Thread: pointless pick

Default pointless pick

Im interested to see if anyone uses a completely round pick. If so where did you get it? I built one out of an old wegen and really like it. I dont have to worry about it moving around as its always at the right angle to the strings and i also like the sound i get from it.

Default Re: pointless pick

Pointless picks available here... http://www.pointlesspicks.com
    "Well, I don't know much about bands but I do know you can't make a living selling big trombones, no sir. Mandolin picks, perhaps..."

What's the point?

(okay, I had to say it. sorry)
    Loar LM-370

“The music is not in the notes, but in the silence between.” ― Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to DocT For This Useful Post:

Jimmy Gaudreau allegedly used a round pick at one point, but later changed. I am not aware of any other mandolinists who do. You lose a lot of brightness in the tone with no point -- and no bevel, either -- but maybe that's what you're after?

6. The following members say thank you to sblock for this post:

V picks make a round one, i think it’s called the gypsy
    I should be pickin' rather than postin'

I have a round Bluechip 50. i dig it.

Quote Originally Posted by AlanN View Post
    I have a round Bluechip 50. i dig it.
    I didnt see a round bluechip for sale on their website but thats what im looking for. And yes you loose a bit of brightness but that all depends on your instrument, and the material that the pick is made of, plus i pick up , Get it pick up, lol speed and accuracy and it just makes my playing that much better. but everyone is different.

Kentucky km900
    Yamaha piano, clarinet, violin; generic cello;
    a pedal steel (highly recommended); banjo, dobro don't get played much cause i'm considerate ;}

Shopping/monitoring prices: vibraphone/marimbas, rhodes, synths, Yamaha brass and double reeds

Quote Originally Posted by banjofish View Post
    I didnt see a round bluechip for sale on their website but thats what im looking for.
    Matthew made it for me, long ago.

Many years ago I made the trip to Mecca (Mandolin Bros. r.i.p.). Larry Wexer, empoyee at the time, heard my feeble attempt at tremelo and suggested trying the Dawg pick to improve technique. I did just that and it worked! After I was satisfied with my tremelo, I found myself wanting a little more treble tone in my playing so I ended up and staying with the Dunlop Ultex 1.14. It gives me enough point plus more mass so I never lose grip.
    Old Hometown, Cabin Fever String Band

Quote Originally Posted by gtani7 View Post
    Yes i have a bunch of those and they are great picks especially for the money. But they still have a pointy end that must be in line with the strings at all times. The whole idea of a round pick is you never have to worry about it rotating in your fingers and finding out your playing on the side of the pick. Play a song fast 3 times and see where the pick is at the end. With me it rotates a bit and will then affect my accuracy, tone, and feel in my fingers. This is just me and we are all different and some much better at controlling the pick.

I have used dimes and nickles and quarters does that count? I also at times use the curved end of my blue chip jass pick or the triangle BC's I have.
    My avatar is of my OldWave Oval A

Creativity is just doing something wierd and finding out others like it.

Years ago Bobby Osborne used a round pick, at least I remember a picture of him holding a round pick.

Here's a (fuzzy) close-up of the publicity pic I remember of Bobby and a round pick.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BobbyOandRoundpick.jpg 
Views:	144 
Size:	83.7 KB 
ID:	176658  

17. The following members say thank you to AlanN for this post:

There's been stories about Brian May, Dimebag darrell and other rockers using coins as picks but when i tried it it sounded horrible

https://web.archive.org/web/20130131...n-may-505.aspx
    Kentucky km900
    Yamaha piano, clarinet, violin; generic cello;
    a pedal steel (highly recommended); banjo, dobro don't get played much cause i'm considerate ;}

Shopping/monitoring prices: vibraphone/marimbas, rhodes, synths, Yamaha brass and double reeds

Quote Originally Posted by gtani7 View Post
    There's been stories about Brian May, Dimebag darrell and other rockers using coins as picks but when i tried it it sounded horrible
    If I recall Dr. May used to use an old British sixpence coin.

http://www.feelnumb.com/2010/11/02/q...a-guitar-pick/

https://equipboard.com/pros/brian-may/sixpence-coin

Queen commemorative pick

https://crockpics.com/brian-mays-use...a-guitar-pick/

pick in action

Although I was aware of this in the 70's, I always used picks with a sharp point on guitar, mandolin, Greek bouzouki, etc.

