Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Songs for a wedding

Default Re: Songs for a wedding

I think the OP is looking for something appropriate for the wedding ceremony itself, not the reception. Is that right, Paul? And aside from the processional and the signing, are you also playing background music as guests arrive and leave? Are any other musicians involved?

In my experience, the signing interval doesn't require specifically "wedding material"; it's a hole in the ceremony that needs to be filled with some music or entertainment. But of course if you're singing it should be a lyric that suits the occasion. Whatever you choose, you might want to run it past the bride and groom in advance just to be sure.

I recall a time when it was standard practice to play We've Only Just Begun as the first dance at the reception, but you'd need a pretty elderly couple to get away with that nowadays.

Quote Originally Posted by EdHanrahan View Post
    Since we're straying a bit from the OP's request, let me keep it a little more focused on, ya know, a wedding?

Even now, 40+ years later, I'm still floored by my wife's college buddy who chose Jefferson Airplane's (by then, relatively obscure) "Today" for their first dance:
    I have sung and played "Today" at several weddings over the years. A beautiful song with beautiful lyrics.

I think "A Prairie Jewel" by John Reischman would be a good wedding song. Maybe not as hard to play as it sounds either.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Clausen View Post
    I think the OP is looking for something appropriate for the wedding ceremony itself, not the reception. Is that right, Paul? And aside from the processional and the signing, are you also playing background music as guests arrive and leave? Are any other musicians involved?

In my experience, the signing interval doesn't require specifically "wedding material"; it's a hole in the ceremony that needs to be filled with some music or entertainment. But of course if you're singing it should be a lyric that suits the occasion. Whatever you choose, you might want to run it past the bride and groom in advance just to be sure.

I recall a time when it was standard practice to play We've Only Just Begun as the first dance at the reception, but you'd need a pretty elderly couple to get away with that nowadays.
    You’re right: It’s just for the ceremony, and just instrumental. I’m not shy about singing, but my voice isn’t appropriate for this type of thing. I’m just making a few suggestions to the couple, and seeing what they’re interested in.

5. The following members say thank you to paulspafford for this post: