Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Favorite Doc Watson albums

Registered User grassrootphilosopher's Avatar

Default Re: Favorite Doc Watson albums

Itīs funny that everybody has their own favorite album and that there is hardly any overlap.

My dearest to my heart Doc Watson record is "Ballads From The Deep Gap". It was one of my first records that I ever owned (the other being an Okeh Western Swing compilation). The "Texas Gales" version is still one of my favorites and one of my favorite fiddle tunes. Go and try to chuck that at some banjo (or mandolin) slinger at a jam session. The reactions are priceless.

The self titled "Doc Watson" album is a close second as are "Home Again", "Southbound", "Doc Watson and Son", "Doc Watson and Jean Ritchie at Gerdeīs Folk City" and practically all albums that do not have the magnetic pickup sound. Of the later ones the "PickinīThe Blues" album is magic. And the list goes on and on.
    Olaf

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to grassrootphilosopher For This Useful Post:

The Cuckoo, for me. It’s that oak floorboard stomping, creaking chair legs, storm’s abrewing, pine forest fragrance, breeze in the tree tops acoustic sound, simple and slow. And fast, just easy and not hurried.
    Last edited by Simon DS; Nov-13-2020 at 10:19pm.

For guitar pickin only nothing beats sugar hill instrumental collection..only Beaumont Rag is missing.

Any with his son Merle! They played soooo good together.

The old Vanguard label Two fers on vinyl. The Essential Doc Watson. Bought it at a record store in Albany back in my college days. A cut out (remember those, if you do you're as old me) $1.99. First time I heard Black Mountain Rag and Beaumont Rag. And his soulful ballads too. A complete game changer for me musically.
    And of course Doc Watson on Stage with Merle. 4 sides of acoustic heaven recorded live.
    My very favorite is Old Timey Concert with Fred Price and Clint Howard. Again recorded live. He seems so relaxed playing the old songs with those boys like they were playing on some one's front porch. Lots of cool banter. I Say, I Say let's play a little of that Fire on the Mountain! Dare you to play it along with Doc at that speed. I can't!
    Have just about all the others mentioned here but those are my favorites. Over and out!
    Ratliff R5 2007, Capek A5 2003, Washburn M5S-SB Jethro Burns 1982, Mid-Mo M-2, Epiphone MM 30 Bk mandolins, Harmony Batwing 1970's, George Bauer bowlback early 1900's Philadelphia.

"Don't cloud the issue with facts!" Groucho Marx

7. The following members say thank you to Bob Gnann for this post: