Thread: Peghead Nation Instructors

Default Peghead Nation Instructors

I'm an intermediate player. Any suggestions between taking Sharon Gilchrist or Joe K. Walsh's courses at Peghead Nation. I've been a member of Artist Works and would like to explore another school. Thanks.

Gibson F5L Gibson A5L
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Peghead Nation Instructors

Joe K. has some very interesting tunes in his group of lessons. Ms G. I have had workshops and lessons with and she taught me a bundle. You can't lose with either teacher. R/
    I love hanging out with mandolin nerds . . . . . Thanks peeps ...

Depends on your goals, interests and skill level. I've been enrolled in three of their courses (Sharon's Intermediate Bluegrass Mandolin, Joe's Advancing Mandolinist and Bluegrass Mandolin Jam Favorites) at various times and have found them all valuable. Intermediate Bluegrass Mandolin focuses on a lot of fundamental technique and theory, coupled with classic repertoire. Mandolin Jam Favorites is more heavily focused on repertoire than technique or theory, but does discuss them in context of the tunes presented. The Advancing Mandolinist is the most challenging and has the broadest scope, but it has consistently challenged me and kept me engaged. It also has the most lessons available of the three.

I would look through the lesson plans and see what interests you. "Intermediate" is a hard term to define, and you'll ultimately have to decide for yourself what you're ready for. One of the nice things about Peghead Nation is that a extra courses can be added for only $10 more per month, so you could do a couple and see what you like.
    Mitch Russell

I've been one of Joe Walsh's students at PHN for some time and I like his instruction and selection of songs. More than the others available I've spent more time on his sessions.

Do yourself a favor and consider Mike Compton's Monroe-Style courses - very challenging but a heck of a lot of fun! I wish each had 40-50 songs to choose from but I guess that comes from still being a relatively new website.

A great feature of PHN is the option to change courses/instructors at any time during your subscription term. I’ve taken lessons from Joe K Walsh, Sharon Gilchrist, John Reischman, and Marla Fibish, and have switched back and forth depending on my current musical interests. I’ve enjoyed every one of their lessons and gained different insights by switching it up. That variety keeps me interested and engaged.

6. The following members say thank you to Steve-o for this post:

+1 on Sharon Gilchrist. She has a very comfortable teaching style. Another nice thing about Peghead Nation is that you can switch courses during the month. Of course, there is a limit to the number of times you switch but it is an added bonus. It allows you to shop around a little. I just switched over to Chad Manning's Theory for Mandolin and Fiddle. He's shares a lot of good information, too. John Reischman's course is on my radar, as well.
    "If your memories exceed your dreams, you have begun to die." - Anonymous

Thanks everyone, great suggestions. I didn't know you could switch teachers!

No hijack intended-well maybe....... I consider myself an intermediate and reviewed Peghead’s course descriptions. I found I didn’t know some of the beginner things (S Gilchrist courses) but was proficient on about half the intermediate stuff. I contacted them and was told that you can switch around at your discretion. Not sure how that works, but I think I’ll start with the beginner stuff I don’t know, so I guess I’ll find out. They seem pretty flexible. I suck, so improvement is definitely needed - ha ha!
    Thanks

Several mandolins of varying quality-any one of which deserves a better player than I am.......

I'm paid for the year for the Beginner course and Irish Mandolin, learning a bunch! I find the Irish Course a challenge and added the Beginner to keep me motivated which is helping me progress in the Irish course. I feel for me they build on each other but a lot is just getting more proficient with fretting and picking when one is to difficult I jump to the other for a while then jump back and find I can now get moving again.
    Last edited by John Bertotti; May-31-2019 at 10:45am. Reason: add some thoughts
    My avatar is of my OldWave Oval A

Creativity is just doing something wierd and finding out others like it.

Dude - Aaron Weinstein is a new instructor there. I love Joe K Walsh and Sharon Gilchrist - they are both amazing in their own ways, but Aaron joining them is the primary reason I'm going to be signing on with Peghead for a few months (once they release those lessons that is haha).
    Information on lessons, gigs, and misc musical stuff: www.mattcbruno.com
    Weekly free Mandolin Lessons: www.mattcbruno.com/weekly-posts/
    My gear and recommendations: www.mattcbruno.com/gear-recommendations/
    Cooking fun: www.mattcbruno.com/quarantine-cookbook/

Mando's in use
    Primary: Newson 2018
    Secondary: Gibson F9 2014
    Primary Electric: Jonathan Mann OSEMdc 5