Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Primetone

Default Primetone

Please don't kill me... I've spent the last 4 hours researching Primetone picks and so I'm about to ask your advice over picks, for the second time this year... And I know, most of you guys don't want another "pick thread." But I need your help

I have a how acquired a few Wegens to compare with my partner's gift of a Wegen Bluegrass. But now I want to sample a Primetone.

I was gonna go for a triangular shape 1.4mm grippy. Nightmare (that I secretly enjoy) over, I thought. Until I discovered, low and behold, SMALL triangular! Now, I have smallish hands, nothing exactly freakishly so, but small hands and short fingers. I have the Wegen TF140 already and it's a little chunky at the moment, but I think that's because I've only been using the Wegen Bluegrass pick for a few weeks exclusively.

Which do I go for, small tri or regular tri? And does anyone have both that I can see a size comparison either to each other or each to the wegen tf140?

Many thanks, there aren't a lot of players up north west Engla d way, so I'm canvassing far and wide! Thank you

Kierri x

Blog Entries

Default Re: Primetone

I use the smooth Primetones, but they are the same size as the grippy ones (and I like them better, but that's just me). And I like the Wegen, too, but for the money Primetones are hard to beat.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0067.JPG 
Views:	309 
Size:	1.17 MB 
ID:	175728

I prefer the large triangles.
    New to mando? Click this link -->Newbies to join us at the Newbies Social Group.

Just send an email to rob.meldrum@gmail.com with "mandolin setup" in the subject line and he will email you a copy of his ebook for free (free to all mandolincafe members).

My website and blog: honketyhank.com

The large, grippy Primetone triangles are my go-to choice. 1.4mm or 1.5mm - I have both and can't tell the difference between them.

4. The following members say thank you to Ron McMillan for this post:

Large, non-grippy 1.5 Primetone is a great pick. I mostly use a Blue Chip TP60 (TP is marginally smaller) but those non-grippy Prime Tones are seriously good picks.

I always have one in my wallet and my “coin pocket” of my jeans, just in case.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny60 View Post
    Large, non-grippy 1.5 Primetone is a great pick.

Me too!

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bob Visentin For This Useful Post:

Yeah Primetones are fine picks the big triangle or the even the wee bit smaller rounded edge ones are fine by me and almost a Blue Chip. I keep going back to Wegens. They never wear out, well not in the last 15 years or so since I learned of them.

9. The following members say thank you to Bob Buckingham for this post:

Adrian Minarovic

I'm mostly using the smaller non-grip (brown) primetone for mandolin (either 1.3 or 1.5mm, with this size the thickness doesn't do much) and the larger ones for guitar (1.5mm). I reduced the RH bevels a bit so the edges are more symmetric and rounded bevels on both sides. I hate the modern 45degree bevel.
    I found out they play almost identical to BC when the shape is exactly the same.
    Adrian

I’ve tried the large 1.4 mm smooth variety and the smaller triangle with rounded corners, kind of Dawg style. The triangle ones are good picks and produce very good tone at a reasonable price, but they wear much faster than Wegen and BC. I got my first BC, for example, probably 7 years ago. I play a lot of rhythmic, driving stuff, and am just beginning to see some rounding on the main corner. I subbed a Primetone to try out once and got more wear after 2-3 weeks. I’ve never bonded with the Dawg style picks, though some swear by them. Just can’t get any volume without playing too hard, IMO.

Only way to know is to try them! If the Wegen feels chunky, try the smaller primetone and see what you think. They’re cheap enough to try different models, if you can get them without taking a beating on taxes and shipping...
    Chuck

I ordered the Primetone 1.5 sharp edged triangular and 1.3 round edged triangular to try when my first mandolin arrived in February. One was "grippy", the other not, but both worked fine, didn't notice much difference in grip. I liked the rounded one very much but the pointed end one felt enormous. After going through all my guitar picks the Dunlap 1.5 Petrucci is now the pick I use the most for my mandolin. I do have a Wegen very close to my rounded Primetone in size and shape but I haven't warmed up to it, don't like it as much. I didn't know there was a smaller triangular Primetone but now that I do I'll probably try one.

