Thread: Mandolin/Concertina Album?

Default Mandolin/Concertina Album?

I was wondering if anyone has a recommendation for a mandolin and concertina album. Ideally, I'd love to find something that is just a duet, but a trio would be fun too, or anything where mandolin and concertina are playing together and are easily distinguishable and not lost in a larger group.

I expect this combo would point towards trad irish, but if there is any other kind of tunes-centric (or not) mando/concertina music out there, I'd love to hear it.

Suggestions?

Thanks,
    Baron
    MandoLessons: Free Online Mandolin Lessons
    Velocipede: My Fiddle Tune Duo
    Old Time Mandolin: Solo Old Time Mandolin Album

Default Re: Mandolin/Concertina Album?

At the risk of being accused of self-publicity, Baron, I have a bouzouki/concertina duet over on YouTube with a friend playing the concertina. More of a lead and backing arrangement and the tunes are Jenny Lind Polka and Nancy Clough.
    Here is the link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6n5mYcVAmp8

Good combination of instruments, that -- I would say that as my parents happen to play (at home for their own enjoyment) in that line-up, my father having taken up English concertina in retirement.

I can't think of any whole albums of concertina/mandolin music, but there are some mandolin players who also play concertina -- Nigel Gatherer and David Hansen here on the Cafe, for example. David has a number of nice duets (overdubbed with himself) on his Youtube channel. Dick Glasgow (a Scot living in Northern Ireland) has a nice duet of a Suttner Anglo concertina with a Sobell mandolin (plus some jew's harp) here:

http://vimeo.com/35912864

Dick has three albums out, but I don't know if any of them have the duets you're interested in.

As far as bands featuring both concertina and mandolin, Northumbrian concertina wizard Alistair Anderson had a mandolin player in the band for his 1982 album "Steel Skies". You can listen to two full tracks from that album on Alistair's home page, and the second of these (Green Ginger) is a concertina/mandolin duet with no other instruments which sounds very nice indeed. The other track has fairly prominent mandolin, too, so I would think that the rest of the album is probably mandolin-relevant, too. I may need to get this myself!

In other genres, a quick search shows that Barry Mitterhoff used to play in a band called "Calle Strada Strasse" who had a line-up of mandolin, English concertina and cello. They recorded an album on Global Village in 1986 (on CD in 1995), which is available on iTunes:

Link

The track listing looks mostly classical, but I haven't heard any of it.

If you allow accordion/fisarmonica instead of concertina, this is a common combination in Italian music (check out the duo recordings by Riccardo Tesi and Patrick Vaillant, for example) and also in klezmer.

Martin
    Last edited by Martin Jonas; Dec-06-2012 at 9:11am.

First Generation by Bertram Levy and Peter Ostroushko. Anglo concertina and mandolin. I think it's just on LP. Excellent.

Quote Originally Posted by John Kelly View Post
    ...I have a bouzouki/concertina duet over on YouTube with a friend playing the concertina. More of a lead and backing arrangement...
    Nice clip, John. The self-publicity is well deserved.

I've always loved playing with concertina players - both melody and backing (and sometimes somewhere in between). I used to play regularly with an Irish-style player in London. I now I play regularly with an English style Anglo player in Wales (). He happens to also own a beautiful Dave Gregory cittern (it just rings forever), which I get to accompany him on. I'm not sure anything I play is worthy of release, though.

No concertina, but this band play a quirky mix of instruments, including melodeon and mandolin (at the less unusual end of the scale). The repertoire is a mix of English, Canadian and US. Worth checking out.
    http://www.allgigs.co.uk/view/artist/934/Duck_Soup.html

Guidewires, an Irish/Breton group, have concertina and bouzouki. The concertina player, Padraig Rynne, is incredible. His solo album, Bye a While, is also worth checking out.

Thumbs up Re: Mandolin/Concertina Album?

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Robinson View Post
    First Generation by Bertram Levy and Peter Ostroushko. Anglo concertina and mandolin. I think it's just on LP. Excellent.
    I keep coming back to it. What a terrific album.

Adrian Gross posted this vid on the cafe a while back. I wish they would put out an album of just the 2 of them- I would love to hear more:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ac8rQm2YlG0