Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: PEEK Pick by EML Picks

Default PEEK Pick by EML Picks

First impressions of the EML PEEK pick I just now got in the mail...It is VERY fast, so far the fastest pick I've had. Blue chip is fast also but this is like greased lightning. It is also very bright as described.

I have been using an EML resin pick and it is wonderful also. It's a tad slower and more full sounding.

BC makes great picks but since I got the EML I have used them only.

The maker, Eric Lopez, is so easy to work with.

Billy

billypackardmandolin.com
    Billy Packard
    Gilchrist A3, 1993
    Stiver Fern, 1990
    Weber Fern, 2007
    Gibson F4 Hybrid #1, D. Harvey 2009
    Gibson 1923 A2
    Numerous wonderful guitars

2. The following members say thank you to Billy Packard for this post:

Default Re: PEEK Pick by EML Picks

Totally agree about Eric. I haven't tried a PEEK pick, yet. I do have a couple of his Casein picks for mandolin and guitar and they are my favorites by far.

4. The following members say thank you to Mark Seale for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Packard View Post
    First impressions of the EML PEEK pick I just now got in the mail...It is VERY fast, so far the fastest pick I've had. Blue chip is fast also but this is like greased lightning. It is also very bright as described.

I have been using an EML resin pick and it is wonderful also. It's a tad slower and more full sounding.

BC makes great picks but since I got the EML I have used them only.

The maker, Eric Lopez, is so easy to work with.

Billy

billypackardmandolin.com
    Using the BC for guitars and mando, as I do, could you compare the PEEK and the BC in terms of tone, grabability (how it sticks to your fingers); you already did speed.

Very interesting, and I'm thinking about one.

Thanks for the reply!
    Chris Cravens

Girouard A5
    Montana Flatiron A-Jr.
    Passernig Mandola
    Leo Posch D-18

6. The following members say thank you to ccravens for this post:

I tried out a PEEK pick for a little while and really didn't care for it much. I do like the resin pick though and have been using it quite a bit back and forth with my BC and an old Proplec. What a combo lol. All different flavors and shapes, nice for a little variety.
    Drew
    2020 Northfield 4th Gen F5
    2022 Northfield NFS-F5E
    2019 Northfield Flat Top Octave
    2021 Gold Tone Mando Cello
    https://www.instagram.com/pilotdrew85

8. The following members say thank you to Drew Egerton for this post:

Using the BC for guitars and mando, as I do, could you compare the PEEK and the BC in terms of tone, grabability (how it sticks to your fingers)
    I can't say enough good things about the PEEK picks. I use the large triangle (the same size as a BC TAD). Before I got it, I was using a BC TAD60 3R. At first listen, the PEEK was louder than the BC and brighter. It took me a while to get used to the sharper point of the EML, but I eventually transitioned to using it full time. Since I was liking the sharper point, I thought I would give a CT55 a try. I found it much brighter than the PEEK, really too bright for me, so I'm full time with the EML now. It's very fast, effortless and easy to grip. If you look at the website pictures, you'll see that the material has a very pronounced cross-hatch grain that grips well, but the edges are polished super smooth.

For me, one real positive aspect of the PEEK pick is that it has led me to refine my technique. The initial attraction of the pick was the effortless volume, but the tone was brighter than I was accustomed to. So I've been working on the angle at which I hold the pick, and also trying to hold it very loosely. The result is what I find to be great tone, especially on tremolo (which had always been a problem area for me). It's the best combination of shape and material that I've found.
    Mitch Russell

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to onassis For This Useful Post:

Update on the PEEK

After a whole lot more practicing and one performance the brightness continues to impress me. The sharper the point adds to that but the material is mostly producing the sound. I'm not sure how much I like the more pointed tip...I may have Eric soften the radius. It's like each note is way more clear and precise, not blurry in the least.

Comparing to the BC- the EML PEEK is WAY more bright and clear and quite a bit faster. The EML resin pick I have is also brighter than the BC, I'd say in the middle, tone-wise. Resin and BC have a similar speed.