I still do - but this thread is about round picks.

20. The following members say thank you to DavidKOS for this post:

I see you could not resist. Yes, you are right: This thread is about picks without a point.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BC50.jpg 
Views:	98 
Size:	54.5 KB 
ID:	176662  

22. The following members say thank you to AlanN for this post:

wow thanks so much for that photo.I always knew mandolin players were nice folks

I went through a phase early on where I used the rounded end of a guitar pick on mandolin, and IIRC I started doing it because I thought it would help my tremolo out as well. Played that way for a few months, then moved on to heavier large triangle shaped picks. I've tried Golden Gate, Dawg, and the roundest of the Primetones within the past couple of years, and I can't get any volume/tone with those now. Not sure what happened, but I need at least a little bit of a point these days. But, if round works for you, go for it!!

Also, I used a quarter in a pinch once on guitar, and agree it didn't sound very good. Brian May sure made it work for him, though!!
    Chuck

Well here is a update for those interested. I emailed blue chip to see if they could make me an all round pick. They answered back yes of course and in fact they make one for Del McCoury that i could order. Its a tad 40 in a round shape. So i ordered two and they arrived yesterday and i am very happy to say the least. Great control, great accuracy, and great tone. I think the thinner pick with the very round attack give me a tone that is equal to a thicker pick but pointed. But hell what do i know... any way if your having trouble holding on to your pick, controlling the angle of attack of the point (having it rotate in your fingers while you play) and have tried everything else you might give this a try.

Southeast Vermont - take your pick of snow or ticks

When Django came to New York he went backstage at Carnegie Hall to meet Les Paul, who was playing there. Les asked Django if he’d play something and Django borrowed a guitar and asked for a pick. Les apologized and said he was sorry but all he had were the perfectly round picks he used. Django said it was perfect, same as he liked to use. The story is in Michael Dregni’s superb Django biography.

27. The following members say thank you to Brian B for this post:

Here is an update to my Pointless pick post. i ordered two more from blue chip, a 50 and a 60 and love them both. The 40 feels a bit thin in my fingers but works well just the same but i am using the 50 now exclusively and i am really pleased with the tone and control the round pick has given me. For those if you having pick control problems I highly recommend this.

29. The following members say thank you to banjofish for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by CES View Post
    I went through a phase early on where I used the rounded end of a guitar pick on mandolin, and IIRC I started doing it because I thought it would help my tremolo out as well. Played that way for a few months, then moved on to heavier large triangle shaped picks. I've tried Golden Gate, Dawg, and the roundest of the Primetones within the past couple of years, and I can't get any volume/tone with those now. Not sure what happened, but I need at least a little bit of a point these days. But, if round works for you, go for it!!

Also, I used a quarter in a pinch once on guitar, and agree it didn't sound very good. Brian May sure made it work for him, though!!
    I've never played a perfectly round pick for mando. I found about 30 years ago that I fell right into the standard Golden Shape that I still use to this day. Then I discovered the new Dawg, which I like even more. I also will switch to a standard triangle shape if I'm not doing much tremelo.

Has anyone tried Charmed Life products? A buddy of mine got one of their mandolin models and says he likes it a lot. I live in another state so I haven't had a chance to try it.

Thanks,
    M&M

Many years ago before I had much picking experience, the points of my picks would get stuck in the strings easily, so I fashioned a few picks that were completely round, which suited me nicely for a while. My playing evolved over time, and now I couldn't play with a round pick if my life depended on it (I prefer large pointed triangles).

bratsche
    "There are two refuges from the miseries of life: music and cats." - Albert Schweitzer

GearGems - Gifts & apparel for musicians and more!
    MandolaViola's YouTube Channel

Out of sheer curiosity I ordered the sample pack from pointlesspicks. They came fast and in three thicknesses. I have not spent much time with them but they sure feel odd! I did like them for bass guitar which I use a pick on anyway. Makes for a nice thick tone.

I think I have too much "guitar muscle memory" or I am too lazy to invest the time to change but I will give them more time.