Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: PEEK Pick by EML Picks

Default Re: PEEK Pick by EML Picks

As I understand it, PEI is the material also used in the Dunlop Ultex and Primetone picks. Is that correct? I go between those and BC picks.
    2010 Heiden A5, 2020 Pomeroy oval A, 2013 Kentucky KM1000 F5, 2012 Girouard A Mandola w ff holes, 2001 Old Wave A oval octave
    http://HillbillyChamberMusic.bandcamp.com
    Videos: https://www.youtube.com/@hillbillychambermusic

2. The following members say thank you to Don Grieser for this post:

Nik does a decent job of explaining the PEI > Ultem > specific glass filled content grade here: https://www.apollopicks.com/faqs

Ultex/Prime tone are PEI > Ultem, but probably not the same glass filled content grade as the Apollo PEI picks.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bradeasley For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bradeasley View Post
    Nik does a decent job of explaining the PEI > Ultem > specific glass filled content grade here: https://www.apollopicks.com/faqs

Ultex/Prime tone are PEI > Ultem, but probably not the same glass filled content grade as the Apollo PEI picks.
    Yes,I agree Nik has a nice write up on his FAQ page. He gets into PEI and some discussion about the percentage of glass mixed in it. But unfortunately he does not mention anything about PEEK. But he offers both PEEK and PEI picks for the same price -- both are similar plastics and both are sold for the same price.

I agree with Don too -- if you perform the highly sophisticated drop test, i.e., drop both the Apollo PEI pick and the Dunlop Primetone pick (similar shape and size) on a hard surface they both give off a very similar tone. Dunlop Ultex picks sound different in the drop test but the ones I have are something like 0.5 mm and all the others are more like 1.3 - 1.4 mm.

So far we have one vote for PEI being preferred over an identically shaped one made of PEEK in post #49.

Thinking maybe I'll just order another PEI pick and stop "fretting" about the PEEK option.

I'm wondering why casein is more expensive though as that is by far the cheapest raw material I would assume. Must be hard to work with?
    Bernie
    ____
    Due to current budgetary restrictions the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off -- sorry about the inconvenience.

Well if we're voting, I throw mine in for Vespel over PEI or PEEK, unless that's against the rules.

Quote Originally Posted by ccravens View Post
    Using the BC for guitars and mando, as I do, could you compare the PEEK and the BC in terms of tone, grabability (how it sticks to your fingers); you already did speed.

Very interesting, and I'm thinking about one.

Thanks for the reply!
    I have several blue chips and Gravity Gold PEEK picks (old tan color - the new colored gold are NOT the same) for both guitar and mandolin. The only thing I prefer on my blue chips is the bevel.

The PEEK picks have better (to me it's better - brighter) tone, faster, no difference in "gripiness". I've tried EVERY pick material available, nearly every shape available, from multiple pick makers.

The Gravity Gold PEEK picks are the best I've found for my guitars, mandolins, mandola, octave mandolin and mandocello. And back when I got them they were still $19, as opposed to $30 or more for blue chips.

8. The following members say thank you to Mandobart for this post:

Blog Entries

There is an opinion by John Reischman about PEI versus PEEK on the Apollo site which I had missed heretofore. John makes this statement about the topic:

“I really like the PEI material for the mandolin. It’s similar to Tortoise Shell in the sense that you can get a full tonal spectrum. Easy to get a deep tone, but also provides a nice high end.

I prefer the PEEK material for mandolin when I have new strings. It smooths out the bright, new string tone, and also is less prone to getting a scratchy surface from the new strings. I also like the peek material for the larger mando instruments like my mandola and octave mandolin. Sounds better to me on the heavier wound strings.”

So I guess you have to have one of each!
    Bernie
    ____
    Due to current budgetary restrictions the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off -- sorry about the inconvenience.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mandobart View Post
    I have several blue chips and Gravity Gold PEEK picks (old tan color - the new colored gold are NOT the same) for both guitar and mandolin. The only thing I prefer on my blue chips is the bevel.

The PEEK picks have better (to me it's better - brighter) tone, faster, no difference in "gripiness". I've tried EVERY pick material available, nearly every shape available, from multiple pick makers.

The Gravity Gold PEEK picks are the best I've found for my guitars, mandolins, mandola, octave mandolin and mandocello. And back when I got them they were still $19, as opposed to $30 or more for blue chips.
    Thanks for that info. When you mentioned Gravity it rang a bell and I went digging through a drawer with literally over a thousand picks of all kinds and found a gold Gravity Axis pick (it has the image of an atom -- or a planet with a satellite on the back?) I had no idea those were made of PEEK -- I don't think anyway. I believe it was given to me by a friend in North Carolina. It seems nice and makes a PEEK sound in the drop test. The shape is wrong for me though.
    Bernie
    ____

Blog Entries

Well if we're voting, I throw mine in for Vespel over PEI or PEEK, unless that's against the rules.

As far as I know voting is not against the rules -- but then I have not posted much here since Ivan passed away a few years ago.

