Thread: String slot size in mandolin nut

Default String slot size in mandolin nut

How much larger than the string size should the string slots be in the nut of a mandolin?

Default Re: String slot size in mandolin nut

My strings are med/heavy gauge .0115 - .016 - .026 - .041.

A few thousandths bigger is good. It usually comes down to what size nut files we have. We can "roll" files for a slightly wider slot, but we can't cut a narrower slot with a wide file.

Since they should sit only 1/3 of the string in the nut the size of the largest string you are going to use. If they sit down in, I file the bottom where the string sits for the gauge, and use a much larger file to open up the slot so the sides don't touch. For someone who wants to keep costs down it's an easy way to make the string not bind and not do a lot of work to the nut.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

I generally go two or three thousandths larger than the intended string but you can get away with more. The string is going to seat itself ever so slightly deeper over time and create its own seat if you're using bone or corian. Some modern electrics employ a tuning key configuration with the tuner posts in-line with the nut slots similar to Fender electric guitars and I find that cutting the slot to a closer width of the string is more important to yield a clear open string tone. I've seen quite a few nuts on stringed instruments that look like the slots were cut with a hacksaw blade yet they functioned perfectly. Although tempted, I don't fix things that aren't broke. However, I believe that setting up a nut properly is a tech's number one opportunity to please the client with a noticeable result. I use a .013 file for a .010 string and a .050 file for a .046 string.

Thanks for the great info! You folks are pretty sharp!