Regarding "grabability" the PEEK has an intentionally rougher surface and is easy to hold on to. It is a different feel than the BC. The BC has an amazing tendency to stick to my fingers despite the glassy surface.

It is taking a bit of getting used to in a good way.

I'm giving it a solid two-thumbs up.

Chris Cravens- go for it!

Billy
    Billy Packard
    Gilchrist A3, 1993
    Stiver Fern, 1990
    Weber Fern, 2007
    Gibson F4 Hybrid #1, D. Harvey 2009
    Gibson 1923 A2
    Numerous wonderful guitars

12. The following members say thank you to Billy Packard for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Packard View Post
    Update on the PEEK

After a whole lot more practicing and one performance the brightness continues to impress me. The sharper the point adds to that but the material is mostly producing the sound. I'm not sure how much I like the more pointed tip...I may have Eric soften the radius. It's like each note is way more clear and precise, not blurry in the least.

Comparing to the BC- the EML PEEK is WAY more bright and clear and quite a bit faster. The EML resin pick I have is also brighter than the BC, I'd say in the middle, tone-wise. Resin and BC have a similar speed.

Regarding "grabability" the PEEK has an intentionally rougher surface and is easy to hold on to. It is a different feel than the BC. The BC has an amazing tendency to stick to my fingers despite the glassy surface.

It is taking a bit of getting used to in a good way.

I'm giving it a solid two-thumbs up.

Chris Cravens- go for it!

Billy
    Thanks for feeding my pick obsession...

Looks like I'll be getting both the PEEK and the resin models.
    Chris Cravens

Girouard A5
    Montana Flatiron A-Jr.
    Passernig Mandola
    Leo Posch D-18

14. The following members say thank you to ccravens for this post:

I would have to agree with the opinion on PEEK picks. I have not tried the EML picks but do have some PEEK material. I have hand made several PEEK picks and love how they play and sound. In my opinion better than BlueChips which are hard to beat. The pick that I have made are TRI shaped and Teardrop/standard shapes. They are "rough around the edges" but I still like them better even tho they are not perfect or polished.

Thinking about trying one but don't know which one Casein or Peek, I want something on the bright side and projects good volume. I like my VPick traditional lite 1.5mm, don't know if the EML would be that much better. Always looking to try something. I ordered some Primetones and do not like at all but figured I might give them to someone who likes them.

Quote Originally Posted by CBFrench View Post
    Thinking about trying one but don't know which one Casein or Peek, I want something on the bright side and projects good volume. I like my VPick traditional lite 1.5mm, don't know if the EML would be that much better. Always looking to try something. I ordered some Primetones and do not like at all but figured I might give them to someone who likes them.
    I don't have a peek yet, but do have a eml casin, is is a very buttery warm sounding pick. Very nicely made, and a worthy addition to my collection.
    2007 Weber Custom Elite "old wood"
    2017 Ratliff R5 Custom #1148
    Several nice old Fiddles
    2007 Martin 000-15S 12 fret Auditorium-slot head
    Deering Classic Open Back
    Too many microphones

BridgerCreekBoys.com

My Florida is scooped pheffernan's Avatar

Thinking about trying one but don't know which one Casein or Peek, I want something on the bright side and projects good volume.
    For your goals, I would recommend the PEEK. Not only does casein produce a darker tone to my ears, but it is available from a number of manufacturers (like Red Bear). Eric is the only commercial producer that I know of to be working with PEEK.
    1924 Gibson A Snakehead
    2005 National RM-1
    2007 Hester A5
    2009 Passernig A5
    2015 Black A2-z
    2010 Black GBOM
    2017 Poe Scout
    2014 Smart F-Style Mandola
    2018 Vessel TM5
    2019 Hogan F5

A 1.5mm seems to be the perfect size for me and I really like my VPick 1.5mm traditional lite, will the EML be equal, similar, better or a waste of money as was my order of 1.5mm Wegens and Prinetones that I don't like at all, zero, nada and they get such rave reviews, I just don't see it, feel it or hear it in the least.

