Thread: Swannanoa Gathering 2019

Default Swannanoa Gathering 2019

I have lived less than 2 hours from Swannanoa my whole life, but never been to the Gathering. Vacation time and funds worked out this year so I'm finally going!

Signed up for:

Period 2 Class: Mandolin Expansion - Marshall, Mike
    Period 3 Class: Advanced Swing/Jazz Mandolin - Stiernberg, Don
    Period 4 Class: Advanced Bluegrass Mandolin - Bibey, Alan

Took Period 1 off based on some suggestions I saw not to overload with 4 (and to get some extra sleep after late jams!).

Who else is going???
    Drew
    2020 Northfield 4th Gen F5
    2022 Northfield NFS-F5E
    2019 Northfield Flat Top Octave
    2021 Gold Tone Mando Cello
    https://www.instagram.com/pilotdrew85

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Drew Egerton For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Swannanoa Gathering 2019

I’ll be there, really looking forward to it after having to miss last year. I’ve signed up for the Mandolin Expansion class with Mike as well. Wise idea to leave an open class slot for practice, jamming or rest, my old brain goes into overload if I try to do 4 classes each day. The Swannanoa Gathering has been the best music camp experience for me, excellent faculty, great class format, over the top concerts each night and lots of jamming and hanging time with fellow mandolin addicts.

Oh man, so jealous. I got to go in 2017. Good choice doing 2-4. I started with a class and ended up dropping my 1st period, which was really tough since it was a class with John Reischman. But got to learn from Bibey, Flinner, and Compton. I needed that extra time to get my life together. I skipped breakfast most days and just grabbed the coffee/pastries on break between period 1 and 2 or hit the coffee shop. There is so much food that I really didn't need another meal. Enjoy your time and record everything. You will have material for quite some time to work through. I love going back to my Compton classes and playing along.

5. The following members say thank you to Josh Levine for this post:

Thanks Gary, I'll see you in class then! I've been in Mike's online Artist Works class for a couple of years now so I'm looking forward to seeing him in person.

Josh, thanks for the heads up on the coffee shop. That will probably come in handy after some late nights!
    Planning on bringing my Zoom h4n pro to record with at a nicer quality than the phone.
    Drew
    2022 Northfield NFS-F5E

I signed up also. My first time there. Been to Asheville a number of times over the years when I lived in Pawleys Island SC. Just did vacation in Black Mountain last year. Looking forward to it. Took three classes. Took off period three.
    Period 1: Mandolin Overview Mike Marshall
    Period 2: Intermediate Bluegrass Alan Bibey
    Period 4:Blues Mandolin Steve James

I'm looking forward to taking the time on the way there or on the way home to stop in Statesville N.C. at Harry and Jeanie West's. I missed it last year due to time constraints.
    Ray Dearstone #009 D1A (1999)
    Skip Kelley #063 Offset Two Point (2017)
    Arches #9 A Style (2005)
    Bourgeois M5A (2022)
    Hohner and Seydel Harmonicas (various keys)

"Heck, Jimmy Martin don't even believe in Santy Claus!"

I'll be there again to do repair and set-up work. Always a great week. Hope to see old friends and new faces as well. If all goes as it has the last few years, I'll be in the lounge across from the elevator on the second floor of Sunderland Hall. Stop by and say hi.
    Lynn

9. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Lynn Dudenbostel For This Useful Post:

Registered User Gabriel Wiseman's Avatar

I live less than 45 min away and work about 3 minutes away and I've never gone. lol. Wish I could though. I wonder if they would let outsiders in for jams at night....
    Gabriel Wiseman
    https://poplme.co/pmywrpAD
    www.jtrband.com
    Curt Mangan Strings

2021 Duff 2 Point, 1947 Gibson J-50

Quote Originally Posted by Gabriel Wiseman View Post
    I live less than 45 min away and work about 3 minutes away and I've never gone. lol. Wish I could though. I wonder if they would let outsiders in for jams at night....
    I’ve noticed some local folks who came in to join in for the jamming in previous years and I’m pretty sure you can also attend the evening concerts and pay at the door. Probably a good idea to give the Swannanoa office a call and confirm.

Quote Originally Posted by Gabriel Wiseman View Post
    You can't come, you'd make the rest of us look bad
    Drew
    2022 Northfield NFS-F5E

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Drew Egerton For This Useful Post:

Registered User Gabriel Wiseman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Egerton View Post
    You can't come, you'd make the rest of us look bad
    LOL.... I might be good looking but you would make us all sound bad... lol
    Gabriel Wiseman
    https://poplme.co/pmywrpAD
    www.jtrband.com
    Curt Mangan Strings

2021 Duff 2 Point, 1947 Gibson J-50

15. The following members say thank you to Gabriel Wiseman for this post:

Man, I wish I could afford to do it this year!!! I’m going to Ireland for the month of June, so I’m pretty financially tied to that....lol. Maybe next year though.........

"I wonder if they would let outsiders in for jams at night...."

I live about three miles down the road; I'm up there from about 9pm 'till well after midnight a couple of times a week for the whole summer.