As to your point it makes some sense IMO. If you just look at the published physical properties of the three plastics you see several references to the fact that the Vespel is noted for having a surface with a low coefficient of friction and superior wear properties -- both good properties for a pick? So in theory at least you might predict that Vespel might well make a superior product for picks. (I guess Blue Chip thinks so too?). Obviously, in the real world it might not always work that way for everyone as we see on this string.
    Bernie
    ____

Is it just me, but I can't seem to find his website?

Their last update on their Facebook page was June 20, 2021 and was:

UPDATE June 21st: Hello! You may have noticed that (almost) all of the products on the site have gone missing. Not to worry, this is only temporary. I will be out of area until July 3rd, and will have things back to normal for ordering upon returning at that time. Any orders that have already been placed will be made and shipped out this week before I go on vacation (gloves, mask, and all). In the meantime, I will be available for questions, etc via the contact form and social media as usual. Have a great couple of weeks until then, everybody :~)
    Since then a few people have asked questions that were never answered.
    Last edited by MikeEdgerton; Aug-01-2022 at 7:31am.
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

Quote Originally Posted by MikeEdgerton View Post
    Their last update on their Facebook page was June 21, 2021 and was:

Since then a few people have asked questions that were never answered.
    That was 2020, not 2021. I think I reached out to Eric sometime during that year as well, and he said he was still planning to get going again. But since then has gone radio silent. I went digging through my emails and was reminded that my current EML casein pick which I love was not my first. I had a casein triangle before that that I lost on a gig in 2018, and now I'm sad all over again because that one was fantastic too!

15. The following members say thank you to bradeasley for this post:

That was 2020, not 2021.
    That was a typo on my part.
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

The Apollo Reischman picks only come in one shape but I don't know technically what that shape is called. it is not a larger tri-point shape; it is more a smaller sized pick with rounded corners. I think he only takes orders for them periodically because they are not shown on the day-to-day website store.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mikerofone View Post
    The Apollo Reischman picks only come in one shape but I don't know technically what that shape is called. it is not a larger tri-point shape; it is more a smaller sized pick with rounded corners. I think he only takes orders for them periodically because they are not shown on the day-to-day website store.
    Correct. My only reason for mentioning his comments was that he does see a need for both PEI and PEEK picks.
    Bernie
    ____

Blog Entries

Also is it just me or what? I see no link on the Apollo website (https://www.apollopicks.com/store2) for ordering any PEI or PEEK picks of any size or shape except the specialty picks e.g., Reischman picks etc. There are many links to the shopping cart of casein picks. I must be overlooking something?
    Bernie
    ____

Quote Originally Posted by Bernie Daniel View Post
    Also is it just me or what? I see no link on the Apollo website (https://www.apollopicks.com/store2) for ordering any PEI or PEEK picks of any size or shape except the specialty picks e.g., Reischman picks etc. There are many links to the shopping cart of casein picks. I must be overlooking something?
    They'd be a custom order. Just contact Nik if you'd like those materials in any shape.

21. The following members say thank you to bradeasley for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Don Grieser View Post
    As I understand it, PEI is the material also used in the Dunlop Ultex and Primetone picks. Is that correct? I go between those and BC picks.
    I have a love/hate relationship with Primetones. And Vespel.

And Wegens, actually...
    1933 Gibson A-00 (was Scotty Stoneman's)
    2003 Gibson J-45RW (ebony)
    2017 Gibson J-15

The Murph Channel
    http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkomGsMJXH9qn-xLKCv4WOg

You never hear anybody talk about Tortex anymore.

I used to love those when I was an electric lead player.
    1933 Gibson A-00 (was Scotty Stoneman's)
    2003 Gibson J-45RW (ebony)
    2017 Gibson J-15

The Murph Channel
    http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkomGsMJXH9qn-xLKCv4WOg

Quote Originally Posted by Murphy Slaw View Post

Dunlop Tortex picks are made from delrin. I don't know if Dunlop uses the exact same delrin for their delrin 500 series picks, but the delrin 500 .96mm has been my go-to for electric guitar for many years and still is 90% of the time. I use the rounded shoulder though. Here's one I've put some miles on.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20220625_082257-01.jpeg 
Views:	37 
Size:	376.5 KB 
ID:	202453

I do have a couple 2.0 mm thick Apollo PEEK picks. Nik was very easy to work with and prompt on filling my order. They are just as good and have the same properties I like as the Gravity Gold picks.

Quote Originally Posted by Murphy Slaw View Post

Really like Tortex on my flat top mandolins. Add a good snap for the tone I'm trying to get from them.

Had a long time love/hate relationship with Wegen picks. Until getting my Brentrup. The TF100 and this mandolin are a great match. Even more than the Blue Chips. Will still use a Blue Chip on it when looking for a little extra treble boost at a performance or jam.

Never tried PEEK. Really should get one made just to say I have used that material.
    Brentrup Model 23, Boeh A5 #37, Gibson A Jr., Big Muddy M-11, Coombe Classical flattop, Strad-O-Lin
    https://www.facebook.com/LauluAika/
    https://www.lauluaika.com/
    https://www.facebook.com/Longtine-Am...14404553312723

I've got a replacement cervical disk in my neck made of PEEK.
    Maybe I should consider who to leave it to in my will.
    Bren