Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Do We Really Need Another Pick Thread?

Blog Entries

Default Re: Do We Really Need Another Pick Thread?

I'm funny, I haven't tried many of the high end picks. I have a Wegen and some V- Picks that I like but, my favorite are the D'Andrea ones I got from JazzMando when I bought strings. A close second are the older style Dawg picks. They just work well for me and make a sound I like.

Jamie
    There are two things to aim at in life: first, to get what you want; and, after that, to enjoy it. Only the wisest of mankind achieve the second. Logan Pearsall Smith, 1865 - 1946

+ Give Blood, Save a Life +

After 25+ posts apparently the answer to the OP's question, "Do We Really Need Another Pick Thread?" is Yes.

Just sayin'. . .

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Luna Pick For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by MikeEdgerton View Post
    So, a few weeks ago I was looking at a guitar at one of the local music stores and needed a pick. I bought one of these Gibson XH picks just because it was heavy and I found a .39 pick that I like as much as my Bluechip. A few days ago I went back and bought all they had in stock. Now if I could only find the large triangle picks in the same material and thickness. The best part is my total ignorance of the material they are made from. It's a plastic I'm sure, beyond that not a clue.
    Mike - if you want to remain blissfully ignorant click away now.
    The Gibson web site says they are celluloid. There’s a ‘wedge’ shaped option that’s triangular, but only available up to Heavy.
    Here’s the link.
    "Well, I don't know much about bands but I do know you can't make a living selling big trombones, no sir. Mandolin picks, perhaps..."

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lukmanohnz For This Useful Post:

Now and then I use picks I cut from a discarded CD-ROM. I traced a pick shape onto the disc with a Sharpie, cut it out with a heavy scissors, smoothed the edges with a nail file. Not dissimilar to a Fender Heavy in feel and sound.

It used to be there was only one uber expensive pick, now there are half a dz. at least.

It took 68 years, but I've figured out how to make my fortune.

Introducing Pickworld Quarterly, the magazine you've longed to buy. Preorder yours now, $35 plus shipping.

First in depth article, pick grip basics.
    Silverangel A
    Arches F style kit
    1913 Gibson A-1

There is actually a book on vintage picks that I bought last year. Perhaps you could expand and make a coffee table book with large glossy photographs.

I believe it's out of print but they are available used.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Picks.jpg 
Views:	82 
Size:	95.4 KB 
ID:	175656  
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

9. The following members say thank you to MikeEdgerton for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by JEStanek View Post
    I'm funny, I haven't tried many of the high end picks. I have a Wegen and some V- Picks that I like but, my favorite are the D'Andrea ones I got from JazzMando when I bought strings. A close second are the older style Dawg picks. They just work well for me and make a sound I like.

Jamie
    I also like the Jazzmando picks. A Cafe member recently gave me several that have never been used. My main one is from over ten yrs ago and still shows no signs of wear. Excellent material.

11. The following members say thank you to Caleb for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Caleb View Post
    I also like the Jazzmando picks. A Cafe member recently gave me several that have never been used. My main one is from over ten yrs ago and still shows no signs of wear. Excellent material.
    V-Pick or original ProPlec version?

I've been playing more electric mando than previously lately and found a sharply pointed V-Pick Lite Freakishly Large to be the quietest pick in my arsenal while playing fast and amplified. Having not ever been much of a fan of V-Picks, pointed picks, or over-large picks, this was an interesting discovery.

As I'm prepping them to go back out into the world, other than an inventory I really haven't messed with the picks in the samplers. But there's a V-Pick JazzMando pick and thanks to you I'm prompted to give it a good workout for a day because I've been frustrated lately picking acoustic with my similarity-shaped BC SR50 and nothing else in my collection has really solved the problem. It might be just what I'm looking for and even with Jazzmando.com's unfortunate and untimely pending demise/archiving/etc, the picks seem to be readily available.

C ~/:/~
    Northfield F5S Amber #347 - 'Squeeze'
    Mann EM-5 Hollow Body - Gimme Moore
    Kentucky KM-270 - Not just for whisky
    Flatiron 1N Pancake - Not just for breakfast
    Epiphone Mandobird IV - Djangly
    Cozart 8-string e-mando - El Ch(e)apo
    Lanikai LB6-S Banjolele (tuned GDAE) - Plinky and the Brane

13. The following members say thank you to Chris Daniels for this post:

Caleb 

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Daniels View Post
    V-Pick or original ProPlec version?

