Thread: Going to Nashville, looking for a new mandolin...

Default Going to Nashville, looking for a new mandolin...

So, I'm in the UK. In about 3 weeks we're going to have a few days in Nashville. I want to upgrade from my 30 buck starter to a newer, nicer mandolin. Nothing wrong with the one I have, but I feel that I've advanced enough, and I'm keen enough, that I'm ready for a new one. My budget is around 600 dollars, can you recommend places I should look? Not makes, I'll know it when I try it, but shops within my budget that won't look down on me for a comparatively small budget.
    Many thanks.
    Just learning - 3 weeks, 4 chords, 4 note sequence

Default Re: Going to Nashville, looking for a new mandolin...

I've found that all the shops you might think are too high end, got where they are by treating people right. They know the buyer of a $600 mandolin will someday likely spend $2000, then $5000........

I will caution you not to try mandolins too far past double your budget. But you need to educate yourself a bit too. You are going to Candyland.
    Silverangel A
    Arches F style kit
    1913 Gibson A-1

3. The following members say thank you to Br1ck for this post:

Teacher, repair person

Gruhn Guitars has some mandolins that are close to your price range.
    If you can manage to raise your budget to $1000, you will have more choices.

Gruhn's and Carter Vintage -- maybe leave your credit card at home!!
    Too many instruments...too little time

Quote Originally Posted by emmadragon View Post
    So, I'm in the UK. In about 3 weeks we're going to have a few days in Nashville. I want to upgrade from my 30 buck starter to a newer, nicer mandolin. Nothing wrong with the one I have, but I feel that I've advanced enough, and I'm keen enough, that I'm ready for a new one. My budget is around 600 dollars, can you recommend places I should look? Not makes, I'll know it when I try it, but shops within my budget that won't look down on me for a comparatively small budget.
    Many thanks.
    This just happened to me 10 days ago...weekend away with my wife in Nashville. I was out walking while she was napping, and I ran into Carter Vintage Guitars. Walked out with a Northfield. I say some decent mandolins in that range-I remember a couple Eastmans for sure. I had a convo with one of the guys there: he is quite an Eastman fan, so I doubt you'll feel any disrespect.

I bought a mandola from Gruhn. They left me and my wife ALONE in a small room for about an hour with 5 dollas. When we decided on one they offered to ship it (fully insured) for free, to Georgia so we did not have to pay state sales tax. I don't know about international shipping but we saved 8% if I remember right.

It was 9.25% when I was there in 2016. I saved a bundle when TOH did the same thing with a Weber River F I bought.
    Ray Dearstone #009 D1A (1999)
    Skip Kelley #063 Offset Two Point (2017)
    Arches #9 A Style (2005)
    Bourgeois M5A (2022)
    Hohner and Seydel Harmonicas (various keys)

"Heck, Jimmy Martin don't even believe in Santy Claus!"

That’s as it may be but the o/p will pay import duty + 20% VAT if it’s shipped back to the UK.

Quote Originally Posted by Ray(T) View Post
    That’s as it may be but the o/p will pay import duty + 20% VAT if it’s shipped back to the UK.
    Pity about the exchange rate at moment! US prices are not as attractive as they were before pound fell off cliff in June 2016......

11. The following members say thank you to chris24 for this post:

Nobody wants to go to two of the coolest instrument shops in the world, test drive everything, plunk down your hard earned cash for a new ride, and then NOT take it home to play and wait months for it to get across the ocean and clear customs.........

..........and maybe never see it because customs decided that one of the woods violated CITIES.
    Make sure to have very frank conversations with the shop owners about fears they may have, or what instruments can be purchased without having to worry about violations.
    Sory. Please don’t shoot the messenger.
    Eric Hanson
    Click #016/ Born on 2/29/08 - Sold to the next Conservator of this great mandolin!
    The search has ceased! (At least for now)
    Collings A-Style
    White #29R : Oh my!! This one is so AWESOME!!

14. The following members say thank you to Eric Hanson for this post:

I wouldn't have said it out loud then but it's probably safe to say it now. If you were from out of state Stan Jay would sell you an instrument. You would walk out with the instrument and he would mail an empty box to your address thereby getting around the sales tax. There has to be a fiddle(so to speak) where you can walk an instrument through customs without getting hit with fees. I've carried my mandolin all over the world and no one has ever asked me a thing.

Blog Entries

As long as your buyin anything, shops shouldn't give ya any grief over your budget-its still hard earned $ your spending?! Even if you don't buy anything I'm sure any shop will be accommodating. I've been to many shops and just looked mainly because I like old stuff from individual owners as dealer prices are always on the high side and in my years and hundreds of mandolins later, I must say individual prices have always been better for me than dealer prices!

Registered User grassrootphilosopher's Avatar

I think that the verdict is out for the shops that you should (probably must) visit:

- Gruhn Guitars (https://guitars.com/)
    - Carter Vintage (https://cartervintage.com/) and
    - Cotten Music (http://www.cottenmusic.com/inventory.html)

Out of these three shops only George Gruhn has an instrument in your price range on the website. If you want to buy new I would guess that you can do well with a new Kentucky A-style mando. Keep in mind that most music stores give you a "deal" on new instruments.

BUT: I would suggest that you ask about Strad-O-Lin mandolins (especially from the 30ies, no later than the 40ies). If they have one, if the price is right and it sounds nice... go for it. They look something like this (http://www.vintagemandolin.com/50s_stradolin_nsn.html) or like this Click image for larger version. 

Name:	nse2005-53.jpg 
Views:	129 
Size:	36.2 KB 
ID:	175589. This is my wonderful 30ies Strad-O-Lin that sounds better than many high dollar instrument.

I would advise you to try out as many instruments as you can at Gruhn´s and/or Carter´s etc. Don´t rush things. Be aware that you should also try expensive instruments if only to educate yourself about tone and playability. If you find what you are looking for, go for it. Don´t disregard other options.

Try out Craiglist. I´ve done some "research". Craiglist Nashville has
    - a Cromwell (vintage Gibson budget brand) that might be okay: https://nashville.craigslist.org/msg...?lang=en&cc=gb
    - a Kentucky (year is unclear) that might fit: https://nashville.craigslist.org/msg...?lang=en&cc=gb and
    - an Adams (looks a little bit funky but some of these sound indeed quite nice): https://nashville.craigslist.org/msg...?lang=en&cc=gb

If possible I would allways go vintage. If the playability is there the sound is mostly much nicer than a new instrument.

Just don´t forget. Since you´re from the UK you have TAMCO in Brighton (https://www.theacousticmusicco.co.uk/). Trevor Moyle stocks extremely nice new and used mandolins. It is the mandolin spot in Europe that needs visiting.
    Last edited by grassrootphilosopher; Mar-27-2019 at 6:54am.
    Olaf

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Hanson View Post
    ..........and maybe never see it because customs decided that one of the woods violated CITIES.
    Make sure to have very frank conversations with the shop owners about fears they may have, or what instruments can be purchased without having to worry about violations.
    Sory. Please don’t shoot the messenger.
    There would be ZERO chance of any CITES violations into the UK with a new, circa $1K mandolin. None at all.

A vintage instrument - possibly. Ivory nut, for example.

The point about duty + VAT is relevant, however.
    Gibson F5 'Harvey' Fern, Gibson F5 'Derrington' Fern
    Distressed Silverangel F 'Esmerelda' aka 'Maxx'
    Northfield Big Mon #127
    Ellis F5 Special #288
    '39 & '45 D-18's, 1950 D-28.

What caught me by surprise was that Bubinga was added to the woods controlled under CITES. 8 years ago I bought a used Gibson Blues King guitar on CL that was Bubinga instead of mahogany. It has become my main go to guitar and has gone all over the states. I guess it won't leave the country now.

Nashville has the best Craiglist in the country for instruments, IMHO.

Um, all this talk about various dodges to avoid state sales tax. Well, not to be a wet blanket or anything, but just because a vendor doesn’t collect sales tax, that doesn’t mean it’s not subject to tax. When an item is purchased from a vendor outside the buyer’s state of residence, the obligation shifts to the buyer to make sure the applicable tax is paid to their state of residence. In Pennsylvania, this is done through the state income tax filing process. Many retailers who didn’t collect tax in the past have begun doing so if they have a large economic footprint. Smaller retailers don’t, but the obligation to pay your tax does not disappear. It is maybe a fairly unenforceable “honor system” at this point, but avoidance of paying legitimate tax obligations to states hurts everybody, including public schools, the elderly, and countless others dependent on state funds. Ok, off the main topic I know. But since it was brought up on this thread, several times, I thought that it needed to be said. Getting off my high horse now. Carry on.
    Don

2016 Weber Custom Bitterroot F
    2011 Weber Bitterroot A
    1974 Martin Style A

22. The following members say thank you to multidon for this post:

The sales tax issue has just gotten more complicated after a Supreme Court decision that, in essence, supports a state's right to collect sales tax on goods shipped into the state. The requirements are different for every state (some have thresholds that a business has to reach before tax liability kicks in), and tax rates in many states differ from county to county, but the bottom line is, shipping out of state to avoid sales tax is no longer an option - except, of course, for those dealers who choose not to comply with the law.

24. The following members say thank you to walter carter for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by multidon View Post
    Um, all this talk about various dodges to avoid state sales tax. Well, not to be a wet blanket or anything, but just because a vendor doesn’t collect sales tax, that doesn’t mean it’s not subject to tax. When an item is purchased from a vendor outside the buyer’s state of residence, the obligation shifts to the buyer to make sure the applicable tax is paid to their state of residence. In Pennsylvania, this is done through the state income tax filing process. Many retailers who didn’t collect tax in the past have begun doing so if they have a large economic footprint. Smaller retailers don’t, but the obligation to pay your tax does not disappear. It is maybe a fairly unenforceable “honor system” at this point, but avoidance of paying legitimate tax obligations to states hurts everybody, including public schools, the elderly, and countless others dependent on state funds. Ok, off the main topic I know. But since it was brought up on this thread, several times, I thought that it needed to be said. Getting off my high horse now. Carry on.
    Well said. Folks hereabouts frequently cross up to New Hampshire to avoid paying sales tax on instruments (and cars, appliances, you name it). These same folks prefer to reside here in Mass. and for a good reason... the schools are better, the roads are better, services in general are better. That stuff doesn't pay for itself.
    "The paths of experimentation twist and turn through mountains of miscalculations, and often lose themselves in error and darkness!"
    --Leslie Daniel, "The Brain That Wouldn't Die."

Some tunes: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCa1...SV2qtug/videos

Here if you don't pay sales tax you are supposed to pay a use tax and send it in with your taxes. Use tax is the same % as sales tax.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

Best of luck to you. Nashville is a great place to look for mandolins.
    "Mongo only pawn in game of life." --- Mongo