Thread: Elliott Mandolins

Default Elliott Mandolins

Anybody play/have a Ward Elliott mandolin? If so, what is your evaluation compared to some high end mandos like Gibson, Red Diamond, Gilchrist, Gibson Loar? I heard one the other day that sounded great!
    John A. Karsemeyer

Default Re: Elliott Mandolins

I don't own one but a friend of mine has an Elliott A model, which is the only mandolin outside of a Loar that I've played that I'd trade my Dearstone for. Only one I've ever seen but if they are all that good they would compare favoritely to about any mandolin.

3. The following members say thank you to Mandoplumb for this post:

JAK 

Ward is a good builder and a good guy. Craftsmanship is top level, sound is subjective. If you find one and you like the sound, be assured that you have found a good quality instrument that you like.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sunburst For This Useful Post:

formerly Philphool Phil Goodson's Avatar

Ward built an A5 style for me several years ago. I no longer have it but I didn't sell it because of any dissatisfaction with it. It had great tone, playability, fit & finish & sometimes I'm sorry I sold it. Great value. Ward builds very few mandolins these days because of staying busy with his repair work. If you find one of his that you like and is for sale, you'll be very lucky. They don't seem to be sold often.
    Phil

“Sharps/Flats” “Accidentals”

Hi John: I have Ward's #57 Built May 26, 2004. It's a killer and I'll never part with it. Workmanship is impecable. It will play over any banjo if I want.

I know a guy who has Elliot #50, F5 Varnish, who is thinking about selling it, but doesn't know what a good price would be. ???
    John A. Karsemeyer

formerly Philphool Phil Goodson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JAK View Post
    I know a guy who has Elliot #50, F5 Varnish, who is thinking about selling it, but doesn't know what a good price would be. ???
    AFAIK all of Ward's mandolins (with the Elliott label) are varnish finished and French polished. He does beautiful work. Too bad he's too busy repairing things to build new instruments. (Or many it's NOT too bad. Hmmm......?)
    Phil

“Sharps/Flats” “Accidentals”

JAK-- I'm a little bit confused! I made a mandolin for you back in about 2000, but you asked about my mandolins as though you'd never seen one? What's the story?

Hey Ward, I had that mando back then, an older guy has it now, he's not good with computers, so just "testing the waters" for him to see what price it might bring these days, anyone interested in it, etc. He's "on the fence" about keeping it or letting it go....
    John A. Karsemeyer

Hi John,
    Thanks for clearing that up for me! I was afraid that you'd forgotten that you once owned one of my mandolins! Good luck to your friend who is selling #50 and I hope he gets a ton of money for it! Ward