Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Gibson A Oval Tuning Machines

Blog Entries

Default Re: Gibson A Oval Tuning Machines

Russ, Thank you very much for the descriptive "tour" and photos. You did a great job and it adds to my faith that these will work well on at least one of my mandolins with this need. Best to you!
    2014 BRW F5 #114
    2022 Kentucky KM 950 Master Model

YouTube Original Recording of My composition "Closer Walk"

2. The following members say thank you to lflngpicker for this post:

You're welcome, Life-Long!
    It's been a few days now and the tuners are indeed doing a better job of holding the strings to pitch. Well worth the expense and completely reversable should I ever desire to have a "pure" A1 again.
    Make America Grateful Again!

2013 Collings MF, 2017 Northfield NF2S, 2019 Northfield Big Mon F
    1968 Martin D12-20, 2008 Martin HD28, 2022 Martin CEO 7
    1978 Ibanez Artist "Flying Eagle" Masterclone Banjo

4. The following members say thank you to Russ Donahue for this post:

Blog Entries

This is an important and necessary improvement for one of the best sounding and most dependable mandolins ever made! Thanks again, Russ!
    2014 BRW F5 #114

6. The following members say thank you to lflngpicker for this post:

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Russ Donahue View Post
    You're welcome, Life-Long!
    It's been a few days now and the tuners are indeed doing a better job of holding the strings to pitch. Well worth the expense and completely reversable should I ever desire to have a "pure" A1 again.
    Hi Russ and All, I took a while to get back to this project. I did buy the Golden Age tuners from Stew-Mac and they fit perfectly on the best playing and sounding of the two mandolins. My 1912 is the one that had the larger bushings and had been in the Gibson shop and had a Gibson decal added presumably in the 50's? They would definitely fit my 1913 as well, but this mystery 1912 A4 paddle head matched up perfectly. The dropped right in, and even the old screw holes were in the same exact location! I can't believe how smoothly they turn and hold pitch. Compared to the old ones it is a 100% improvement in function and comparable quality to any stock tuners I have had on a US made mandolin. They are an inexpensive way ($57 plus tax) to really improve a 110 year old instrument. They look great too! The cream buttons look like the aged ones. I saved a bit and bought the bright nickel and I like the way they look. Anyway, I wanted to follow up and let you know how pleased I am with these Golden Age tuners. Dan
    Last edited by lflngpicker; May-09-2020 at 6:09pm. Reason: Golden Age Tuners, Stew Mac, Gibson A4, Tuning Machines
    2014 BRW F5 #114

8. The following members say thank you to lflngpicker for this post:

My 1928 A0 is need of a new set of tuners and after reading the helpful advice here I have some questions.
    My plates have 5 screws and measure 2 3/4" between posts 1 and 4.
    Do I have the 'old' (and the Golden Age tuners will fit)?
    Or do I have the 'new' and try to source some from elsewhere?
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	headstock reverse.JPG 
Views:	93 
Size:	558.6 KB 
ID:	191348Click image for larger version. 

Name:	headstock front.JPG 
Views:	69 
Size:	544.7 KB 
ID:	191349

10. The following members say thank you to Phil O'Dendron for this post:

I’d suggest that you look at everything but the Golden Age “Restoration” tuners. Those are made for mandolins made before circa. 1924.

The give away is that tuners with worms over (like yours) are after the change and worm under are before.

12. The following members say thank you to Ray(T) for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Phil O'Dendron View Post
    My 1928 A0 is need of a new set of tuners and after reading the helpful advice here I have some questions.
    My plates have 5 screws and measure 2 3/4" between posts 1 and 4.
    Do I have the 'old' (and the Golden Age tuners will fit)?
    Or do I have the 'new' and try to source some from elsewhere?
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	headstock reverse.JPG 
Views:	93 
Size:	558.6 KB 
ID:	191348Click image for larger version. 

