Thread: Hello From Indiana

Default Hello From Indiana

Just wanted to introduce myself. I was told about this forum on another forum.

I live in Lafayette Indiana and have been playing guitar since grade school. Just turned 60 in February. Have been thinking about a mandolin for awhile.

On April 14th I went to a guitar show in Danville Indiana. As I was leaving my wife said "Don't buy any guitars". I have acquired 3 since December.

I stop by a booth and inquire about an inexpensive guitar. The guy says I'll give you a good deal. I just look at him.

He then throws out a number. I say no. He then throws in a gig bag at no cost. I say no. He points out that it is autographed by John Rich of Big and Rich.

I tell him the wife said no guitars. But she said nothing about a mandolin. So a Dean A style followed me home.

Now I need to learn to play it. Watched a few YouTube videos and now know chords C, G, and D. Can throw in a few bass notes and chop some chords. That will cover a lot of bluegrass.

Any book suggestions would be appreciated.

Looking forward to the journey.

Default Re: Hello From Indiana

For a beginning mandolin player, I recommend Don Julin's "Mandolin for Dummies." Nice broad coverage of the mandolin.

Welcome to the mandolin world!
    Doug Brock
    2018 Kimble 2 point (#259), Eastman MD315, Eastman MDA315, some guitars, banjos, and fiddles

Welcome to the mandolin and the cafe!
    --------------------------------
    1920 Lyon & Healy bowlback
    1923 Gibson A-1 snakehead
    1952 Strad-o-lin
    1983 Giannini ABSM1 bandolim
    2009 Giannini GBSM3 bandolim
    2011 Eastman MD305

Oh boy! I love the justification for bringing home a Mandolin! That is great!
    Abandon all hope, the Mandolin will set its talons in you and you will be lost forever in the pursuit of getting it in tune!
    Welcome aboard!
    Timothy F. Lewis
    "If brains was lard, that boy couldn't grease a very big skillet" J.D. Clampett

Welcome! A lot of us on this board came to the mandolin the same way.

Check out Mandolessons.com. Tons of good stuff there, for free, including a whole series for beginners.

Gummy Bears and Scotch BrianWilliam's Avatar

Hello from Colorado and “Mandolin Loophole” kudos!

Listen to as much bluegrass as you can and find a tune you like. Knowing the guitar will let you find what key the song is played in, then just try to duplicate what you are hearing. I learned a lot by trying to play along with songs. Start by learning some basic chord positions and just chopping along with the CD. Then play around with finding some single notes within the chord positions that match what you hear. Most importantly, have fun. Good luck.

Yes, i'd agree, find a tune or song that you really love, probably one you already know on the guitar and then on your mando make it yours!
    Here's one of my favourites, the mandolin here really goes for it!

9. The following members say thank you to Simon DS for this post:

Ranald 

Quote Originally Posted by rstaight View Post

On April 14th I went to a guitar show in Danville Indiana. As I was leaving my wife said "Don't buy any guitars". I have acquired 3 since December.
    Somebody at work gave me the info about that show. I said, "I'm trying to stay clean and sober on that."

I stopped going to those long ago because I always brought something home.
    "Be kind to the band; they never get to dance"

Thanks for the welcomes. Looking forward to the journey.
    2007 Indiana Scout
    2018 Indiana Madison Quilt Elite
    2018 Takamine GJ72CE 12 String
    2018 Takamine GD93
    1963 Gibson SG
    2016 Kala Uke
    Dean A Style Mandolin (year unknown)
    Plus a few lower end I have had for years

Blog Entries

Rstaight, Welcome aboard. You are already getting good suggestions but I had to jump in and suggest my own books. Where else will you find a mandolin book written by a guy born in Lafayette (a few months after you) who also lived in Danville as a kid. That is the most valid reason for blatant self-promotion I can think of.

I did lose the accent when we moved to Georgia in 1967 but still retain some Hoosierisms.

Happy picking!

Quote Originally Posted by bradlaird View Post
    Rstaight, Welcome aboard. You are already getting good suggestions but I had to jump in and suggest my own books. Where else will you find a mandolin book written by a guy born in Lafayette (a few months after you) who also lived in Danville as a kid. That is the most valid reason for blatant self-promotion I can think of.

I did lose the accent when we moved to Georgia in 1967 but still retain some Hoosierisms.

Happy picking!
    You may have lost the midwest draw, but I but you picked a bit of southern twang.
    2007 Indiana Scout
    2018 Takamine GD93
    1963 Gibson SG
    2016 Kala Uke

Blog Entries

Yes. I surely sound more like Jonesboro, Georgia than Indiana. Plenty of proof to witness on my Grass Talk Radio podcast.

Funny thing though that my brother who is two years older didn’t take on the lingo of the South. I suppose I was still impressionable in 3rd grade. Getting into bluegrass also had a huge impact on my dialect, no doubt.

Quote Originally Posted by bradlaird View Post
    Yes. I surely sound more like Jonesboro, Georgia than Indiana. Plenty of proof to witness on my Grass Talk Radio podcast.

Funny thing though that my brother who is two years older didn’t take on the lingo of the South. I suppose I was still impressionable in 3rd grade. Getting into bluegrass also had a huge impact on my dialect, no doubt.
    Need to look for your podcast.

Do you still use phrases like caddywampus and slantways? Still a Hoosier if you do.
    2007 Indiana Scout
    2018 Takamine GD93
    1963 Gibson SG
    2016 Kala Uke

Gibson F5L Gibson A5L
    Blog Entries

Welcome to The Café. Mandolin for Dummies is a very good mandolin trainer. This is also an excellent how to book for mandolin. Enjoy. R/ https://www.barnesandnoble.com/p/com...iABEgL7KPD_BwE
    I love hanging out with mandolin nerds . . . . . Thanks peeps ...

Blog Entries

Welcome to the cafe. I am really glad to see that you have overcome your GAS problems. MAS conquers GAS.
    New to mando? Click this link -->Newbies to join us at the Newbies Social Group.

Just send an email to rob.meldrum@gmail.com with "mandolin setup" in the subject line and he will email you a copy of his ebook for free (free to all mandolincafe members).

My website and blog: honketyhank.com

Start saving now.
    Silverangel A
    Arches F style kit
    1913 Gibson A-1