Thread: strap peg

Default strap peg

I bought a used J Bovier F-style mandolin recently. The strap peg came out on me a few days ago, and has since not wanted to stay put. The peg is tapered wood and appears to press fit into the tailpiece. It may just be that I am afraid to push it in hard enough for fear of damage. Thoughts?

Default Re: strap peg

There are a few ways to fix this and nobody can really agree on the best way. Some past discussions are here. Another group of messages is here.

You're going to get many recommendations. One that doesn't seem all that awful is to put a small dab of clear fingernail polish on it, insert it, and let it dry.

No matter what method you end up using I like the Hans Brentrup secondary system to avoid a disaster if the peg pulls out.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	hans_strap.jpg 
Views:	92 
Size:	15.4 KB 
ID:	175655  
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

Thanks. Its reassuring to know I am by far the first person to have this problem. My prior mandolin (a Kentucky), had a metal nub that was part of the tailpiece, so falling out was not an option

That design that we all seem to love is a nod to tradition and there are some really obvious answers in design that should be used more but are not. I'll also point out it happens with guitars as well. Many times a small change in humidity can trigger issues on an instrument that never had the issue before. You are in good company.
    --M. Stillion

--J. Garber

My first The Loar LM 500 VS had the same issue. Had it for less than 24 hours, the strap button came out and the mandolin exploded on my tile floor! Luckily Saga thought it fit too loose and sent me a new one with two day shipping. Whew! I now pay very close attention to them even though my Webers screw in.
    2014 Weber F Style Yellowstone HT
    2014 Weber "Special Edition"
    2012 The Loar LM 500 VS

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Hird View Post
    My first The Loar LM 500 VS had the same issue. Had it for less than 24 hours, the strap button came out and the mandolin exploded on my tile floor! Luckily Saga thought it fit too loose and sent me a new one with two day shipping. Whew! I now pay very close attention to them even though my Webers screw in.
    Damn, pretty good. Saga doesn't even sell the Loar.
    --M. Stillion

--J. Garber