Name:	jp.jpg 
Views:	167 
Size:	181.5 KB 
ID:	175765

Nothing wrong with another pick thread.

Just sayin..
    Chris Cravens

Girouard A5
    Montana Flatiron A-Jr.
    Passernig Mandola
    Leo Posch D-18

14. The following members say thank you to ccravens for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny60 View Post
    Large, non-grippy 1.5 Primetone is a great pick. I mostly use a Blue Chip TP60 (TP is marginally smaller) but those non-grippy Prime Tones are seriously good picks.

In that case, your picks are clean.
    Silverangel A
    Arches F style kit
    1913 Gibson A-1

Name:	3F0742FA-4BAE-4C56-B277-1ED40ADCFE9E.jpeg 
Views:	185 
Size:	585.0 KB 
ID:	175768

Quote Originally Posted by Brian560 View Post

Name:	3F0742FA-4BAE-4C56-B277-1ED40ADCFE9E.jpeg 
Views:	185 
Size:	585.0 KB 
ID:	175768
    I have one of these, I like them because you can get them thinner. Mine is .73, which is the thinnest, but I would like it just a little thinner. I have used BC, Wegen, and most picks. The one I am liking, especially for dances and jams, is a Clayton Ultem in a .72. The Primetone is Utlex, so slightly different material. It is stiff, but has flex, so it's easier on my hands in a louder environment. It also makes the G sound great. I don't like a dead G string and this brings it out slightly more than the primetone, BC, or Wegen. I can get them in heavier gauges, and have tried the .80, but like the .73 best. The .80 is similar to the thicker .1 BC and Wegen in sound.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

Quote Originally Posted by pops1 View Post
    I have one of these, I like them because you can get them thinner. Mine is .73, which is the thinnest, but I would like it just a little thinner. I have used BC, Wegen, and most picks. The one I am liking, especially for dances and jams, is a Clayton Ultem in a .72. The Primetone is Utlex, so slightly different material. It is stiff, but has flex, so it's easier on my hands in a louder environment. It also makes the G sound great. I don't like a dead G string and this brings it out slightly more than the primetone, BC, or Wegen. I can get them in heavier gauges, and have tried the .80, but like the .73 best. The .80 is similar to the thicker .1 BC and Wegen in sound.
    Mine is a 2mm with the grip. I also have the larger triangle but don’t like it’s sound as much. The same is true for picks with a sharp point, though the point does make playing easier. It amazes me how much a pick can influence the sound.

Primetone picks are so inexpensive that it's not worth taking the advice of others about which one to select -- however well-intentioned and informed that advice may be! I recommend that you just buy BOTH styles of pick, and try them out yourself. You might find that you have a favorite. Then again, you might not -- and you will switch among the styles as it suits you in the months ahead. It's all good.

Quote Originally Posted by sblock View Post
    Primetone picks are so inexpensive that it's not worth taking the advice of others about which one to select -- however well-intentioned and informed that advice may be! I recommend that you just buy BOTH styles of pick, and try them out yourself. You might find that you have a favorite. Then again, you might not -- and you will switch among the styles as it suits you in the months ahead. It's all good.
    100% agree with this. I'd get two thicknesses of each size to start. Maybe get 1.2 in both sizes,then 1 on the second small pick size and 1.4 on the larger. Two different sizes and three thicknesses would get you dialed in. I find I like one size thinner for guitar than mandolin.
    Silverangel A
    Arches F style kit
    1913 Gibson A-1

IMHO (Your mileage will vary): I wasn't really impressed with the Primetone picks I bought. They're okay. I much prefer the D'Andrea ProPlecs.

22. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Elliot Luber For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Santiago View Post
    IMHO (Your mileage will vary): I wasn't really impressed with the Primetone picks I bought. They're okay. I much prefer the D'Andrea ProPlecs.
    Yes, mileage will vary, lol. Based on recommendations here on the Mandolin Cafe forum, I bought a pack of ProPlecs a couple of months ago and didn't like them at all. For me, Primetones totally beat them out in feel, response, volume, and tone.

It amazes me how many kinds of picks are out there and how different people can have such widely different responses to the picks. I always enjoy trying a new pick, though, especially if it is relatively inexpensive.
    Doug Brock
    2018 Kimble 2 point (#259), Eastman MD315, Eastman MDA315, some guitars, banjos, and fiddles

Quote Originally Posted by Santiago View Post
    Same here. I get more volume from the primetone material, but it is way too bright for my taste. The Proplecs give me a more woody sound. I do have a problem with the Proplecs developing scratches after a couple weeks that affect the tone. I have to polish them with fingernail boards.
    Follow the Flatt Stanley Incident on Facebook

Listen to original tune "When You Fly" by my old band The Kindreds

25. The following members say thank you to RobP for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by flatpicknut View Post
    It amazes me how many kinds of picks are out there and how different people can have such widely different responses to the picks. I always enjoy trying a new pick, though, especially if it is relatively inexpensive.

I think most of the differences are that there are a lot of differences in the sounds of folks mandolins. A pick that sounds good with one may not with another. Same for strings. Finding the right combination of strings, picks for a certain instrument and your ear is what it is all about. This may be the a more in depth search than finding the right mandolin in the first place.

27. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to pops1 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by pops1 View Post
    I think most of the differences are that there are a lot of differences in the sounds of folks mandolins. A pick that sounds good with one may not with another. Same for strings. Finding the right combination of strings, picks for a certain instrument and your ear is what it is all about. This may be the a more in depth search than finding the right mandolin in the first place.
    Yep! I’m trying to educate my ears but I’ve often wondered how one can really decide that a mandolin sounds a certain way when strings and their age and the pick and the room can make such a huge difference in sound on any specific mandolin.
    Doug Brock
    2018 Kimble 2 point (#259), Eastman MD315, Eastman MDA315, some guitars, banjos, and fiddles

Constant trial and error, or success. I have found the strings I like and now have have changed the pick to one that sounds better for me. BC, to Wegen, to Clayton. Different circumstances require different picks. If I plug in I want rounded Wegen for less resistance and less volume, as the pickup is plenty loud. Jam I defiantly want the Clayton. Getting to know the sound you want for different situations, and what pick gives it to you.

I demonstrated the obvious differences in sound different picks can make to my wife, whose high frequency hearing, at least, is probably better than mine. I guess I demo’d a Primetone, a Clayton, Tortex, and maybe a Fender Heavy.

She claimed she barely noticed any difference in them. Are these differences, perhaps at least partly, in the ear of the player?

Oh, I’m fairly sure they would be evident in a recording...probably.

Well, duh. I guess I should record myself and see if I can still hear those differences.

Quote Originally Posted by HonketyHank View Post
    I use the smooth Primetones, but they are the same size as the grippy ones (and I like them better, but that's just me). And I like the Wegen, too, but for the money Primetones are hard to beat.

Name:	IMG_0067.JPG 
Views:	309 
Size:	1.17 MB 
ID:	175728

I prefer the large triangles.
    I can't speak to the black Wegens, but the tonal differences between the white Wegens and the Primetones is quite significant to me. I'm surprised you don't mention it. I just recently switched away from my Bluechip CT55 (using on my guitar now) and away from my Primetone 1.4s to my Wegen TF140 as my current mandolin is a bit bright and harsh and the softer pluck of the Wegen increases its meliflouosness.

Price aside, there are other factors to consider. Blessings

PS Yes absolutely do record your mandolin with each pick and then you'll know just where things lie.