Thread: Gibson A12 to F conversion

Default Gibson A12 to F conversion

I bought this 1968 A12 with a bad neck joint a while ago and decided to have some fun with it. With the neck off, I built a jig and carved a scroll into the Micky Mouse ear (this cut is not easy and is critical. I've seen an A12 conversion for sale with a scroll that looked awful). I removed the binding and finish, re-graduated the top, triple bound the top, added a fern inlay to the headstock, stained and re-burst the body and neck, and gave it a new lacquer finish. I replaced the bone nut, but kept the original tuners, bridge, tailpiece, and pickguard. I also have the original case with hot pink velvet interior.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	a12full.jpg 
Views:	458 
Size:	208.0 KB 
ID:	175206

Name:	a12front2.jpg 
Views:	391 
Size:	213.4 KB 
ID:	175207

Name:	a12top2.jpg 
Views:	419 
Size:	198.2 KB 
ID:	175208

Name:	a12top.jpg 
Views:	345 
Size:	229.3 KB 
ID:	175209

Name:	a12fern.jpg 
Views:	343 
Size:	245.3 KB 
ID:	175210

Name:	a12back.jpg 
Views:	325 
Size:	208.5 KB 
ID:	175211

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to bouldermandolin For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Gibson A12 to F conversion

They are out there, I know of one which was done with a nod and a wink. I have no idea what happened to it. The owner has passed away and I have no idea where it may have gone.
    There are others built from parts that went out the back door and not as nicely done.
    I wonder how many have been “modified”
    Timothy F. Lewis
    "If brains was lard, that boy couldn't grease a very big skillet" J.D. Clampett

Charley

A bunch of stuff with four strings

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Charles E. For This Useful Post:

Nice work! You took a less than desirable mandolin and made it look great! How does it sound?

Thanks. It sounds pretty good. It's bright and loud, strong mids and highs, a decent lower end, but I would say it lacks the "woodiness" I like.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bouldermandolin View Post
    Thanks. It sounds pretty good. It's bright and loud, strong mids and highs, a decent lower end, but I would say it lacks the "woodiness" I like.
    Still nice job who could not see what you did as a huge improvement and its still a genuine Gibson that looks F-like! Who says you can't make a silk-like purse out of a sow's ear!!
    Bernie
    ____
    Due to current budgetary restrictions the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off -- sorry about the inconvenience.

This is probably the nicest looking job of these I’ve seen. You see them on eBay occasionally but they are usually slop jobs.

I’m curious to hear more details about exactly how this was done. Like, what type of saw? What tools were used for the fine work? And how exactly did you create the volute?
    Don

2016 Weber Custom Bitterroot F
    2011 Weber Bitterroot A
    1974 Martin Style A

10. The following members say thank you to multidon for this post:

Like F model mandolins, the a12 has a mahogany block inside the mouse ear where the scroll gets carved. With the neck off, I built a jig the body could sit in and remain level (the back is arched and does lie flat on the saw table). Keeping the body level, I just cut the scroll out on my jig saw, like you would do on a typical F build. There was enough spruce on the top and maple on the back (of the scroll area) to let me create the traditional contours.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bouldermandolin For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries

WOW brother excellent inspiring work you did on that Gumby! Do you have before photos and in-process photos, I would love to see them along with other members I'm sure! I knew they had some serious wood originally and you sure did a fine job-I bet you took off a load of meat/wood! I read these had a hogwood neck block like twice the size of say a Traditional F-5 block?
    Well my ? was answered from a different thread-a conversion can be done and done very well "if one knows what they are doing" And you sure did it right, I would love to hear this one!