Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Peghead Nation

Default Re: Peghead Nation

It makes much more sense now, thanks for explaining it for me!
    My avatar is of my OldWave Oval A

Creativity is just doing something wierd and finding out others like it.

Well, a bit surprised yesterday. I have been traveling and not practicing as I should, long drives, long hours in manufacturing plants working, and more drives to the next facility. So, I get online, I pull up a lesson in Irish and decide that since the vids are short I would go back a couple and brush up before moving on to the next. Only I find that at the end of one of them an entire bit I missed. So I went back and gave a watch to everything I did so far and realized there was quite a bit to be learned from it. As I progress through the lessons I can go back and readdress bits in each that maybe now make more sense or I am just more proficient at doing, well, worth the effort even though I get irritated it isn't all just sinking in and magically appearing at my fingers. hahaha

I also realized that I was trying to rush mu right hand. My fingers can keep up but not cleanly and my right hand as I pick up speed loses the pick stroke and I am left stumbling trying to get it all back in sync. So I assume it means I just need to slow down until it is flawless then and only then try to pick the speed up a bit, rinse and repeat.

Can someone tell me when doing a lesson before moving on to the next should it be perfect? Or competent, I can after a quick review does one competently with few issues but not at full speed more just at the speed she teaches at. If I can do that I assume it is ok to move on to the next lesson? I tend to get hung up on perfection and if I don't think it was perfect I will keep with it for many months. I have had this issue in the past as well.

If I hung out on a lesson until perfection, I would never advance and would, ultimately, get discouraged. Too, it depends on the lesson. Perfection is elusive. I watch a lesson, then go back and take notes. After that comes practice to burn it into my head and work on muscle memory. It stays a part of my routine but I may move on and, at least, watch other lessons. You've got to find what works for you. Above all, stick with it. The old saying holds true, "Practice makes permanent" .
    "If your memories exceed your dreams, you have begun to die." - Anonymous

5. The following members say thank you to FredK for this post:

I generally have 8-10 tunes in various stages of learning/reviewing/perfecting in rotation at any time - like Fred if I waited until they were perfect I'd still be on tune #1. The fun thing about music is its not perfect - unless you're playing at Carnegie, etc. Like any skill it is fine tuned over time and with repetition, many times learning something new helps with something you may already know, and vice versa.
    Northfield F5M #268, AT02 #7

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bigskygirl For This Useful Post:

I have an old Doc Watson book with tunes along with short anecdotes about the tunes.
    An interesting quote about the tune Deep River Blues states that it took the Doc 10 years before he felt comfortable enough with it to play the tune in public!
    Just enjoy every day you wake up along with every breath you take. it’s an ongoing journey with no fixed destination!
    Best!

9. The following members say thank you to Barry Canada for this post:

Had an interesting thought today. I have noticed I can't pick as quick as I once did. I also noticed I was getting my tip snagged on the strings more than I remember I used to. So I decided to try and play over the fretboard and sure enough, I had a lot of sewing machine going on too much verticle movement. So for about 20 minutes, I tried some exercises over the fret board. What a mess, to begin with, sounded like I was trying to send morse code but everything was spelled wrong. Towards the end of the 20 minutes and with slowing down the speed I played the exercises I was well on my way to playing cleanly over the fretboard, minimal tapping. I then tried a couple of the songs from the lessons and everyone was quicker and cleaner. I am very happy with this extra practice, especially if I can get these kinds of results so quickly! FYI might be something anyone could try to improve their right-hand technique. I see a lot of people that have scooped the fretboard on their F style mandolins and perhaps with more practice it wouldn't have been necessary, just a thought. Has anyone else tried practicing this way? Did you have similar results? I think all the extra verticle motion was why my pick felt like it was snagging and why I felt slower than I felt I should be.

Well, perhaps I shouldn't revive my thoughts in this thread but I'm going to anyway. @ years into the Peghead Nation. I pay for two courses and haven't gotten through either. I got so focused on other projects and a bit dismayed at the inability to grasp a concept and technique in the Celtic course that I started a more beginner course, then didn't follow up with the needed practice. I am once again still focused on other projects but make time every day for the last couple of weeks to practice these courses as well and finally made it past my hurdles. Now the most important part is you have to be consistent and diligent about getting in and using the program! Watch the vids, rewind where needed, as much as needed, and practice. They really do work. I am upset with myself for not following through but sometimes life drags us away. I have made it a point that no matter what and even if it is only 15 minutes I get my practice in and it is working. Sometimes I miss a day but not often currently and sometimes I get 30 minutes or three or four 15 minutes breaks to dive in. Sometimes the short spurts seem more valuable than the longer ones. in the end anytime playing is better than no time playing. Early am thoughts thanks.

Thanks for your input. Have been trying the course and know what you mean about rhythmic picking lesson. Keep us informed on your progress.

I currently work with an in person tutor, and admittedly dont always remember what I am taught. I have considered a PHN subscription, and I think I am going to pull the trigger on the beginner series one. I only really want to play Irish trad, and will look into that course later. I am still wrapping my head around music theory as well, so sometimes it feels like drinking from a fire hose