Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Should I take my Eastman MD305 on vacation?

Default Should I take my Eastman MD305 on vacation?

I am a new player, only 2 months in. I am practicing / playing everyday and am starting to build some finger strength. I am going on vacation to Isreal with my family for 3 weeks in July and can't bear the thought of being away from my mandolin for that long, partly for the joy of playing and partly to keep building strength. I have an Eastman MD305 which I am fond of, but at my beginner level I can't yet tell if it is a "keeper". My question is: Should I take the MD305 or look for a $100 used piece of junk to bring? I have a case I can carry on the plane, so I'm not worried about crushing it. But I am worried that changes in temperature and humidity and the strains of high altitude air travel will do damage. Thoughts?

Default Re: Should I take my Eastman MD305 on vacation?

If buying a new one wouldn't be a huge hardship I would take it. If you can't afford to replace a $400ish instrument then no.

I travel with my Eastman MD604 and no trouble. Altitude isn't an issue, it's temp, and to a lesser degree humidity.

Baggage handlers are the main risk, and luggage compartments aren't as nice as passenger comparments, so carry-on preferred. Mandos are small so they carry on pretty easy.
    Davey Stuart tenor guitar (based on his 18" mandola design).
    Eastman MD-604SB with Grover 309 tuners.
    Eastwood 4 string electric mandostang, 2x Airline e-mandola (4-string) one strung as an e-OM.
    DSP's: Helix HX Stomp, various Zooms.
    Amps: THR-10, Sony XB-20.

You mention a case that you can carry on the plane, but then you mention the strains of high altitude air travel. Are you able to have the mandolin in the cabin, or will it checked in? Are you SURE you'll be able to hand carry? I've seen too many pictures of instruments damaged by the airlines - there's a reason why Calton and others can get so much for their cases.

If you can hand-carry, then my only concern (other than the airlines telling you when you get there that you can't hand-carry), would be temperature at your destination. I would plan on NOT leaving the mandolin in a car in the open sun. When I've taken wooden instruments on summer vacations, I've had to carry them into restaurants, stores, etc., rather than leave them in the car where the temps can easily get too high for an MD305.
    Doug Brock
    2018 Kimble 2 point (#259), Eastman MD315, Eastman MDA315, some guitars, banjos, and fiddles

Go ahead and take it, provided those around you won't be upset about it, and you will have a place to play it. I don't believe hotels qualify.

Don't waste money on a crappy mandolin. In fact if I were going abroad, I'd see if I could find someone there needing to buy a mandolin, and ferry one over with the understanding you'd make the exchange before you left. There are quite a lot of threads that start with, I can't find any good mandolins here....
    Silverangel A
    Arches F style kit
    1913 Gibson A-1

As others have said, if you have money then you have more options.
    In that situation I’d consider going without the mandolin and spend the money you would have spent on a Rogue or something, instead on an interesting instrument that you may find over there. Going to a cheap hotel, unless you have family there, will save a lot.
    The Middle East has to have a lot of cool instruments, maybe not mandolin but you have an opportunity to have a look around.

If you can see you can play it 15 minutes daily, then the rest is logistics. I haven't had a problem with a mandolin as carryon.

But ymmv, especially internationally. I would check for CITES issues, I don't know if it contains any ebony or other prohibited woods.
    Not all the clams are at the beach

Arrow Manouche
    Arrow Jazzbo
    Arrow G
    Clark 2 point
    Gibson F5L
    Gibson A-4
    Ratliff CountryBoy A

7. The following members say thank you to Bill McCall for this post:

I would just take it with me.

fishing with my mando darrylicshon's Avatar

I almost always take a mandolin with me , sometimes i don't get much time to play, but when i do I'm glad i brought it with me
    Ibanez 70's 524, 521, 3 511's,2 512's,513,1 514,3 80s 513's, 522
    J Bovier F5-T custom shop
    Kiso Suzuki V900,
    The Loar lm600 Cherryburst
    morgan monroe mms-5wc,ovation
    Michael Kelly Octave Mandolin
    Emandos Northfield octave tele 4, Northfield custom jem octave mandolin 5 octave strat 8
    2 Flying v 8, octave 5, Exploryer octave 8 20"
    Fender mandostrat 4,3 Epip mandobird 2,4/8, Kentucky. KM300E Eastwood mandocaster
    Gold Tone F6,Badaax doubleneck 8/6

Yes, I think temp changes are the biggest challenge. I would want to make sure I can carry on, so will confirm with airline. Thanks for taking the time to respond.

If this is your 25th Anniversary trip with your wife...leave it home.

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Al Trujillo For This Useful Post:

If you are vacationing alone, take it. It is/will be your beater/campfire mando and should survive just fine.

If you are going with spouse or family, maybe not. At least ask.
    If you play like I do it may not be much of a vacation for the others within earshot. If you're there playing Whiskey Before Breakfast for the 23,784 time in a cramped hotel room with the family, then no. My wife doesnt mind me bringing instruments on weekend trips but prefers that I go without on real vacations which are often expensive, hectic, cramped quarters and little diddle time anyway. Our real vacations are more of a death march to see everything than anything resembling on relaxation so just depends on your agenda. But its nicer traveling without having to compensate for fragile luggage and worry about instrument damage.
    No matter where I go, there I am...Unless I'm running a little late.

Blog Entries

I wouldn't leave home without at least a mandolin. Period. My biggest issue is whether or not to take the double bass.
    -- Don

"Music: A minor auditory irritation occasionally characterized as pleasant."
    "It is a lot more fun to make music than it is to argue about it."

