Thread: Broken Headstock Curl

Default Broken Headstock Curl

I opened the case to take my Mandolin to a gig this afternoon (Wed) and noticed a crack at the big curl on the headstock. I know this happens often. I played it Monday night at a gig wiped it down put it in the case and there was no crack, today there is. The question is two fold. How can this halogen? I did not drop it or bump it either in our out of the case.
    Part two is should I wait for the piece to come apart (if it ever does) or try to get it repaired now. I’m not sure who can do this repair.

Default Re: Broken Headstock Curl

Frankly, a mandolin can't go into the case with a fully intact scroll and come out broken unless there is a blow to the case, the case is dropped or something like that. Things like that just don't break on their own lying peacefully in the case.
    Get it fixed as soon as you can. The repair will be easier and the results will be better if it is done sooner rather than later. Hopefully someone near you will see this thread and recommend someone in the area for the repair.

I did not think it would just break, but I don’t recall any drops or hard knocks.Thans John. There are a couple of guitar repair luthiers.

Could have happened in the car... do you have dogs and/or kids? (Can always blame them, after all...)

The only good thing, if there is any good thing about this, is that you're in good company. It even happened to Bill Monroe.
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

Yes, I’ve seen those pictures of Bill’s but Charley D. put a new headstock overlay. I did it somehow not Kids to blame or dogs, cats or turtles either.

I never gigged but I loaded in and out and set up and tore down for a couple groups. I can’t count the number of times a band member would knock around another members cases and just shrug it off like it never happened. My gear is never out of my sight when I am outside my house.
    My avatar is of my OldWave Oval A

Creativity is just doing something wierd and finding out others like it.