I've been playing more electric mando than previously lately and found a sharply pointed V-Pick Lite Freakishly Large to be the quietest pick in my arsenal while playing fast and amplified. Having not ever been much of a fan of V-Picks, pointed picks, or over-large picks, this was an interesting discovery.

As I'm prepping them to go back out into the world, other than an inventory I really haven't messed with the picks in the samplers. But there's a V-Pick JazzMando pick and thanks to you I'm prompted to give it a good workout for a day because I've been frustrated lately picking acoustic with my similarity-shaped BC SR50 and nothing else in my collection has really solved the problem. It might be just what I'm looking for and even with Jazzmando.com's unfortunate and untimely pending demise/archiving/etc, the picks seem to be readily available.

C ~/:/~
    The ones I’m talking about that someone gave me (thanks again, Michael!) are the Pro Plecs from many years ago. He also threw in one of the new Pro Plecs in the same style, just sans “Jazzmando,” and upon very close inspection, I noticed that they are slightly different. The JMs seem a bit more blunted, which I like.

And sometimes a new mandolin causes one to start a new pick search. Right now, it's the Collings MT that's become that subject. It's the first mandolin that I've owned where a thicker pick seems to work better for the way I play. So, been digging through my person collection. Wegen TF and Cool Juratex XH are my 2 favorites so far.

Will be interesting to see if this idea stick around or if I just go back to heavy picks like all the other instruments use.
    Brentrup Model 23, Boeh A5 #37, Gibson A Jr., Big Muddy M-11, Coombe Classical flattop, Strad-O-Lin
    https://www.facebook.com/LauluAika/
    https://www.lauluaika.com/
    https://www.facebook.com/Longtine-Am...14404553312723

I just discovered the Gibson XH in the 346 shape, and the Radux pick in that shape. Without this thread, they’d still be unknown to me.

So many picks, so few mandolins��
    Not all the clams are at the beach

Arrow Manouche
    Arrow Jazzbo
    Arrow G
    Clark 2 point
    Gibson F5L
    Gibson A-4
    Ratliff CountryBoy A

17. The following members say thank you to Bill McCall for this post:

Funny thing happened to me in the pick world recently, after converting my OM to a tenor guitar, it was waaaay too dark.

Is there some kind of frequency cancellation going on with string courses I don't know about? Removing every other string shouldn't have changed tone that much unless something like that is going on.

The funny part is it only sounds decent with the brightest pick I have, the trusty orange Dunlop .60mm. Even a yellow Dunlop .73 is too dark.

I haven't played on a .60 in years, but have a dozen or so sitting in my pick collection from when I did.
    I prefer triangles now, so ordered some just in case new strings don't help.

Brighter strings are on order too.

I never cease to be amazed how much difference strings and picks make.
    Davey Stuart tenor guitar (based on his 18" mandola design).
    Eastman MD-604SB with Grover 309 tuners.
    Eastwood 4 string electric mandostang, 2x Airline e-mandola (4-string) one strung as an e-OM.
    DSP's: Helix HX Stomp, various Zooms.
    Amps: THR-10, Sony XB-20.

I recently purchased a 1974 Martin A style. The previous owner left a Red Bear pick with it. Big Picker Extra Heavy with speed beveland grip holes. I never played one before, but I have to say I really like it! Better tone I think than my previous choices ( Golden Gate, Dunlop Primetone, and V-Picks.)
    Don

2016 Weber Custom Bitterroot F
    2011 Weber Bitterroot A
    1974 Martin Style A

My Florida is scooped pheffernan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by multidon View Post
    I recently purchased a 1974 Martin A style. The previous owner left a Red Bear pick with it. Big Picker Extra Heavy with speed beveland grip holes. I never played one before, but I have to say I really like it! Better tone I think than my previous choices ( Golden Gate, Dunlop Primetone, and V-Picks.)
    That’s quite a score, Don. My Red Bear Big Picker Heavy C is my favorite sounding pick. It doesn’t handle as well as my Wegen, or seem invincible like my Blue Chip, but it offers a dark, rich tone that I really enjoy.
    1924 Gibson A Snakehead
    2005 National RM-1
    2007 Hester A5
    2009 Passernig A5
    2015 Black A2-z
    2010 Black GBOM
    2017 Poe Scout
    2014 Smart F-Style Mandola
    2018 Vessel TM5
    2019 Hogan F5

1200+ views, 38 replies, the masses have spoken.
    Silverangel A
    Arches F style kit
    1913 Gibson A-1

22. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Br1ck For This Useful Post: