Thread: new york pro?

Seen 1 for sale on ebay. the mandolin looks decent but i know nothing about them. anybody have any information?

Barrs Fiddle shop in Galax, Va sales these mandolins. I've seen them up ther, didn't play one but had a guy outside the shop playing one.

It reminded me a lot of the Johnson line of mandolins. I wouldn't put too much money in one.

Blog Entries

I tried one once. Ick.
    Jason Anderson

"...while a great mandolin is a wonderful treat, I would venture to say that there is always more each of us can do with the tools we have available at hand. The biggest limiting factors belong to us not the instruments." Paul Glasse

Stumbling Towards Competence

I normally don't give negative views here but I too tried one at a local music shop and I would advise to look at some other options.

There is only a few hrs. left on the auction and no-one has even placed a bid. thanks for the feedback, my wife would probably have divorced me if i bought another mandolin anyway.

It's just one of dozens of brand names slapped on cheap import mandolins. These instruments have nothing particular to do with New York. Or professionalism.
    Emando.com: More than you wanted to know about electric mandolins.

Notorious: My Celtic CD--listen & buy!

Lyon & Healy • Wood • Thormahlen • Andersen • Bacorn • Yanuziello • Fender • National • Gibson • Franke • Fuchs • Aceto • Three Hungry Pit Bulls

Blog Entries

I should refine my comment. I think that the Lonestar is a fine mandolin in the less than $100 range. But the NY Pro...is more toy than mandolin. Sounds like one, feels like one. And it hurts to fret! Run, don't walk, away from your eBay account.
    Jason Anderson

"...while a great mandolin is a wonderful treat, I would venture to say that there is always more each of us can do with the tools we have available at hand. The biggest limiting factors belong to us not the instruments." Paul Glasse

Stumbling Towards Competence

Jasona:

I agree that the Lonestar is a decent instrument for the price. The Lonestar Roma has a deeper body than most A's giving it a nice mellow tone. It is typical of an oval hole in that it does provide a fuller sound but lacks in loudness. The workmanship is good and it makes a good starter. Definitely better than the eBay cheapo I bought for around the same price.

I never tried a New York Pro but would have no problems recommending a Lonestar.
    Glenn Nelson
    Las Vegas, NV

"Every day brings a chance for you to draw in a breath, kick off your shoes and play your mandolin."

mando-evangelist August Watters's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I played one too. "Ick" say it all. And like everyone else here, I have a Lone Star, which is a good beginner instrument.
    Exploring Classical Mandolin (Berklee Press, 2015)
    Progressive Melodies for Mandocello (KDP, 2019) (2nd ed. 2022)
    New Solos for Classical Mandolin (Hal Leonard Press, 2020)
    2021 guest artist, mandocello: Classical Mandolin Society of America

My buddy owns a shop and I've noticed he has about 15 New York Pro guitars now for sale. He doesn't have a music shop but more of Indian Curio, Biker accessories, knives etc.

I asked him when did he go into the musical instrument business he said that he isn't but in one of his dealer catalogs he saw them and they were so cheap that he couldn't pass them up.

He is selling them for $100.00 a guitar!

I picked one up and gave it a strum..... then I silently put it back down and didn't say a word... #