Over the past ten years, I've helped with classes, I've played in the evening concerts and instructor showcases, I've jammed half the night with dozens of my heroes, I've met tons of great people, I've unsuccessfully tried to volunteer and to be a vendor on multiple occasions, I've spent hundreds of $$$ at the late night beer shack and the gardenburger lady, but I've never once been a paying attendee.......

One suggestion: bring something other than the week's featured instrument. On mandolin week there will be hundreds of out of tune and out of time mandolins mashing away on every corner. Bring your guitar to mandolin week, your mandolin to fiddle week, your bass to guitar week.....you
    will be a lot more in demand and have way more fun at the jams rather than being trapped in a circle of 57 other guitar players all ####### away to another chorus of Wagon Wheel....

18. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to j. condino For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Josh Levine View Post
    I got to go in 2017. Good choice doing 2-4..
    Like josh, I went in 2017 (Hey Josh!). I took the John Reischman old time class, the Celtic class with David Surette, and the Matt Flinner newgrass class. All three were excellent teachers, but very distinct in their approach and approachability. Before/after class, you will need some time to practice and process all of the information. So, for me 3 classes was a really happy medium. Unlike Josh, however, I have not gone back to my audio recordings at all, so I doubt I'd record at River of the West (going this June). There are some really amazing things about the Swannanoa Gathering - the 'get off the grid' and listen to/play music for as long as you can, the nighttime jams, the teacher concerts, the impromptu teacher jams, the food, the beautiful campus, the general good vibes...the list goes on and on. I have told lots of people that it was a transformational week for me as a person. It goes way beyond attending a music camp. Until Swannanoa, I didn't consider myself a musician. That week helped me understand the music that has always resided inside of me, and understand myself as a musician. Have a great time and be fearless - play in whatever circles catch your ear.
    ma dh'fheumas tu tarraing, dčan sin gu socair

Instruments

Mann 2 Point - 2011
    Girouard Mandola - 2013
    Pava A5 - 2019

20. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Toycona For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by willkamm View Post
    I'm looking forward to taking the time on the way there or on the way home to stop in Statesville N.C. at Harry and Jeanie West's. I missed it last year due to time constraints.
    Let me know when you're coming through Statesville and I may meet you down there.
    Drew
    2022 Northfield NFS-F5E

Gibson F5L Gibson A5L
    Blog Entries

I went in 14' and again in 16' … I think. The Swannanoa Gathering is a fine camp and well worth the trip. I definitely like their class setup / scheduling. The teacher picks are always top choices. The coffee bar and pastries will definitely work for those not early breakfast eaters. Have a great time. R/
    I love hanging out with mandolin nerds . . . . . Thanks peeps ...

23. The following members say thank you to UsuallyPickin for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Egerton View Post
    Let me know when you're coming through Statesville and I may meet you down there.
    Just saw this. Saturday July 6th. That's check out day. I'll send you a PM.
    Arches #9 A Style (2005)
    Bourgeois M5A (2022)

25. The following members say thank you to Bill Kammerzell for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by grandcanyonminstrel View Post
    "I wonder if they would let outsiders in for jams at night...."

I live about three miles down the road; I'm up there from about 9pm 'till well after midnight a couple of times a week for the whole summer.

Over the past ten years, I've helped with classes, I've played in the evening concerts and instructor showcases, I've jammed half the night with dozens of my heroes, I've met tons of great people, I've unsuccessfully tried to volunteer and to be a vendor on multiple occasions, I've spent hundreds of $$$ at the late night beer shack and the gardenburger lady, but I've never once been a paying attendee.......

One suggestion: bring something other than the week's featured instrument. On mandolin week there will be hundreds of out of tune and out of time mandolins mashing away on every corner. Bring your guitar to mandolin week, your mandolin to fiddle week, your bass to guitar week.....you
    will be a lot more in demand and have way more fun at the jams rather than being trapped in a circle of 57 other guitar players all ####### away to another chorus of Wagon Wheel....
    The only other thing I even try and play besides the mandolin is the radio. No, I'll bring some Blues Harps.
    Arches #9 A Style (2005)
    Bourgeois M5A (2022)

Quote Originally Posted by Lynn Dudenbostel View Post
    I'll be there again to do repair and set-up work. Always a great week. Hope to see old friends and new faces as well. If all goes as it has the last few years, I'll be in the lounge across from the elevator on the second floor of Sunderland Hall. Stop by and say hi.
    Lynn
    I just emailed you yesterday (June 2nd) evening Lynn. Pleasure to communicate with you. I have a few mandolins to keep you busy with setup work. I'll definitely be dropping by.
    Arches #9 A Style (2005)
    Bourgeois M5A (2022)

5 more days! Time to get excited. Anybody else coming? Looking forward to a great week.
    Drew
    2022 Northfield NFS-F5E

29. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Drew Egerton For This Useful Post:

Not going to the camp but I'll be around town. I'll try to swing by in the evenings!
    My Youtube Channel: http://bit.ly/1F9sJ8G

31. The following members say thank you to John Duncan for this post: