Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Why no narrow nut options?

Default Re: Why no narrow nut options?

Can you simulate a narrow nut by just cutting a normal nut to simulate narrower string spacing? Or putting a narrow nut on a conventional width neck?

I, meanwhile, am one of the guys who prefers the wide nut. (But I'm a guitar player and a mandolin pretender!)

A few years ago I owned a Nichols Road F5 with a 1" nut, flat board. It played well, sounded very Gibson-ish. Very underrated builder imho.

My 88 Givens A has a 1” nut and a narrow neck. Very easy to play and to access the upper frets.

I prefer maximum width of 1-1/8". My Gibson snakehead I believe has a narrower neck than that but it is comfortable to play. I do prefer a chunkier depth to the neck though. I remember playing a friend's Apitius with a very shallow neck profile and found it hard to deal with. As Br1ck noted above, I also don't measure but just go by what feels good to me.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1