Name:	headstock front.JPG 
Views:	69 
Size:	544.7 KB 
ID:	191349
    You have the "new" and as Ray states, any tuners, EXCEPT the Restoration would work. For both my A Jr. and Kalamazoo (made by Gibson) I use these - https://www.stewmac.com/parts-and-ha...in-tuners.html
    Brentrup Model 23, Boeh A5 #37, Gibson A Jr., Big Muddy M-11, Coombe Classical flattop, Strad-O-Lin
    https://www.facebook.com/LauluAika/
    https://www.lauluaika.com/
    https://www.facebook.com/Longtine-Am...14404553312723

14. The following members say thank you to Eric Platt for this post:

Teacher, repair person

Phil, if you have any lingering doubts, go to Ace Hardware and buy their little 6" metal rule which is graduated in 64ths of an inch. It costs about $5.

Then, measure again very carefully from the very edge of the screw that holds the first tuner post to the corresponding edge of the screw that holds the last tuner post. Use a magnifying glass if necessary.

The distance will be either slightly over or slightly under 2 3/4". Chances are about 98% that it will be slightly under, in which case any set of tuners with the modern spacing will work. It is only on the outside chance that the measurement is slightly over 2 3/4" that you would need the "restoration" tuners.

The modern spacing is 2 23/32", the early spacing is 2 13/16" [or 2 26/32"]. The difference is small, but see-able if you look and measure very carefully.

If your eyes are not so good at seeing close up, or your hands aren't steady enough, find somebody to help you.

"Measure twice, cut once."

16. The following members say thank you to rcc56 for this post:

Oh yes, "Measure twice, cut once" was a favourite of my late Father who could spot 1/8" out of level at 6'. An old school 'brace and bit' master craftsman who was born a century ago this year.
    Great, it was much easier to see with the aid of Dad's small Lufkin rule. Definitely modern spacing as 2 13/16" came past the post centre. What concerns me is the apparent discrepancy in base plate screw spacings between my mando and the Golden Age A-style tuners schematic. I measured 1 13/16" between each end screw to the centre screw. Will I need to drill new holes near the old ones?
    I'll order them and figure it out when they arrive. I've just watched the video about plugging screw holes so I now have a head start.
    Last edited by Phil O'Dendron; Jan-17-2021 at 8:49pm. Reason: more information

18. The following members say thank you to Phil O'Dendron for this post:

Question Re: Gibson A Oval Tuning Machines

+ 1 .. with measured data you can go to the Stew Mac site, they have dimensioned drawings of their offerings..

General Tool has a Stainless steel basic caliper found @ auto parts stores ..

I got a Digital read out caliper from Stew Mac, they even replaced my 1st one when the LCD screen went goofy.
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

20. The following members say thank you to mandroid for this post:

Teacher, repair person

If you find it necessary to plug old screw holes and drill new ones, you can plug with round toothpicks with the end cut off and a little bit of Titebond to glue them in. I leave them a little long, then protect the surface of the peghead with a piece of thick paper and nip the end off with a pair of flush-cutters. On an antique instrument, I sometimes prefer to work a piece of mahogany dowel down to size. It looks better, but it's more time-consuming.
    I discourage the use of superglue [CA] for this job-- it has a nasty way of getting onto places you don't want it.

To drill new holes, a small drill bit in a pin vise is the best tool. You can wrap a piece of masking tape around the bit as a depth gauge. This is highly recommended, especially for a novice-- the last thing you want to happen is to drill all the way through the peghead.
    If you don't have a pin vise and can't find one at the hardware store, you can put the bit in an unplugged electric drill or Dremel and turn the chuck by hand. If you drill electrically and you don't have plenty of experience, it is too easy to accidentally drill too deep.

