Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: D'Addario Strings - Ask Us Anything

Question D'Addario Strings - Ask Us Anything

Hello everyone!

Kyle here from the fretted D'Addario product development and management team. I wanted to create a thread where everyone and anyone can ask any questions or leave any comments they might have about our mandolin strings or accessories.

I'll do my best to answer everyone, but please be patient as I still also have to work today I'm looking forward to hearing from you all!

-Kyle

2. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to D'Addario Strings For This Useful Post:

Default Re: D'Addario Strings - Ask Us Anything

I see you no longer credit older points for rewards program. Bummer. I have a shopping bag of them. Love your strings though.

Unfortunately, the system and software that processed the old points was permanently shut down in August of 2018 so our digital team could focus on developing and evolving our Player's Circle program, which offers a lot more options for gear, including strings and accessories now, as well as free shipping for players around the world.

Just saw your post on the other thread to answer my question on the CM monel set, thanks!
    Drew
    2020 Northfield 4th Gen F5
    2022 Northfield NFS-F5E
    2019 Northfield Flat Top Octave
    2021 Gold Tone Mando Cello
    https://www.instagram.com/pilotdrew85

I have a nothfield carved top octave which has a set of your strings on it. The gauges northfield use are unusual and you don’t sell them as sets or singles, just bulk. I got a few extra sets from northfield, but would be nice if we could get them right from you guys. I know a few other owners of these instruments with the same concern. Any plans to make this available, even just as singles at retail?

Quote Originally Posted by Ramparte View Post
    I have a nothfield carved top octave which has a set of your strings on it. The gauges northfield use are unusual and you don’t sell them as sets or singles, just bulk. I got a few extra sets from northfield, but would be nice if we could get them right from you guys. I know a few other owners of these instruments with the same concern. Any plans to make this available, even just as singles at retail?
    We don't have any immediate plans to release those specific gauges, but I can take note of it. I have heard of people buying our single phosphor bronze and plain steel guitar strings and taking the ball-end out with pliers - I know that's not the best solution but it's the most immediate. The loop will be a little smaller than what it you typically see on a mandolin string, but it can still work.

8. The following members say thank you to D'Addario Strings for this post:

Cobalt 

I've been contemplating Monel strings for my Loar. Read many of the threads here on MC but your response on the other Monel thread this morning satisfied my questions about the string composition, history and sound. I want a richer sound than what I've been getting from EJ74s and others I've tried. It's time for a string change anyway so I'm headed over to get me a set and try them out. Thank you!
    "If your memories exceed your dreams, you have begun to die." - Anonymous

Quote Originally Posted by D'Addario Strings View Post
    We don't have any immediate plans to release those specific gauges, but I can take note of it. I have heard of people buying our single phosphor bronze and plain steel guitar strings and taking the ball-end out with pliers - I know that's not the best solution but it's the most immediate. The loop will be a little smaller than what it you typically see on a mandolin string, but it can still work.
    Recently I've broken a number of mandolin E strings, entirely my fault, I don't blame the strings. I found the most cost-effective way to replace those was to buy a 5-pack of guitar strings and remove the ball.

I was I interested in trying Monel strings , but need them in a light gauge: .010 to .034

Quote Originally Posted by FredK View Post
    I've been contemplating Monel strings for my Loar. Read many of the threads here on MC but your response on the other Monel thread this morning satisfied my questions about the string composition, history and sound. I want a richer sound than what I've been getting from EJ74s and others I've tried. It's time for a string change anyway so I'm headed over to get me a set and try them out. Thank you!
    What date is your Loar-signed F-5?

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AlanN For This Useful Post:

I can't imagine the monel strings making your mandolin sound any 'richer'. I suppose it's possible though.

The last Loar I played was at Carter Vintage and that was several years ago. I thought it sounded pretty darn good with the J74s on it.
    "I play BG so that's what I can talk intelligently about." A line I loved and pirated from Mandoplumb

Pittsburgh Bill
    Blog Entries

1st question
    After much experimentation my go to strings on all of my mandolins are EJ74. How, as a manufacturer, would you expect tone to change by switching to monels?
    2nd question
    One of my mandolas sounds best to me with John Pearse med. and my other dola sounds best to me with D'Addario med. Are monels available or in the works for dolas?
    Big Muddy EM8 solid body (Mike Dulak's final EM8 build)
    Kentucky KM-950
    Weber Gallatin A Mandola "D hole"
    Rogue 100A (current campfire tool & emergency canoe paddle)

16. The following members say thank you to Pittsburgh Bill for this post:

Do you or do you plan to make a ball end version of your EJ80?

