Thread: Gretsch, Breedlove, or Other?

Default Gretsch, Breedlove, or Other?

I'm gripped with mandolin fever again and who knows, maybe this time I'll actually buy one. I have guitar experience (chords), violin experience, and tenor guitar experience that allowed me to use my violin knowledge after bowing became too painful for my shoulder.

I like instruments that are lower tension and pleasing to play, with a more rounded and mellow sound. My tenor guitar is 22.5" scale which is a bit much of a stretch with my hand agility/dexterity.

The 2015+ Breedlove Crossover OO seems on paper to be a good instrument. Wider neck and string spacing, a radiused fretboard, and all solid wood unlike the pre-2015 models.

The Gretsch New Yorker mahogany mandolin seems like another potential catch as it's made of mahogany which, in my guitar experience, means a warmer and more mellow tone than spruce.

I like the A-style mandolin with an oval soundhole. Is there something else in the sub-$500 range that I should be looking at? I'm not looking for absolute perfection, but rather something on the 80/20 principle. I lack variety in local stores to try things out but from what's been there (Loar, Recording King, Rogue, all with crusty strings) I know I feel more comfortable on something with a longer scale length and wider string spacing.

Default Re: Gretsch, Breedlove, or Other?

The Breedlove Crossover is a fine instrument.

In your range and with wider string spacing/nut width, your options are pretty limited. If set up well the Crossover can serve you well to learn on, but, IMO, doesn’t have the tone of Eastman and Kentucky models in that range, which are also available in oval holes (Eastman 304 or possibly a used 504 come to mind). But, the Eastman has a nut width a little less than 1 and 1/8.

Big Muddy, I believe, has done some wider nut mandolins for customers, though I’ve not owned or played one of his, so apologize if I’m incorrect.

Also, my Crossover experience is based on the older models with the laminate back and sides. I haven’t played a newer one.

There are some Gretsch fans out there, but I’ve been underwhelmed with the couple I’ve seen at guitar center, though they admittedly needed new strings and set-ups...
    Chuck

A flat top should be had in that range. Maybe you could find an old Flatiron. People seem to like Morris mandolins you might ouch out on too. If an arch top is what you want, the 300 series Eastmans are solid choices.

Like in all things mandolin, doubling your budget opens up many more possibilities.
    Silverangel A
    Arches F style kit
    1913 Gibson A-1

Quote Originally Posted by Br1ck View Post

Like in all things mandolin, doubling your budget opens up many more possibilities.
    True in so many areas of life
    Not all the clams are at the beach

Arrow Manouche
    Arrow Jazzbo
    Arrow G
    Clark 2 point
    Gibson F5L
    Gibson A-4
    Ratliff CountryBoy A

My Florida is scooped pheffernan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by thx712517 View Post
    I like the A-style mandolin with an oval soundhole. Is there something else in the sub-$500 range that I should be looking at? I'm not looking for absolute perfection, but rather something on the 80/20 principle. I lack variety in local stores to try things out but from what's been there (Loar, Recording King, Rogue, all with crusty strings) I know I feel more comfortable on something with a longer scale length and wider string spacing.
    If you require a wide nut, then this Mid-Missouri might suit you:

https://www.mandolincafe.com/ads/136493#136493

If you don’t, then this one might be an alternative:

https://www.mandolincafe.com/ads/136771#136771
    1924 Gibson A Snakehead
    2005 National RM-1
    2007 Hester A5
    2009 Passernig A5
    2015 Black A2-z
    2010 Black GBOM
    2017 Poe Scout
    2014 Smart F-Style Mandola
    2018 Vessel TM5
    2019 Hogan F5

True, but we get into Zeno's Paradox here where I keep getting halfway to the better budget, then halfway again.... Just teasing. I'm looking at flat tops with oval holes as it seems one way to get a better instrument for a set price since the cost of manufacture will be lower.

