Thread: Speed exercises with Chris Henry.

Default Speed exercises with Chris Henry.

https://youtu.be/Xy3ZRxxicF8

Very good video.

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Caleb For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Speed exercises with Chris Henry.

For your convenience:

When my kids were learning violin their teacher assigned exercises like these from the Essentials for Strings book. The main difference was the multiple picking on each note which does not really work on violin in the same way. In any case, thee are certainly good exercises but I got impatient with his needing to play and repeat each exercise. Play each scale with single. double, triple and quadruple notes then apply same to other patterns. I might also approach working through the keys through the circle of fifth or fourths. It is all good... and good for you!
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jim Garber For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries

Good stuff. That which does not kill us makes us stronger. So far, I am not sure it won't kill me, though.
    New to mando? Click this link -->Newbies to join us at the Newbies Social Group.

Just send an email to rob.meldrum@gmail.com with "mandolin setup" in the subject line and he will email you a copy of his ebook for free (free to all mandolincafe members).

My website and blog: honketyhank.com

Jim, thanks for embedding the video: I never can get that to work (I’ll prove it again below).

Here is living proof that Chris Henry’s drills worked for him. Absolutely insane speed (watch the whole thing; he goes face-melting mode at the end):

https://youtu.be/7A2YWmoij_A

It is very funny that the Chris has to play about 16 notes for one that the fiddle player plays. So he only gets a lot less per note. It hardy seems fair. I think he should complain to the mandolin union.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

I’ve been playing mandolin for about 12 years, mostly just noodling around, learning simple tunes that grab my ear, and making up simple tunes. I’ve never been disciplined about scales and practice etc. But this week I’ve been doing the exercises that Chris teaches here, and not even being all that disciplined about it, and I’m seeing major improvement in my speed and accuracy. It works! Thanks, Chris Henry!

The same exercises (and some - holy cow!) by Jacob Reuven:

https://youtu.be/FN2M8x7raN8

Great video !

Quote Originally Posted by Caleb View Post
    Jim, thanks for embedding the video: I never can get that to work (I’ll prove it again below).

Here is living proof that Chris Henry’s drills worked for him. Absolutely insane speed (watch the whole thing; he goes face-melting mode at the end):

https://youtu.be/7A2YWmoij_A
    I love just watching the others playing with him trying to keep up.

I've incorporated these into my practice routine. They are very helpful.

I recently used the pattern as the basis for a break during a jam and surprised myself.