Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Has it been ten years already?

Oh, I just noticed this thread. Unfortunately I missed the inauguration of the Jerry Garcia Amphitheater this past weekend over in the Excelsior District in San Francisco...this all makes me remember the Garcia memorial event in Golden Gate Park.

At the May Phil Lesh & Friends concert at the Warfield in SF (5/13/05) they had a great beautiful photo of Jerry in the lobby, set up like a shrine surrounded by roses, amid all the classic concert posters on the walls. He has the most hilarious grin in the picture. The Warfield is so great ... lots of great events there in the 1980s and 1980s.

The Dead and Garcia in particular were such a great contribution to the musical culture. !

OLD AND IN THE WAY IS SAID TO BE THE BEST SELLING BLUEGRASS ALBUM OF ALL TIME!

plus the remaster job sounds great, better then most live recordings from that day (in my opinion of coarse)

PS: EVEN MY 80 YEAR OLD GRANDMOTHER CALLED ME ON THAT FATEFUL DAY 10 YEARS AGO
    home in time for supper with some tales to tell

There was nothing like a Jerry show at the Warfield.

September 24th at the Greek Theater in Berkeley is "Comes a Time - a Celebration of the Life and Music of Jerry Garcia." All the remaining memers of the Dead (except Phil)will be joined by members of String Cheese, Trey Anastacio, Bruce Hornsby, Warren Haynes, David Nelson, Sandy Rothman, and a bunch of others. It's a benefit for the Rex Foundation. My mail order is in! #

Wayne
    Smile Anyway

Quote Originally Posted by (maynard g. krebs @ Aug. 12 2005, 14:43)
    OLD AND IN THE WAY IS SAID TO BE THE BEST SELLING BLUEGRASS ALBUM OF ALL TIME!
    I've always heard that as well, supposedly double platinum - though I'm having trouble tracking down an actual reference. Now that a couple of Alison Krauss albums have gone double platinum, it may not be the case anymore.

Actually, if the "O Brother" soundtrack is considered bluegrass, that would definitely take the prize - 7 times platinum.

Just so any interested persons are aware, the special concert in memory of Jerry Garcia to be held in Berkeley - in the beautiful Greek Theater on the UC Berkeley campus - on September 24th is a Rex Foundation benefit concert.

The general admission tickets are on sale through ticketmaster.com at 10 am PDT on Sunday August 14th!

If you go to ticketmaster.com, search on the event name "Comes a Time".

Hope to see some of you folks there.

American Beauty has been in my CD player all week.

berkeleymando, I've also got tickets from ticketmaster so I'm definitely going even if my mail order doesn't come through. I'm hoping that with Nelson and Rothman on the bill we'll hear some acoustic Jerry, maybe with Kang on the mando. That would be so nice.

Wayne
    Smile Anyway

Just got two tickets this morning when they went on sale. The whole thing looks like a special all star line up - all the remaining dead folks (minus Phil), the back up singers from the J Garcia Band, the String Cheese guys, Donna Jean Godchaux etc. I'm walking distance from this show, which is great. The Greek is my favorite bay area outdoor venue...
    I heard a rumor about some mid-October bay area Phil lesh and Friends shows.

Oh yeah, and Melvin Seals is a great keyboardist! I recall many fine evenings of him performing as part of the Jerry Garcia Band.

Interestingly, Jackie la Branch and the other lady (whose name I can't recall right now - some one remind me please) who sang with the Garcia Band, are now taking really great 'lead' vocal roles in the some of the recent PL & F shows. It is great to hear them tear up the old Pigpen tunes, like "Mr Charlie".

Did someone say "pig pen'? Years ago, and a different time....
    PeacE
    Brian

I saw a Lyle Lovett concert two or three days after Jerry died. He opened the show with a slow version of "Friend of the Devil". It makes a great ballad.
    You can't see your future in a rear view mirror.

Quote Originally Posted by (bjc @ Aug. 14 2005, 17:18)
    Did someone say "pig pen'? Years ago, and a different time....
    Yes, this Pigpen!

Nice pic. Post more!!!!

Just to give due credit, these pics are linked to directly off the dead's web site at the following URL about Dick's Picks #35:

http://www.dead.net/merchandising/mu...289/index.html

That could be the back of my head in that pic...

Looks like 8/6/71 at the Hollywood Palladium....

It was also one of the first times I ever saw a bluegrass band....
    High Country with Butch Waller on mandolin opened, along with the Rowen Bros. and NRPS...

Gawd I'm old....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	8671.jpg 
Views:	122 
Size:	66.6 KB 
ID:	10205  

Spruce, if you were at that show, you were one lucky fella. I love the reel-to-reel tape there. I've got boxes and boxes of Dead soundboard tapes on cassettes I collected in the early 1980s after I met an old deadhead who let me copy many of his tapes. I've been meaning to copy them onto digital formats, but now most of it is becoming available for free (yes FREE) download on archive.org .

In fact there was even a National Public Radio segment last week titled something like "Finding Jerry Garcia's legacy online" in which they directed people to the archive.org web site. Check it out.

"Spruce, if you were at that show, you were one lucky fella. I love the reel-to-reel tape there. "

We recorded it using a Sony 770 stereo reel-to-reel machine, and to this date it remains one of my favorite recordings, with great stereo imaging, etc.
    Holding the mic was a PITA, however...

Ironically, the soundboards of those two nights (with the exception of the snippet they just released) are apparently lost, having gone to Keith Godchaux to learn the tunes....

It was a pretty magical evening, partly due to the apple pie I naively downed backstage... #

Quote Originally Posted by (Spruce @ Aug. 18 2005, 12:45)
    "Spruce, if you were at that show, you were one lucky fella. I love the reel-to-reel tape there. "

We recorded it using a Sony 770 stereo reel-to-reel machine, and to this date it remains one of my favorite recordings, with great stereo imaging, etc.
    Holding the mic was a PITA, however...
    Hey Spruce, check out this (downloadable) complete audience recording of that evening, made by someone else in the audience with a Sony 770 reel-to-reel recorder - named Rob Bertrando. Know him?

http://www.archive.org/audio/etree-d...b.php?id=14856

Yep....

Here's the whole story....

Great story Bruce.

GVD
    GVD

I've heard this show. good stuff. GREAT to hear the background story! thanks spruce!
    Phyn

jerry was a real loss. i still miss him, but have him to thank for getting me into bluegrass and so much more. with vassar's passing this week i realized we've only got dawg and pete rowan left from OAITW. been listening to a lot of those oldies lately.
    Proud owner of:

Bill Davis F5 #10502
    Martin 000-M

when i'm not listening to mandolins i'm almost certaintly listening to the dead, i didn't realize that there were alot of dead fans pickin a mando, pretty cool! archive.org does have any concert you could wish for free for downloading it's great! i was suprised to find out that many of you were inspired to play mandolin from the garcia grisman recordings because i learned how to play mandolin from listening to the pizza tapes! i also got in to playing alot of acoustic dead on the mando, and was suprised how good it sounds, do any of you play dead in your sets? btw i'm pretty sure garcia could play mando, he did play fiddle a bit back in his grass days.
    just keep truckin'