Breedlove Crossover looks good on paper and less so in person.
    Though it has solid woods, they are pressed, not carved. Also, they have a very thick poly finish.
    I would recommend the Kentucky KM-270 (or 272, 276) for a far superior oval in that price range.
    I bought both a Breedlove & Kentucky and played them side by side for a week. I returned the Breedlove and still own the Kentucky.
    https://www.elderly.com/acoustics/ma...0-mandolin.htm
    https://www.elderly.com/acoustics/ma...2-mandolin.htm

===========

A short video demonstration of my old Gretsch . . . .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mNRj-fDIbFk

In this price range, I think the Kentucky 270 series is the way to go. I think you'd have to spend double to do better.

Dave Sheets

A +1 for the flatiron pancakes if you are lucky enough to find one in that price range.
    -Dave
    Flatiron A
    Way too many other instruments

===========

Quote Originally Posted by Eric F. View Post
    In this price range, I think the Kentucky 270 series is the way to go. I think you'd have to spend double to do better.
    Here is an old thread with a review and video of the Kentucky KM-272 . . . lots of love for this little beauty . . .

https://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/t...+km-272+review

I have a Flatiron 1N that I love, but they’ve been going in the 600-650$ range of late and aren’t being made anymore (necessitating patience and frequent visits to the classifieds), hence my Big Muddy/Mid Mo suggestion. Not sure why, but I have trouble remembering that Howard Morris builds flat tops as well. From what I’ve heard from owners of his mandolins, they’re a step up from the Eastman and Kentucky models mentioned above.
    Chuck

I played an Eastman 315 yesterday as well as a 615 and an Epiphone A-style as that's what they had in stock at the place I visited. The 315 felt the best but the neck was tight for me in regard to string spacing.

I'm all about the pancakes. Last time I was looking at mandolins my price range was half of what it is now, then I waited to get to here. Should I just keep waiting until a Big Muddy is in my price range?

My Florida is scooped pheffernan's Avatar

I'm all about the pancakes. Last time I was looking at mandolins my price range was half of what it is now, then I waited to get to here. Should I just keep waiting until a Big Muddy is in my price range?
    See post #6.
    1924 Gibson A Snakehead
    2005 National RM-1
    2007 Hester A5
    2009 Passernig A5
    2015 Black A2-z
    2010 Black GBOM
    2017 Poe Scout
    2014 Smart F-Style Mandola
    2018 Vessel TM5
    2019 Hogan F5

Gotcha. Thanks all.

There are a couple flat top round holes on Cincinnati CL you might check out. A Flatiron and a J Bovier.

I played an Eastman 315 yesterday as well as a 615 and an Epiphone A-style as that's what they had in stock at the place I visited. The 315 felt the best but the neck was tight for me in regard to string spacing.

I’ve found the current generation of Epiphones very underwhelming—whether fit and finish or sound, they just don’t have it. If you like mahogany bodies, note Eastman 400 series, 404 being the most popular, is the only mahogany in the Eastman line. But I would say the mahogany body does not make as pronounced a difference in sound, in a carve$-top mando, as it does with a guitar or other larger-body piece. And Eastman uses standardized nut width of 1 3/32, but if you reject that size, you are rejecting probably 80% of what’s out there...I’d urge giving it a chance to grow on you.

I’m a minority in that I quite like the Breedlove Crossovers I’ve played, and if the price is right, I don’t much care whether the body is solid or lam if I like the sound and feel.

But yeah, flattop. Very likely an excellent choice.

Quote Originally Posted by CES View Post
    I have a Flatiron 1N that I love, but they’ve been going in the 600-650$ range of late and aren’t being made anymore (necessitating patience and frequent visits to the classifieds), hence my Big Muddy/Mid Mo suggestion. Not sure why, but I have trouble remembering that Howard Morris builds flat tops as well. From what I’ve heard from owners of his mandolins, they’re a step up from the Eastman and Kentucky models mentioned above.
    Howard definitely builds flat tops; quite a few even. His carved tops, in my humble opinion, are a significant step up from any Kentucky or Eastman I have played. His flat tops can be found well within the OP's price range.

I have a Gretchen Park Avenue oval hole F model which I love, but I don’t think they are being made. It’s loud but perhaps not so mellow. I also have an oval hole A Eastman, which practically plays itself and in my opinion is warm and mellow. I think both are in the $600 price range. Anyhow, good hunting!