Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Traditional or modern design, what's your strategy ?

Default Re: Traditional or modern design, what's your strategy ?

Quote Originally Posted by JeffD View Post
    If you find a design attractive, for what ever reason, and you have been around awhile, then trust that what you like is likable, what you are attracted to is attractive, and what you love is lovable. Then you are free to let your internal compass be the arbiter of design decisions through out the build.
    That's true enough. However, it is very hard to come up with a new shape for any part of a musical instrument that is successful. I draw, CAD sculpt, 3d sculpt, and revise designs for years before I make them into real instruments. The design for my Nautilus mandolins I started in 2003, and made the first Nautilus in 2012.

Radical departures may actually be easier to pull off, since they are not having to compete with what the customer expects to see.

2. The following members say thank you to Marty Jacobson for this post:

Wish I could remember his exact words but Bill Bussmann, one time told me, that for some pretty far out folks, musicians get mighty conservative when making instrument choices.

4. The following members say thank you to JimKo for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Philphool View Post
    I don't know how close you might be to Jean LaCote, who lives in France and used to post here often. He's done some variations in design. You might find a talk with him somewhat interesting. He's a nice guy.

Here's his website.
    Hi Philphool , nice idea you have had here , in fact Sebo lives at just 40 kms from my home , in other words he is my neighbour .
    we met yesterday morning for the first time , and probably not the last .
    We exchanged a lot of advices & ideas .
    He had brought with him a wonderfull wiessenborn almost finished and the very beginning pieces of an F mando .
    I could show him some instruments I have at home .
    Nice morning yesterday
    It's funny to think that persons close to each others arrived to have contacts via a forum from the other side of the ocean .
    Jean

6. The following members say thank you to french guy for this post:

formerly Philphool Phil Goodson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by french guy View Post
    Hi Philphool , nice idea you have had here , in fact Sebo lives at just 40 kms from my home , in other words he is my neighbour .
    we met yesterday morning for the first time , and probably not the last .
    We exchanged a lot of advices & ideas .
    He had brought with him a wonderfull wiessenborn almost finished and the very beginning pieces of an F mando .
    I could show him some instruments I have at home .
    Nice morning yesterday
    It's funny to think that persons close to each others arrived to have contacts via a forum from the other side of the ocean .
    Jean
    I'm glad to have helped Jean. Every time I am in Union Grove I think of you pleasantly.
    Would love for you to visit here again someday.
    Phil

“Sharps/Flats” “Accidentals”

Ever wonder why all small cars look alike? Because of practical design issues to achieve a certain result. To be fuel efficient they have to be streamlined in a certain way. To meet safety requirements they have to have the same kinds of bumpers and body parts. To be appealing they share the same appearance.

I think the same thing applies to a lesser extent in mandolins. But to get a certain sound it needs to be made in a certain way, and that way has been developed over a long period of time. Because it works. If it were a different sound we were looking for there would be more unusual designs. And let's admit it: the mandolin is a pretty traditional instrument. And, as it has been mentioned, lutherie is a business and Florentine style A's and F's sell the best.

But who knows. Go crazy, you may discover the next great design!