Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Triplets Pick Direction

Registered User Sherry Cadenhead's Avatar

Default Triplets Pick Direction

I found an old thread I believe addresses my issue, but, sadly, I don't understand the responses. I'm playing Jay Ungar's Mountain House (3/4 time). One measure has a half rest followed by a triplet. A second measure has a half note followed by a triplet. I presume pick direction is the same for both but can't decide if it should be DUD or UDU. What do you think?

Default Re: Triplets Pick Direction

Typically it should be a downstroke since you describe it as on the 3rd beat.
    Not all the clams are at the beach

Arrow Manouche
    Arrow Jazzbo
    Arrow G
    Clark 2 point
    Gibson F5L
    Gibson A-4
    Ratliff CountryBoy A

So DUD

Have a look at where you are going next. It's probably easy enough, and effective enough, to play the triplets either way. If you need or want to start the next note on a down, UDU could work for the triplets.

Are they on the same note? Same string? (I don't know this tune.)

Stop the chop!
    Blog Entries

If the second note is on a higher string than the first I will probably use DDU. If the first two notes are on the same string I might use a split downstroke for these two notes. Then, of course, you don't need to pick every note, so D-HO-U or D-PO-U may be the most convenient move.

The notes are DEF#, then G (A & E strings).

This is a beautiful tune. Free sheet music if you Google "mountain house sheet music." I need to be ready for a May 5 recital.

You can always just use alternate picking. I use it all the time for triplets and jigs.

Blog Entries

I don't think there's a rule that "all triplets are played DUD" or "all triplets are played UDU." I think it's strictly mechanical--where are you coming from and where are you going next? Whatever is most efficient is what you do.

Not being critical, just musing: When people talk about what the "right way" is--like, what did Bill do, or what did Earl do--if back in the day, when Paganini* played, did people whisper to each other, "Are you sure Alessandro** done it this'a way?"

*Paganini was known as the fastest violinist of all time; the Devil apparently taught P. before he taught Robert Johnson . See https://youtu.be/qVrkc6zRzEE and watch the speed of his left hand at 5:05 et seq!

**Alessandro Rolla was Paganini's mortal teacher.
    belbein

The bad news is that what doesn't kill us makes us stronger. The good news is that what kills us makes it no longer our problem

OK, that was confusing.

I looked up the sheet music and was quite puzzled until I figured out I was looking at the tune in the key of A, and it was also available in G. How are you fingering the passage? You might want to look at second or third position for the triplet so you don't get the sudden change in timbre between the D and the open E. Looking at it in context, do whatever is most comfortable picking—my guess is that there isn't a right or wrong answer.

When in doubt, play more downstrokes.
    Pete Braccio

"The Rules: Play nice and don't run with scissors"
    http://www.braccio.me
    Check out my web site for:
    Jack Tottle music files
    BBC Virtual Session files
    O'Neill's PDFs
    ITM Tunebooks, and more

11. The following members say thank you to Pete Braccio for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Louise NM View Post
    OK, that was confusing.

I looked up the sheet music and was quite puzzled until I figured out I was looking at the tune in the key of A, and it was also available in G. How are you fingering the passage? You might want to look at second or third position for the triplet so you don't get the sudden change in timbre between the D and the open E. Looking at it in context, do whatever is most comfortable picking—my guess is that there isn't a right or wrong answer.
    Quote Originally Posted by belbein View Post
    I don't think there's a rule that "all triplets are played DUD" or "all triplets are played UDU." I think it's strictly mechanical--where are you coming from and where are you going next? Whatever is most efficient is what you do.
    Not being critical, just musing: When people talk about what the "right way" is--like, what did Bill do, or what did Earl do--if back in the day, when Paganini* played, did people whisper to each other, "Are you sure Alessandro** done it this'a way?"
    *Paganini was known as the fastest violinist of all time; the Devil apparently taught P. before he taught Robert Johnson . See https://youtu.be/qVrkc6zRzEE and watch the speed of his left hand at 5:05 et seq! **Alessandro Rolla was Paganini's mortal teacher.
    When I played in a bluegrass gospel band and we were working on a cover of say Doyle Lawson, a band member would sometimes day that wasn't the way "Doyle" did it. My reply maybe Doyle didn't do it right.

Gibson F5L Gibson A5L
    Blog Entries

Well ….. "it" is always about the tune. What works in the context of how the melody lays out on the fingerboard. Mostly pick or bow direction is about the "leave" …. as in what's next and how is it played. I expect alternate strokes will work as well as anything …. let us know what you decide. R/
    I love hanging out with mandolin nerds . . . . . Thanks peeps ...

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mandoplumb View Post
    that wasn't the way "Doyle" did it.
    "Well Doyle aint here, izze?"

I had not heard this tune. Very pretty and suttle!

The notes are DEF#, then G (A & E strings).
    I'm going to guess that the DEF# triplet in question is the "pick up" run that starts the b section (the 2nd part) of the tune. Is this correct? If so, I think the G note on the first down beat of the b part is the important place to land squarely. Maybe try Down on the D, up on the E , hammer-on the F#, then down on that G. Think of it as 4 notes. D-U-HO D.

I like what Usually Pickin says here
    "Well ….. "it" is always about the tune. What works in the context of how the melody lays out on the fingerboard."
    Good luck! Keep us posted.

16. The following members say thank you to Ky Slim for this post:

Bhiyao 

Quote Originally Posted by Mandoplumb View Post
    When I played in a bluegrass gospel band and we were working on a cover of say Doyle Lawson, a band member would sometimes day that wasn't the way "Doyle" did it. My reply maybe Doyle didn't do it right.
    My first instinct when I hear that kind of remark is to pack up and say something like, "Guess you should call Doyle. Bye."
    “Like winds and sunsets, wild things were taken for granted until progress began to do away with them. Now we face the question whether a still higher ‘standard of living’ is worth its cost in things natural, wild and free.” -- Aldo Leopold

Quote Originally Posted by Sherry Cadenhead View Post
    I found an old thread I believe addresses my issue, but, sadly, I don't understand the responses. I'm playing Jay Ungar's Mountain House (3/4 time). One measure has a half rest followed by a triplet. A second measure has a half note followed by a triplet. I presume pick direction is the same for both but can't decide if it should be DUD or UDU. What do you think?
    You'll most likely get many opinions on pick direction as there have been other threads about it.

But if you go to the Videos, Pictures & Sound Files section, look for the 2019 Tune-A-Week thread and watch the videos put up by Jill McAuley you'll see some fine practical examples to emulate. Enjoy!
    Mike

Those who think they should think, like they think others think they should think, need to think out their thinking, I think.

No envejecemos, maduramos. -Pablo Picasso

19. The following members say thank you to wildpikr for this post:

Lovely tune! Thanks for the kind words Mike!

Re: triplets and picking, Marla Fibish advocates for both DUD and UDU, depending on where in the tune the triplets fall. I would say do what feels comfortable for you and what seems to work with the flow of the tune best.
    2018 Girouard Concert oval A
    2015 JP "Whitechapel" tenor banjo
    2018 Frank Tate tenor guitar
    1969 Martin 00-18

my Youtube channel

21. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jill McAuley For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by trodgers View Post
    My first instinct when I hear that kind of remark is to pack up and say something like, "Guess you should call Doyle. Bye."
    The statement was made tounge-in-cheek. When learning or performing a song why should I try to do it exactly like some else. That is the job of a recorder, not a musician. Ever heard of the band 1964,they do the Beatles to a tee down to the left handed bass? But what have they contributed musically. They are a novelty act nothing more.

What pick direction would you use for triplets in this exercise? I'm thinking DUD. My classical violin teacher may have a different idea.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Pick Direction Triplets.jpg 
Views:	128 
Size:	97.6 KB 
ID:	195078

Sherry, I would use UDU but that may be my personal preference for keeping my right hand in the DUDU pattern. It also puts the quarter notes after the triplets naturally on a down stroke, which for me helps with tone. It also feels more ergonomic as far as movement for my right hand but ymmv.

25. The following members say thank you to Johnnymac511 for this post:

Blog Entries

I presume pick direction is the same for both but can't decide if it should be DUD or UDU. What do you think?
    DDU is a popular choice as well.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

What pick direction would you use for triplets in this exercise? I'm thinking DUD. My classical violin teacher may have a different idea.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Pick Direction Triplets.jpg 
Views:	128 
Size:	97.6 KB 
ID:	195078
    Sherry, I would play the triplets in this exercise, DUD.

28. The following members say thank you to Jon Hall for this post:

Blog Entries

I'd practice it both ways. That way when I'm improvising the tune, for example after stumbling on a passage upstream from this section, I'm ready.
    -- Don

"Music: A minor auditory irritation occasionally characterized as pleasant."
    "It is a lot more fun to make music than it is to argue about it."

2002 Gibson F-9
    2016 MK LFSTB
    1975 Suzuki taterbug (plus many other noisemakers)
    [About how I tune my mandolins]
    [Our recent arrival]

DUD at tempo, lots of jigs as practice until you’ve really got it down, then branch out, UDU later on as your learning adventure progresses.

Try to concentrate on one new technique at a time and be conscious of the requirements to perfect it.
    Be strict with your (DUD DUD) jig playing, always with a metronome, and always with some sort of accent.

You need to try to get your rhythm to be slow and musical from day one.

And of course you need to do whatever you like.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by JeffD View Post
    DDU is a popular choice as well.
    My mistake. I was thinking of how to pick for jigs. 6/8 or 9/8 picking. Not enough coffee. Sorry.

For written out triplets that are part of the tune, I most often do DUD, and it is my default when sight reading. Second triplet in a row, I will go UDU, i.e. alternate DUD UDU as I normally would. As in "The Rights of Man".

I have a mandolin coach that helps me with fingerings and phrasing of the classical music I try to play, and it is not uncommon that she recommends a given triplet be played UDU. There have been more than a few times where DUD was not correct, and sometimes specific bowing directions are indicated on the music (I often play from violin music).

But if it is not marked, and I have no learned advice to the contrary, I go with DUD at least initially.

For triplets that are an ornament, as in many Irish tunes, I go into a brief three note tremolo, which is almost always DUD. To my mind tremolo is a separate "regime" of playing, not part of the slow to fast picking continuum. So when I think of a triple ornament as a brief tremolo I can "get it" without losing the rhythm of the tune.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....