Thread: Northfield 4th Gen F5 reviews?

Default Northfield 4th Gen F5 reviews?

I saw some glowing reviews from folks at the winter NAMM. Now that at least a couple of the mandolins have hit stores (Morgan Music and Elderly), are there any hands-on reviews out there?
    Doug Brock
    2018 Kimble 2 point (#259), Eastman MD315, Eastman MDA315, some guitars, banjos, and fiddles

Default Re: Northfield 4th Gen F5 reviews?

I spoke with Jordan today at The Music Emporium where they just got one in. (Not yet posted on their site) Jordan is TME's "mandolin guy" and he's always been very helpful and frank with me. He told me the 4.0 they have received is the best Northfield mandolin he's played... hands down... as in that much better than anything they've yet produced including their Artist Series. Now considering how superb most Northfields are (regardless of the model or price point) that's really saying something... just sayin'...

3. The following members say thank you to Glassweb for this post:

I just got back from TME and had a chance to spend some time with their new Northfield Gen 4 F5 that they just received and I have to say I was very impressed by both the tone and level of finish. Very strong and sweet throughout the neck with what I would describe as having a nice trade-off between a traditional mid-range tone and some of the complexity of a more modern voiced instrument. There’s a tonal character I haven’t heard in other Northfield instruments. When this thing gets played in it will be a beast. The wood that was used on this one doesn’t have a lot of figure but then again neither do some Loars but it sure does sound good!

5. The following members say thank you to Gary Alter for this post:

Registered User stringsattached's Avatar

No Northfield dealers or retail in Canada ����
    ==================
    Ken

Eastman Fan

I hope to hear more about the 4.0 generation models as well. Maybe we will have some reports/owner feedback roll in over the next little bit of time! Didn't Northfield go to a festival/gathering this week to show several models?

I am headed to the Marshal Mandolin Summit in August and plan on ordering a custom 4.0. I am told they will have a couple 4.0's there to try out. I've had a F5V1E for several months now and can't put it down so I am excited to see what the 4.0s are like. It will have to wait until after the Summit, but I will post a review then.

Peace
    ========================
    2012 Gibson F5 Master Model
    2019 Northfield F5 Artist 5 Bar
    2019 Northfield Arched Octave Maple
    2020 Northfield F5 4.0

9. The following members say thank you to Todd Bowman for this post:

tbown...that would be a fine pair to own, no doubt. I will look forward to your "review". Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Old Growth View Post
    I hope to hear more about the 4.0 generation models as well. Maybe we will have some reports/owner feedback roll in over the next little bit of time! Didn't Northfield go to a festival/gathering this week to show several models?
    They are in Asheville at Mandolin/Banjo week.
    "your posts ... very VERY opinionated ...basing your opinion/recommendations ... pot calling ...kettle... black...sarcasm...comment ...unwarranted...unnecessary...."

Northfield has had a display this week at the Swannanoa Gathering, including one of their new generation 4 F5s. I’ve had a couple of opportunities to sit down with it and pick a few tunes and it is indeed a very fine mandolin. They also have a 5 bar Artist series with an Italian top that is seriously nice as well.

Registered User stringsattached's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by stringsattached View Post
    No Northfield dealers or retail in Canada ����
    Actually I’m pretty sure ( After searching a bit) Folkway Music in Waterloo Ontario might be able to get Northfields.
    They have a used one on their site .
    ==================
    Ken

Eastman Fan

Hey Gary...I have a good amount of experience with the 5 bar Artist Series. I'm curious how you would compare that model with your time playing the new 4.0 model. Would you mind sharing your thoughts on those two models? Thank you, Sir.