My Florida is scooped pheffernan's Avatar

A 1.5mm seems to be the perfect size for me and I really like my VPick traditional lite, will the EML be equal, similar, better or a waste of money as was my order of 1.5mm Wegens and Prinetones that I don't like at all, zero, nada and they get such rave reviews, I just don't see it, feel it or hear it in the least.
    It’s going to be hard for someone else to determine what is going to work for you as tastes vary. Size is important, but so are material, shape, and bevel. I really like the Wegen TF140 but find the VPicks to be clicky on the attack. You pays your money and you takes your choice.
    1924 Gibson A Snakehead
    2005 National RM-1
    2007 Hester A5
    2009 Passernig A5
    2015 Black A2-z
    2010 Black GBOM
    2017 Poe Scout
    2014 Smart F-Style Mandola
    2018 Vessel TM5
    2019 Hogan F5

tks and that's true, I can hear a clicky sound with any brand pick I've tried and that's a lot of brands, none have been silent or less clicky to my wore-out ears, but tone-wise has been an entirely different matter. My VPick for me is smoother, brighter and good tone for me. Some like them, some don't

A 1.5mm seems to be the perfect size for me and I really like my VPick 1.5mm traditional lite, will the EML be equal, similar, better or a waste of money as was my order of 1.5mm Wegens and Prinetones that I don't like at all, zero, nada and they get such rave reviews, I just don't see it, feel it or hear it in the least.
    It's a pretty cheap experiment, only a bit more than string selections...
    You could try different mandolins in your tone quest. That gets pricey.
    Several nice old Fiddles
    Too many microphones

BridgerCreekBoys.com

tks and that's true, I can hear a clicky sound with any brand pick I've tried and that's a lot of brands, none have been silent or less clicky to my wore-out ears, but tone-wise has been an entirely different matter. My VPick for me is smoother, brighter and good tone for me. Some like them, some don't
    I don't like v picks because they wear too fast.
    Several nice old Fiddles
    Too many microphones

BridgerCreekBoys.com

Quote Originally Posted by MontanaMatt View Post
    I don't like v picks because they wear too fast.

that's strange, I've been using the same VPick on my acoustic and mandolin over a year and I see no wear at all, I do play hard at times but I'm a couch player so don't have to beat the heck out of an instrument or pick.

Maybe someone (if they are any ha) who likes VPicks will come along to give a comparison

formerly Philphool Phil Goodson's Avatar

Radex D'Andrea picks are the least pick click producer that I've found. Not quite as fast off the strings as BC. NFI
    Phil

“Sharps/Flats” “Accidentals”

26. The following members say thank you to Phil Goodson for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Philphool View Post
    Radex D'Andrea picks are the least pick click producer that I've found. Not quite as fast off the strings as BC. NFI
    Casin is a great low click material. I just started picking with a BC TAD 3R 40, almost no click.
    Several nice old Fiddles
    Too many microphones

BridgerCreekBoys.com

Yikes...another $40 pick!
    Follow the Flatt Stanley Incident on Facebook

Listen to original tune "When You Fly" by my old band The Kindreds

yikes yeah and I just ordered a EML Resin and Casein 1.5mm $20 each....well I just hope I'm not disappointed like I am with most new pick try's but one day I'll find my true dream pick...$40 for two picks gulp, if I don't like I won't know the difference a 100 years from now anyway...

Quote Originally Posted by RobP View Post
    Yikes...another $40 pick!
    Cheap compared to everything else!(phone, internet, cable, car, computer, the constant steam of corporate garbage everyone is addicted to...)
    Gripe less, pick more
    Several nice old Fiddles
    Too many microphones

BridgerCreekBoys.com

31. The following members say thank you to MontanaMatt for this post:

Eric is a really great guy and is doing some fine work.

I have one of the PEEK picks and like it a lot too.

Mando & Me

Not singling anyone out, but it always amazes me how people can spend 5k on an instrument but balk at $40 for a pick. Or $8 for a set of strings. They're all integral parts of the process.
    Mitch Russell

34. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to onassis For This Useful Post:

looking forward to receiving mine, a 1.5mm resin and casein, hoping I really like these as I've haven't had good luck in new tries.
    Last edited by CBFrench; Nov-30-2019 at 6:55pm.