Thanks!
    Baron
    MandoLessons: Free Online Mandolin Lessons
    Velocipede: My Fiddle Tune Duo
    Old Time Mandolin: Solo Old Time Mandolin Album

Quote Originally Posted by AlanN View Post
    Possibly "The Loar" mandolin?

Allowing for subjectivity, how would you compare Nickel Bronze to Monel?
    Girouard Concert A5
    Girouard Custom A4
    Nordwall Cittern
    Barbi Mandola
    Crump OM-1s Octave
    www.singletonstreet.com

Kyle, I just purchased a Gibson F5 Custom what string do you recommend?

Quote Originally Posted by AlanN View Post
    Definitely not a signed Loar. Sorry if I gave the wrong impression. I'm neither that good or that wealthy. It's simply The Loar 520VS from TMS. EJ74s sound good and are my go to strings if I don't have any others on hand. Strings have made big differences in the tone along with different picks. I'm very happy with my mandolin - it's a keeper - but I do want to upgrade. Until then, I keep experimenting with different strings. The Monels are very attractive to me right now. I'm looking forward to their arrival.
    "If your memories exceed your dreams, you have begun to die." - Anonymous

No questions. I just wanted to say that I've been using your (non-coated) phosphor bronze strings for 35+ years, and I'm still very happy with them. Thanks for making such a good string!
    "it's not in bad taste, if it's funny" - john waters

Dedicated J74 string user here. Question: Would you folks entertain offering an electric flat wound 12 string set? There are few choices out there. Thanks!
    Old Hometown, Cabin Fever String Band

Love your EJ73's on my Piccolo Mandolin, and your EJ62's on my Flat-Top mandolin. Moments ago I ordered 3 sets of each from Strings and Beyond. No question, just a comment that I think it's really cool that you have opened a thread inviting questions. That kind of open dialog speaks volumes. Thanks very much. I'll keep using your strings on these instruments. I'm a happy customer.
    Purr more, hiss less. Barn Cat Mandolins Photo Album

I use your strings on all of my instruments and am really liking the monels on my Giruoard F-5.

Is Fan Tao still heading the violin family string research and development dept? I met him a few times a VSA events a number of years ago and he was a very interesting and nice guy to converse with.
    Charley

A bunch of stuff with four strings

Why is the only wound A string in the whole market on only one set of your strings(float tops) Any you don't offer singles?
    Have you considered silk cored strings like GHS offers(to temper brightness)?

Those not asking questions are doing this wrong...no?
    2007 Weber Custom Elite "old wood"
    2017 Ratliff R5 Custom #1148
    Several nice old Fiddles
    2007 Martin 000-15S 12 fret Auditorium-slot head
    Deering Classic Open Back
    Too many microphones

BridgerCreekBoys.com

I'm very happy with my mandolin - it's a keeper - but I do want to upgrade
    Yep. That defines almost all of us
    Girouard Concert A5
    Girouard Custom A4
    Nordwall Cittern
    Barbi Mandola
    Crump OM-1s Octave
    www.singletonstreet.com

28. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Chuck Leyda For This Useful Post:

mando-evangelist August Watters's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Brian560 View Post
    I was I interested in trying Monel strings , but need them in a light gauge: .010 to .034
    Yes, and we need an extra-light set too, for vintage bowlbacks. (perhaps .0095 - 013 - 021 - 030) There's nothing like that on the market (other than the GHS A240, but they're phosphor bronze, not the best choice for this purpose). Part of the problem with most modern strings is that they cut through th old, thin frets quickly.

Any chance we can get some high-quality, lower-tension strings for vintage instruments?
    Exploring Classical Mandolin (Berklee Press, 2015)
    Progressive Melodies for Mandocello (KDP, 2019) (2nd ed. 2022)
    New Solos for Classical Mandolin (Hal Leonard Press, 2020)
    2021 guest artist, mandocello: Classical Mandolin Society of America

Hello,
    I enjoy your strings on my mandocello, but I rarely use your ‘cello set because the C strings, at 74, are just too thick for me. I’ve been left to cutting out the ball of the 70’s.

Your loop end strings skip everything from 62-78.

Is there any chance you could make the individual loop-end strings up through 70 or even 74?

Thanks!
    Peter