2002 Gibson F-9
    2016 MK LFSTB
    1975 Suzuki taterbug (plus many other noisemakers)
    [About how I tune my mandolins]
    [Our recent arrival]

15. The following members say thank you to dhergert for this post:

Astro 

i took mine to Israel last summer for a month. No problem. I did loosen the strings of course, and made sure there was some humidity in the case. It went under the plane. And I imagine a million or so security checks.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve D View Post
    I am a new player, only 2 months in. I am practicing / playing everyday and am starting to build some finger strength. I am going on vacation to Isreal with my family for 3 weeks in July and can't bear the thought of being away from my mandolin for that long, partly for the joy of playing and partly to keep building strength. I have an Eastman MD305 which I am fond of, but at my beginner level I can't yet tell if it is a "keeper". My question is: Should I take the MD305 or look for a $100 used piece of junk to bring? I have a case I can carry on the plane, so I'm not worried about crushing it. But I am worried that changes in temperature and humidity and the strains of high altitude air travel will do damage. Thoughts?

I would take it along. I have traveled with both mandolins and banjos, no problems yet. Mandolins are so easy, even banjos are carryons. Do it! I got to join the mile high club a couple of years ago. The attendants asked me to pick a couple of tunes in the galley! How often does that happen. Safe travels.

I always take my Eastman 505 on trips around the US or Europe.
    I would use a lightweight hard or foam case, and not a gig bag,
    and try and get on early to have a good place for storage.
    On filled flights, folks will start to cram stuff without regard in the overhead bins.

Practice on the plane, get two, one for each pocket:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	0D023333-E6BE-4028-820C-E5AB7063D2A1.jpeg 
Views:	103 
Size:	287.4 KB 
ID:	177303

Before I did this I would make sure your wife was OK with it. If I brought a mandolin on a family vacation, I'd be in divorce court. That said, I sometimes bring my mandolin on business trips and I haven't noticed any issues. I've been able to fit it in the overhead bin

Quote Originally Posted by QCS View Post
    I would take it along. I have traveled with both mandolins and banjos, no problems yet. Mandolins are so easy, even banjos are carryons. Do it! I got to join the mile high club a couple of years ago. The attendants asked me to pick a couple of tunes in the galley! How often does that happen. Safe travels.
    I cannot imagine the panic that would occur if someone were to pull out a banjo mid-flight!

Mediocre but OK with that Paul Busman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Al Trujillo View Post
    If this is your 25th Anniversary trip with your wife...leave it home.
    Unless she's also a musician and you can play together. Playing music is popular in Israel so you might find some interesting people who can teach you some different types of music and/or jam.

If it were me, I'd get a cheapie Rogue and set it up to play better. That would teach you skills that you'll probably use down the road. It won't sound as good as your Eastman but it oughta do for three weeks. When you get home you can use it as a beater for camping, picnics,etc.
    For wooden musical fun that doesn't involve strumming, check out:
    www.busmanwhistles.com
    Handcrafted pennywhistles in exotic hardwoods.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by DaveGinNJ View Post
    I cannot imagine the panic that would occur if someone were to pull out a banjo mid-flight!
    I've done it many years ago. An old Gibby banjo uke. It provided some kicks on an otherwise dreary, but uneventful flight.
    -- Don

"Music: A minor auditory irritation occasionally characterized as pleasant."
    "It is a lot more fun to make music than it is to argue about it."

2002 Gibson F-9
    2016 MK LFSTB
    1975 Suzuki taterbug (plus many other noisemakers)
    [About how I tune my mandolins]
    [Our recent arrival]

two t's and one hyphen fatt-dad's Avatar

Don't do it! They're fragile!

f-d
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	340E85A8-9DA0-4698-A50C-43D0BA65C9A4.jpg 
Views:	105 
Size:	832.9 KB 
ID:	177304   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	at the beach.jpg 
Views:	103 
Size:	648.6 KB 
ID:	177305   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	117_1788.jpg 
Views:	112 
Size:	177.5 KB 
ID:	177306  

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	119 
Size:	196.7 KB 
ID:	177307   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	104_0434.jpg 
Views:	135 
Size:	119.5 KB 
ID:	177308   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	122 
Size:	100.3 KB 
ID:	177309  

Name:	380244_3509297087928_1136856803_3360021_1166340118_n.jpg 
Views:	105 
Size:	187.4 KB 
ID:	177310  
    ¡papá gordo ain’t no madre flaca!

'20 A3, '30 L-1, '97 914, 2012 Cohen A5, 2012 Muth A5, '14 OM28A

25. The following members say thank you to fatt-dad for this post:

Cobalt 

what you need is a good fiberglass case that does not break your bank roll. I would go to Elderly's web site & see what they have for around lets say $150.00. an then I would add some extra straps to it and carry it on board with you.

Take it! There are recent threads on this site that pretty definitively answered the question of whether you can carry your mando on. The answer is yes. In fact several posters said that for some airlines they require instruments to be carried on — perhaps to limit their own liability from baggage handling. A fair number of posters have even put them under their seat (yes, they stick out, but no one cared). I just started flying for work nearly every week and I put my mando in the overhead bin with no problems. I play in my hotel most nights — a mandolin can be played pretty softly (less annoying noise for neighbors than playing the TV!) Touring musicians routinely take their mandolins on planes I would imagine...if it were damaging their instruments I doubt they would do it. Perhaps a few might weigh in. Save the $100 you’d play on a beater — put it in your MAS fund to get your next mando (the one that will make your MD 305 your beater!)

Take it!
    Don't worry about it!
    Enjoy it fully!
    Life is short!
    Don't buy a cheaper one, save that for a better one. Play the best you can afford-take it everywhere!
    Life is short!

29. The following members say thank you to darylcrisp for this post: