in each key transposing is very simple with no tools or finger counting. I will make a slip of paper for folks starting that goes like this

C F G Am D
    D G A F#M E
    E A B C#m F#
    F Bb C Gm D
    G C D Em A

etc. with the 1 4 and 5 noted so they can learn. I will do all the keys so they know what the chords are in each key, I will also add the 2ond and 6th for them. Once you know what chords are in the keys and think of them as a root (1) 4 and 5 it's very easy to play a song in any key.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pops1 For This Useful Post:

Pittsburgh Bill
    Blog Entries

Thanks. Looks like a useful tool. I have a ring my wife got me that rotates utilizing the same concept. I used it quite a bit when I first got a mandola, played it like a mandolin, and was always needing to transpose. Chords/rhythm comes to me second nature now after having to rely on my ring or a "Circle of Fifths" for some time. I just wish it was so easy for me to transpose melodic leads. For me, I will be dead and not yet accomplished transposing leads without a pencil, paper, and an extra hour.
    Market your tool in the Cafe Classifieds. I think you will have some takers.
    Big Muddy EM8 solid body (Mike Dulak's final EM8 build)
    Kentucky KM-950
    Weber Gallatin A Mandola "D hole"
    Rogue 100A (current campfire tool & emergency canoe paddle)

Quote Originally Posted by Pittsburgh Bill View Post
    I have a ring my wife got me that rotates utilizing the same concept.
    When I read that sentence, I thought it was your wedding ring. That would be a nice for a musician: a wedding ring made of intersecting circles of fifths. Then you would always have it with you.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

7. The following members say thank you to Jim Garber for this post:

Astro 

Quote Originally Posted by vojtechkral View Post
    ...demo gif. ...
    Looks cool but I have a question: What does the "H" note do? I've never heard of that before. The circle in your pic has:
    C, G, D, A, E, H, F#, C#, Ab, Eb, B, F

For some reason, in German music notation H is used instead of B♮ (B-natural), and B instead of B♭ (B-flat). Talk about confusing but that is only the name of then note. When you read notes on the staff it is the same everywhere. Same with tablature. People also use Do–Re–Mi–Fa–Sol–La–Si instead A-B-C, etc. It is only when discussing the notes when it might get strange. I guess it is the same with the terms for note duration, breve, quavers, etc. vs. whole notes, half notes, quarter notes.

Lots more info on the subject here.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jim Garber For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Garber View Post
    For some reason, in German music notation H is used instead of B♮ (B-natural), and B instead of B♭ (B-flat). Talk about confusing but that is only the name of then note. When you read notes on the staff it is the same everywhere. Same with tablature. People also use Do–Re–Mi–Fa–Sol–La–Si instead A-B-C, etc. It is only when discussing the notes when it might get strange. I guess it is the same with the terms for note duration, breve, quavers, etc. vs. whole notes, half notes, quarter notes.

Lots more info on the subject here.
    Thanks Jim!

Quote Originally Posted by Astro View Post
    https://www.amazon.com/Music-Transpo...gateway&sr=8-2
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

13. The following members say thank you to MikeEdgerton for this post:

Astro 

Quote Originally Posted by Astro View Post
    I have zero experience with selling stuff and I don't think I could manufacture this in large quantities. That said, I could probably send out a couple, provided shipping from EU isn't too prohibitive...

15. The following members say thank you to vojtechkral for this post:

Astro 

Quote Originally Posted by JL277z View Post
    Looks cool but I have a question: What does the "H" note do? I've never heard of that before. The circle in your pic has:
    C, G, D, A, E, H, F#, C#, Ab, Eb, B, F
    That's the so called German system, where B is H and Bb is B. Apart from Germany it's also used in slavic and nordic countries.

I have blueprints for both Western and German variant.

17. The following members say thank you to vojtechkral for this post:

I still havent memorized the circle of fifths where I can transpose chord progressions in any key. I play with a guy that can do that and I'm jealous of that ability. I still have to "figure it out counting" in the weirder keys but it comes automatically somehow in the familiar ones although I've never consciously tried to learn it. Anyway, I like the simplicity of Voj's wheel rather than the very busy ones commercially available. But now that Ive seen yours, I can make one pretty easily. I also think Mikes idea of a double revolving ring you wear on your finger as jewlry with the circle of 5ths is a great idea. I'd buy one if it wasnt too much. Maybe out of stainless instead of gold. Ive seen these double revolving rings that people wear as "worry beads" sort of gives them something to twirl if rings bother you. Addendum: I just looked it up. They are called "spinner rings". I guess a jeweler could inscribe the notes on one. I'd have to have one that is very flay. Round ones that protrude bother the heck out of me.
    No matter where I go, there I am...Unless I'm running a little late.

I am comfortable playing and easily figuring out chords in most any key, without the circle of fifths. I have never memorized it either. A little memorization of keys and what chords are in them and, as I posted earlier, using numbers it makes is quite easy to play in other keys. Knowing scales would help playing melodies in varying keys as well. I don't think about transposing like let's move it up 2 steps, but instead think let's play it in G or let's play it in D, Bb or whatever key you would like to try. Knowing the chords in most keys is all you need to do.

Pittsburgh Bill
    Blog Entries

If anyone knows of an easy way to transpose melodies/leads on the fly, tell us your method. I have seen people do it, so I know it is a learnable skill. (Perhaps just not for me)
    Big Muddy EM8 solid body (Mike Dulak's final EM8 build)
    Kentucky KM-950
    Weber Gallatin A Mandola "D hole"
    Rogue 100A (current campfire tool & emergency canoe paddle)

Quote Originally Posted by vojtechkral View Post
    That's the so called German system, where B is H and Bb is B. Apart from Germany it's also used in slavic and nordic countries.

I have blueprints for both Western and German variant.
    Thanks Vojtechkral! It's good that you have both versions available.

Quote Originally Posted by Pittsburgh Bill View Post
    If anyone knows of an easy way to transpose melodies/leads on the fly, tell us your method. I have seen people do it, so I know it is a learnable skill. (Perhaps just not for me)
    Work on your scales and play tunes you know in different keys for practice. When you change keys don't just move a string over, pick a key that makes you change the pattern. D to C or Bb if you want to get creative. It helps a lot to know scales in most keys or the closed scales. There are tunes we play that I will play in four different places on the neck making it interesting. I do all the same notes. While I can't do every tune that way, I am able to do several on the fly because of knowing the scales.