Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Mandolins for 6k and under?

Default Re: Mandolins for 6k and under?

Quote Originally Posted by grandcanyonminstrel View Post
    I spoke with Olin a few weeks ago about an F5 that had been dropped and the top broke in half (not by me!!!). He no longer builds mandolins; he now owns and runs a commercial hemp farm....

As for the original post: let your ears and hands and heart guide you with a $6000 purchase, not a bunch of internet ######'s advice!
    I know that I'm one who chimed in with my own subjective advice and suggestions but the last line in the included post from grandcanyonminstrel is the best advice in this thread.
    Mike

Those who think they should think, like they think others think they should think, need to think out their thinking, I think.

No envejecemos, maduramos. -Pablo Picasso

2. The following members say thank you to wildpikr for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Yellowhouseroad View Post
    I am curious what do people think of the Flatiron F5 Artist? There’s one up for sale thats a beaut, it hits most of the things on my list I believe and as an added bonus it’s X-braced which so far from what I’ve heard, I do like the tone (I’m a Ronnie McCoury fan). How does flatiron stack up tone wise?
    Not sure what year you are talking about, but I had a '91 F5 Artist signed by Bruce Weber and wish I had never sold it. I was the second owner, played if for 10+ years. The guy that purchased it from me bought it to be a back-up mandolin. When he got it and played it, I am told that his primary mandoline became his back-up and the Artist became his primary.

As far as tone goes, the one I had was great for bluegrass, big chop, loud, bell-like up and consistent up and down the neck.
    ========================
    2012 Gibson F5 Master Model
    2019 Northfield F5 Artist 5 Bar
    2019 Northfield Arched Octave Maple
    2020 Northfield F5 4.0

Quote Originally Posted by tbown View Post
    Not sure what year you are talking about, but I had a '91 F5 Artist signed by Bruce Weber and wish I had never sold it. I was the second owner, played if for 10+ years. The guy that purchased it from me bought it to be a back-up mandolin. When he got it and played it, I am told that his primary mandoline became his back-up and the Artist became his primary.

As far as tone goes, the one I had was great for bluegrass, big chop, loud, bell-like up and consistent up and down the neck.
    The one I’m looking at is a 87 on reverb. I’ve heard a lot of good things about it and it would be cool to playing something that not everyone else is using.

This thread might just go on long enough that every conceivable brand will be mentioned, because someone has thought their mandolin was worth buying, and there are no bad $6000 mandolins. I don't see how anyone would spend that kind of money without trying the mandolin in question, especially if neck feel is the overriding factor. Yes, there are many great looking mandolins at Carters, but for me it would be useless unless I was willing to go there.

Just don't settle for something just as good as what you really want. If the Gibson sound is what you want, buy a Gibson. If you want an F, buy an F. If you want full binding and fern inlay, get it. And if that special mandolin costs $7000, spend that. In six months it will never cross your mind, but if you wanted gloss and bought satin, it will bug you every day.

I remember going to TMS and playing an F9 and thinking if that chop was what I wanted, no non Gibson in the store had it.
    Silverangel A
    Arches F style kit
    1913 Gibson A-1

The one I’m looking at is a 87 on reverb. I’ve heard a lot of good things about it and it would be cool to playing something that not everyone else is using.
    That '87 on reverb looks like it is in great shape for a 32-year-old mandolin!
    ========================
    2012 Gibson F5 Master Model
    2019 Northfield F5 Artist 5 Bar
    2019 Northfield Arched Octave Maple
    2020 Northfield F5 4.0

Blog Entries

Just a crazy philosophical note about a budget. In business, especially in a large company, we commonly spend the whole budget, on the grounds that if we consistently came in under the big bosses would notice and say our department doesn't need that much money, lets cut it.

Out here in the real world, what you are saying by a 6K budget is that you don't want to go over. But I see no reason you might not find something for 3 or 4K that would be just what you are looking for, and save some money in the budget for other fun things, a fancy case, who knows what.

The difference 3K instruments and 10K instruments is significant. But the difference between 3K and 6K, perhaps not so much, and getting what you want is the goal, not spending the budget. Its like the red line on an automobile speedometer, it doesn't mean "drive 10% under this".
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

8. The following members say thank you to JeffD for this post:

Those Flatirons can be great mandolins.

At your budget, you have many choices my friend. It all depends on the sound you want and the type of music you will mostly be playing, I believe.
    I have 2 Northfields (an F5S blonde and a 5 bar Artist series) and am very pleased and satisfied. I also have a Pava A and it's a beauty in looks and sound.
    Happy hunting. Once you buy something, play it and play it and step away from the disease known as MAS. It's not about what you own but how you feel and do playing it. My two cents. Good luck.

Southeast Vermont - take your pick of snow or ticks

I am curious what do people think of the Flatiron F5 Artist? There’s one up for sale thats a beaut, it hits most of the things on my list I believe and as an added bonus it’s X-braced which so far from what I’ve heard, I do like the tone (I’m a Ronnie McCoury fan). How does flatiron stack up tone wise?
    Ive got an ‘87 Flatiron F5 Artist and it is just a great mandolin. Sounds and plays great. I’m not in love with the heel cap instead of the back carved to the bottom of the heel, and the finish color doesn’t please me p, a little yellowish, but the mandolin is too good to let the cosmetics get in the way.

A USED Northfield Big Mon will be a whole lot of mandolin and very much within your budget.

You have a much better selection in the cities then I do in Sioux Falls. I come up for work in the cities monthly but never have I visited a music shop. And when I bought my oval A it wasn’t my area. For that reason like you, I asked around for opinions but in the end you either need to find one locally you can play or take that leap of faith. Ironically enough my best instruments have all been bought on my gut feelings. With 6k wether I went with a used or off the shelf or a custom would depend on my time frame. I love my Old Wave oval A. I have no idea what his F style sound like but am seriously drawn to a Pava. So basically I posted but probably didn’t help you at all sorry. Good Luck it will be interesting what you wind up with!

Do you have a time frame you have to work on because if you do that may rule out a custom build, but the excitement and ability to pick woods and design features really is a whole different level of excitement.
    My avatar is of my OldWave Oval A

Creativity is just doing something wierd and finding out others like it.

14. The following members say thank you to John Bertotti for this post:

I just stopped playing out with my Collings after a near-disaster. I swore she wouldn't be a case queen. She isn't... well, not entirely.

Here's the thing - now I'm playing a 40 year old recently re-fretted Ibanez. And I don't notice a difference during the show. I'm preoccupied with other things.

Furthermore, even though our sound system is respectable (QSC K10s, Yamaha mixer, very good mics)... it sure doesn't expose the quality (or lack thereof) of the mandolin.

Oh... and I don't have to constantly look over my shoulder or make sure my mando is strapped to me.

In short, you're introducing a host of issues for no real substantive sonic improvement. Now if playability is the driving issue, that's a different discussion.
    ---
    Cheap Craigslist Guitar | Mandolin Made of Wood | Upright Bass with Strings

16. The following members say thank you to Brian Harris for this post:

You bring up a valid point regarding performance. Like picking the mandolin that suits you is subjective, so is your tolerance for risk, be it theft or damage. If I were playing out a bunch, I'd buy a well loved old mandolin that would be devalued for cosmetic reasons. That is just how I roll. My two favorite guitars were giging instruments for decades, used but not abused.

And remember that the tone in your living room might not be the one you want for your gig. And it is oh so true, your audience doesn't know or care, unless for some reason you are playing for mandolinists. Then you are screwed.
    Silverangel A
    Arches F style kit
    1913 Gibson A-1