Thread: 1923 F4 Blacktop

Default 1923 F4 Blacktop

Has anybody ever seen a black 1923 F4? (They are guessing a '24, but it should be a '23 telling from the script inlay and the pointed back button.) Looking at the pics, I see some unusual lacquer checking and, if I'm not mistaken, some low/narrow binding towards the scroll mitre, which might hint at an old refin. But I'm not sure. If it was all original, it may sure be a one-off.
    https://www.hboetzkes.com/producten/...in-used-detail

2. The following members say thank you to Hendrik Ahrend for this post:

Blog Entries

Default Re: 1923 F4 Blacktop

Well with the back and sides looking how it should, without blowing up the pix I'd say that's a one off? As the top looks as clean as the rest? Gibson had a bunch of one offs and odd ball stuff.

4. The following members say thank you to William Smith for this post:

A really cool one-off? After the snakehead mandola was found I reckon anything is possible.....

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sgarrity For This Useful Post:

Teacher, repair person

A black top F-4 that late is an anomaly. I would suggest that any prospective buyer require a careful in-hand inspection before finalizing a sale.

Unusual Gibsons are occasionally seen, though. I know of 2 black A-3's, and an ivory F-2 that were considered to be original by the better known authorities. I looked one of the A-3's over carefully with the intention of buying it [it was for sale at Gruhn's about 22 years ago], and it definitely appeared to be authentic. But I didn't buy it. It was a weak sounding instrument and I just couldn't pull the trigger. I came home with an A-4 instead, which I still have.

My Florida is scooped pheffernan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by rcc56 View Post
    I know of 2 black A-3's, and an ivory F-2 that were considered to be original by the better known authorities. I looked one of the A-3's over carefully with the intention of buying it [it was for sale at Gruhn's about 22 years ago], and it definitely appeared to be authentic.
    Was it a paddlehead?
    1924 Gibson A Snakehead
    2005 National RM-1
    2007 Hester A5
    2009 Passernig A5
    2015 Black A2-z
    2010 Black GBOM
    2017 Poe Scout
    2014 Smart F-Style Mandola
    2018 Vessel TM5
    2019 Hogan F5

Teacher, repair person

Yes. I don't remember the exact year, but it was a mid to late 'teens model. Too bad it didn't sound better.

It is cool. The patina and finish cracks make it look orig. No black on binding or rosette. Hmmmm waiting to hear more comments.

Great looking F4 and it looks like it is in really good shape (hard to tell from those pics).

Blog Entries

I'd say by the photos its the real deal, a Cremona body black top F-4! Its a one off more than likely and each year more old Gibson's come to surface again, from A's to F-5's!

My Florida is scooped pheffernan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by William Smith View Post
    I'd say by the photos its the real deal, a Cremona body black top F-4! Its a one off more than likely and each year more old Gibson's come to surface again, from A's to F-5's!
    If that’s the case, my guess would be that a blemish surfaced during the build that they ultimately decided to mask with the black top.
    1924 Gibson A Snakehead
    2005 National RM-1
    2007 Hester A5
    2009 Passernig A5
    2015 Black A2-z
    2010 Black GBOM
    2017 Poe Scout
    2014 Smart F-Style Mandola
    2018 Vessel TM5
    2019 Hogan F5

Blog Entries

Yes that's a possibility but with Gibson they did custom work for endorsers who in turn sold to students, they designed many odd things like the Snake Dola that recently surfaced, white top F-2, I've even seen prototypes like that Lil Pup 29 strange 2 point Dawg may have, or Lowell Levenger?" Many Loar era Virzi F-4's with Loar F-5 cases? The strange no point Bellson F-4, other strange F-4's such as a one off I heard about a 1929 Gibson F-4 with an F-5 scale neck? In the 30's many mave different peg head inlays in a particular model like for example the wide big bell sunburst A-50's I've seen with flowerpot, fluer-de-lis headstock inlays? The few one off 30's H F-hole mandolas that clearly look like 1924 Tenor Lute bodies? We know Gibson used old parts for newer mandolin builds! Some post Loar F-5's sure have the same carving's as a Loar F-5? The list can go on and on with Gibson!

does seem possible indeed

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	57134_whitef2_face.jpeg 
Views:	128 
Size:	81.8 KB 
ID:	175682
    The Mandolin Archive
    my CDs
    "The wheel is turning, but the hamster is dead"

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to danb For This Useful Post: