Thread: Anyone from SWFL?

Post Anyone from SWFL?

I live in Bonita Springs , FL and was wondering if there are any other players from the mandolincafe who live around this area. Looking to find some good jams!

Default Re: Anyone from SWFL?

Hi Joe,

I used to live in Port Charlotte and there used to be an amazing open jam every Thursday night in Gilchrist Park on the banks of the beautiful Peace River in Punta Gorda. These used to involve several different jams spread throughout the park with hundreds of people walking around to listen in. Although I wasn't a bluegrasser then, the BG jams were often epic.

On my last trip home, I was told many a sob story that the City of Punta Gorda was trying to put the breaks on the whole thing as it was starting to become too disruptive for local residents! Of course, this hasn't stopped things completely but I hear its now much smaller than what it was. I've also been told that different segments are meeting on different nights and not always in Gilchrist Park. I believe the Bluegrass jams now occur on a different night in another park less than a quarter mile away. Are you interested in a particular style of jam? I can always call some friends and find out when and where various groups are meeting.

Btw, my mother lives in on the northern edge of BS and it's only about a 35 minute drive to PG.
    Play that which you feel is groovy, get down with your bad self, and shake your money maker if it makes sense for you to do so.

3. The following members say thank you to Scotter for this post:

Default Re: Anyone from SWFL?

Sounds awesome Scotter, thanks for sharing. I’d love to know more so I can get out to one! I love to freestyle jam and I like to play bluegrass as well as old-time, Irish, and Appalachian tunes on mandolin and learning the fiddle. Thanks again!