22. The following members say thank you to rcc56 for this post:

I agree about the use of superglue; not a good idea unless you're willing to rush a job because the glue sets so quickly. Yes, the piece of masking tape wrapped around the drill bit is something I've used for years (the little flag is easy to see when it approaches the top surface). I have an 'Ozito' Dremel type tool but will probably call on my jeweller friend who has lots of interesting machines for fine working.

I didn't realise just how bad these tuners were until I got them under the magnifier and saw the concave teeth on all of the cogs. The old pick guard might get reinstalled at the same time if I can scratch up some hide glue for the new nail (at the 15th fret) and the bracket's (wood block to guard) join. Then I can protect the top plate repair.

24. The following members say thank you to Phil O'Dendron for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Phil O'Dendron View Post
    I didn't realise just how bad these tuners were until I got them under the magnifier and saw the concave teeth on all of the cogs. .
    You will find that your new tuners also have concave teeth, they are supposed to, that is not wear.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

26. The following members say thank you to pops1 for this post:

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by pops1 View Post
    You will find that your new tuners also have concave teeth, they are supposed to, that is not wear.
    Pops1, I agree. I have some Golden Age tuners on one of my Gibson A teens mandolins, and they fit perfectly and work very well. I am quite happy to have replaced them and plan to put them on my other old Gibson in the future. Hello to you, by the way. Dan
    2014 BRW F5 #114

28. The following members say thank you to lflngpicker for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by lflngpicker View Post
    Pops1, I agree. I have some Golden Age tuners on one of my Gibson A teens mandolins, and they fit perfectly and work very well. I am quite happy to have replaced them and plan to put them on my other old Gibson in the future. Hello to you, by the way. Dan
    Hi Dan, hope you are doing well. How do you like your Pava? Sorry to dislodge the thread, but we all know how that goes.

30. The following members say thank you to pops1 for this post:

Blog Entries

Hi Pops!-- Sorry to be so slow! I am doing well enough. I remember you as a friend of my cousin, the late Don Young. Miss that guy! Well, Pops the Pava Pro has worked out really well. It is so true, in everyway. Tuning stability, low action, great tone and intonation. Pava knows what she is doing with Mr. Ellis as a partner. They're making some great instruments.
    2014 BRW F5 #114

Nice to hear Dan, I keep thinking about a Pava, but I already have too many mandolins. Oops is that even a possibility?

33. The following members say thank you to pops1 for this post:

Blog Entries

Pops1, I do think there is the right number for each player, which is very subjective and open to interpretation. I never seem to get mandolins out of my system, either. I am so pleased with the quality of the Pava in every way, which is saying a lot. I will be eager to hear what you decide. Dan
    2014 BRW F5 #114

35. The following members say thank you to lflngpicker for this post:

pops1 

Dan, My most played are a Unicorn that I like a lot and my Brentrup which is my main gigging mandolin, and an incredible sound. Every time I get a case of MAS all I have to do is play the Brentrup and it goes away pretty fast. I really should be selling some and not buying, just never seem to get around to it. ha ha

37. The following members say thank you to pops1 for this post:

My Florida is scooped pheffernan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by lflngpicker View Post
    Pops1, I do think there is the right number for each player, which is very subjective and open to interpretation. I never seem to get mandolins out of my system, either. I am so pleased with the quality of the Pava in every way, which is saying a lot. I will be eager to hear what you decide. Dan
    It does not mean that one is displeased with one's Pava when one has the opportunity to add a Weber Diamondback F5 Prototype to one's signature . . .
    1924 Gibson A Snakehead
    2005 National RM-1
    2007 Hester A5
    2009 Passernig A5
    2015 Black A2-z
    2010 Black GBOM
    2017 Poe Scout
    2014 Smart F-Style Mandola
    2018 Vessel TM5
    2019 Hogan F5

39. The following members say thank you to pheffernan for this post:

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by pheffernan View Post
    It does not mean that one is displeased with one's Pava when one has the opportunity to add a Weber Diamondback F5 Prototype to one's signature . . .
    Ah, touche my dear friend, