Thread: Source for single Thomastik strings?

Default Source for single Thomastik strings?

I need a replacement A string for the heavy gauge Thomastik mandolin set.Any ideas where I can buy one?

TIA, Dave McCarty

Default Re: Source for single Thomastik strings?

I got some from JustStrings or Strings and Beyond at one point. Never again since the price for a set of A strings was about half the price of a full set. I'm not aware of a source for single Thomastik mandolin strings.

Looks like you can get a pair of them on Amazon with free shipping: https://www.amazon.com/Thomastik-Inf...y&sr=8-2-fkmr2

Quote Originally Posted by mcgroup53 View Post
    I need a replacement A string for the heavy gauge Thomastik mandolin set.Any ideas where I can buy one?

TIA, Dave McCarty
    I sure do>
    the US distributor. Connolly Music
    theyre in NYC.

I contacted them about a year back, after having two different strings break on new sets of starks.
    an A and a D on starks. two different sets.

Connolly were superb and helpful.

they sent them gratis, and, asked for the old string to examine as to why it broke.

FWIW, I used to swear by TI mittels and used them exlusively for about five years, playing BG, on my F5. They WERE super long lasting under hard play, many hours, daily. super stable tuning, fast and silent, micd sound just about like a Phosphor bronze.

I changed to stark for an addy topped F I own, to drive the top more.
    I don't know if the issue is starks , or, QC. I cant imagine my playing has changed to the point of causing this breakage.

My 3 recent sets have all suffered breakage. Different strings. All very shortly after installation, like a week or two. Way too pricey for this type of problem. Those wound strings are unique in gauge and feel, and imho, only TI replacements will do. (having cobbled some in a pinch , using other brands doesn't really work)

While the distributor has been amazing, I wont push my luck. At some point, regardless of QC, if this breakage continues, I am sure eventually I'll end up with a $45 dollar incomplete set, viewed as some sort of problem child.

IMHO, and only speculative, something has changed. I must have had 8-9 sets problem free. Sets would last me 7-9 months. No breakage, just badly dented. Still slick, stable and working.

Then, nothing but issues.

I don't mind spending the $$ for long lasting, soft, fast, stable strings, but, no way for sets that break.

I no longer buy them.

anyone have this same experience in recent times?
    Last edited by stevedenver; Jul-07-2019 at 1:33pm.

Quote Originally Posted by stevedenver View Post
    I sure do>
    theyre in NYC.

I contacted them about a year back, after having two different strings break on new sets of starks.

they sent them gratis, and, asked for the old string to examine as to why it broke.

FWIW, I used to swear by TI mittels and used them exlusively for about five years, playing BG, on my F5. They WERE super long lasting under hard play, many hours, daily. super stable tuning, fast and silent, micd sound just about like a Phosphor bronze.

I don't know if the issue is starks , or, QC. I cant imagine my playing has changed to the point of causing this breakage.

My 3 recent sets have all suffered breakage. Different strings. All very shortly after installation, like a week or two. Way too pricey for this type of problem. Those wound strings are unique in gauge and feel, and imho, only TI replacements will do. (having cobbled some in a pinch , using other brands doesn't really work)

While the distributor has been amazing, I wont push my luck. At some point, regardless of QC, if this breakage continues, I am sure eventually I'll end up with a $45 dollar incomplete set, viewed as some sort of problem child.

IMHO, and only speculative, something has changed. I must have had 8-9 sets problem free. Sets would last me 7-9 months. No breakage, just badly dented. Still slick, stable and working.

I don't mind spending the $$ for long lasting, soft, fast, stable strings, but, no way for sets that break.

I no longer buy them.

Hi,

I've used the mediums for years, but recently tried the heavies for the first time. No issues during the first month.

Regards

Quote Originally Posted by stevedenver View Post
    I sure do>
    theyre in NYC.

I no longer buy them.

I have had starks on my Oldwave A for several months now with no issues and I am picking pretty hard. I want to see how long they last while I hammer on them and also work out the dynamics of pick strength as it relates to tone and volume. I bought another set to have as a back up just in case.
    My avatar is of my OldWave Oval A

Creativity is just doing something wierd and finding out others like it.

I often order Thomastiks from Schneidermusik in Germany. They have Thomastik sets and single strings and the prices are cheaper than in the US.
    I don't know what the shipping rates are to the US, as I order to Israel.
    Here are the A Stark strings. A pair costs 11 Euros.
    https://schneidermusik.de/shop1/prod...oducts_id/1583

8. The following members say thank you to Sevelos for this post:

Wow those prices in euros are the dollar equivalent in price. No savings imho.

Blog Entries

Fwiw, TI strings are extremely popular in the double bass world. I've read nothing about a shift in QC.

How much tension difference is there between a mandolin TI mittle A and a TI stark A?

A bit. The starks feel like jt 75s.

The mittels are very slinky, softer, but drive the top far less.