Thread: 2 Fret Questions

Default 2 Fret Questions

I have 2 questions about frets:

1. The Saga kit has small frets, which I don't like. Would I have to do anything other than remove and replace with medium fret wire?
    Do the slots need re-sawing to fit the tang of the larger fret?

2. I am planning my next build with a radiused fretboard. I see that Stewmac has radiused, precut frets. Could these be adapted to a mandolin by cutting some length off each end, or is it just easier to take fret wire and curve it to the frets?

Thanks for your advice.

Default Re: 2 Fret Questions

Stewmac has mandolin fretboards, no cutting required.
    Not all the clams are at the beach

Arrow Manouche
    Arrow Jazzbo
    Arrow G
    Clark 2 point
    Gibson F5L
    Gibson A-4
    Ratliff CountryBoy A

A clarification...my question is, "can I remove the small frets on the fretboard and replace with medium frets without having to make larger fret slots?

Quote Originally Posted by Rdeane View Post
    "can I remove the small frets on the fretboard and replace with medium frets without having to make larger fret slots?
    You are doing a refret at that point and refrets always require making sure the fret slot is repaired of chips from fret removal, cleaned out, and sized appropriately to the new fret.

5. The following members say thank you to Andy Miller for this post:

Rdeane 

Teacher, repair person

Ditto what Andy said.

Pulling frets without damage is not so easy for a beginner. You need a good set of pullers, and heat the frets with a soldering iron as you pull. Got to frets.com and read the articles on fret replacement.

I have always radiused my own fret wire. A slim pair of needle nose pliers with a small notch cut in the jaws is a useful tool for the job.

7. The following members say thank you to rcc56 for this post:

Rdeane 

As others have intimated, be prepared to repair lots of little chip outs from the dimples exiting the slot. Fretwire tangs are all the same size, regardless of the bead size, so your standard size 0.020-0.022ish slot will be fine.

Another good source for fretwire is Luthier's Merchantile. You can get standard guitar-sized wire (closer to 0.080") which is what many mandolin builders use now from them. Most wire I've bought from them already has a curve bent into it. Also, they carry EVO gold wire which has roughly 4x the lifespan of regular nickel silver wire. Well worth a few extra $ IMO.

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Rob Roy For This Useful Post:

If your fretwire is notpre-radiused when purchased, you can make a roller arrangement like this for rolling a curve in the frets.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WP_20190313_11_21_05_Pro.jpg 
Views:	106 
Size:	313.7 KB 
ID:	175442
    MLAtkinson
    ...do guitar players get GAS?

11. The following members say thank you to artdeco for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Roy View Post
    Fretwire tangs are all the same size, regardless of the bead size,
    This is not true - a quick look here will bear that out. While it's true that most saws commonly used for fret slotting will work OK with most fretwires, one still needs to understand if they're about to install wire with a tang that's a little heavy or a little light relative to the slot. It affects things like how easily the fret wants to seat, how well it wants to hold, and how much or how little it compresses/backbows the fretboard.

13. The following members say thank you to Andy Miller for this post:

Rdeane