Quote Originally Posted by Old Growth View Post
    Hey Gary...I have a good amount of experience with the 5 bar Artist Series. I'm curious how you would compare that model with your time playing the new 4.0 model. Would you mind sharing your thoughts on those two models? Thank you, Sir.
    Old Growth the 5 bar Artist had an Italian spruce top and the Gen 4 is red spruce so there was more than one variable to compare. To my ear the 5 bar was very sweet, complex and resonant, lots of overtones. I would think it would be a great mandolin for fiddle tunes, Celtic and classical. The Gen 4 has stronger fundamentals, more traditional mid-range tone but still had a very sweet and full tone. Both are really nice mandolins but with slightly different tonal responses. As I mentioned in an earlier post I also played a Gen 4 at TME and it was a little more on the traditional side compared to the one that’s here at the Swannanoa Gathering.

I also played the three F5s Northfield brought to Swannanoa. All 3 very different mandolins which was surprising. The Big Mon was very stout and would hold it's own against a Red Diamond I played there as well. It was a fantastic deal with a little cosmetic discount due to some careless shipping on a return.
    The 5 bar was a very nice mandolin as well with extremely strong A and E strings.
    The 4th gen was definitely the most balanced sound to my ear and as Gary said more on the traditional mid-range than the other two.
    I would love to own all 3!

My favorite of the week was the Flat Top Octave which I really wanted to bring home, but it got sold right before I pulled the trigger! I will likely order one soon. Such a sweet instrument with so much sustain and just a breeze to play with and try new ideas.
    The arch top octave was very nice as well with more of a mando-like growl especially on the lower end.

I probably spent a total of 3 hours with Adrian one on one throughout the week since I did not have a first period class. It was an extremely enlightening week of conversation about how things with their company work, how the partnership with China works, etc. I came away with a totally different point of view of Northfield. I am excited about owning one of their instruments in the hopefully near future (though not excited enough to also buy a new mando quite yet, ONLY for money limitations lol).

Back to these mandos, I think if you get a 4th gen you will not be dis pointed, but I would recommend playing the Big Mon and 5 bar as well if you can first just in case one of the others speaks to what you want.
    Drew
    2020 Northfield 4th Gen F5
    2022 Northfield NFS-F5E
    2019 Northfield Flat Top Octave
    2021 Gold Tone Mando Cello
    https://www.instagram.com/pilotdrew85

17. The following members say thank you to Drew Egerton for this post:

I have a Northfield flattop octave. I love it.

19. The following members say thank you to Mandobar for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Mandobar View Post
    I have a Northfield flattop octave. I love it.
    I've got a slow burning case of O-MAS for one of the Northfield archtop octaves.

Quote Originally Posted by JoeD View Post
    I've got a slow burning case of O-MAS for one of the Northfield archtop octaves.
    I have one of their arch top octaves and after 10 months I still feel that same desire to want to go play it. It’s pretty awesome to have on the wall ready to go. There is a sweetness and a rumble just not available in mandolin range. Very satisfying instrument. It makes me want to take a hard look at the 4th-gen, but that price point has me a bit hesitant. Considering that range some other major builders are within reach. I never drank the “F-style is best” Kool-Aid either. Such a great time of mandolin luthiery to be alive!
    I should be pickin' rather than postin'

That "rumble" is the best way I could describe the difference between the flat top and arch top. I loved them both but I figured for the kind of things I was going to wind up doing with it, the flat top suited it best. (Slow and pretty more than driving rumble I guess).

If you have ever played an instrument in the price range of the 4th gen, you know it's basically down to personal taste of whether you will like it versus another one in the same range, but I will say as far as quality of sound and aesthetics, it is very well priced. I can also say if you talk to Adrian for an hour about all they do around the world to make that instrument happen, it's a reasonable price.
    Drew
    2020 Northfield 4th Gen F5
    2022 Northfield NFS-F5E
    2019 Northfield Flat Top Octave
    2021 Gold Tone Mando Cello
    https://www.instagram.com/pilotdrew85

Right on. I stumbled into a Pono Octave in a trade about a year ago, and it's just a wonderful new voice. I love the looks of the Northfield archtop, but candidly I'm perfectly happy with the Pono for tone. I wouldn't mind a shorter scale length, but it's fine for the amount I play it. If I had that kind of cash laying around, I'd probably be looking to upgrade my mandolin instead.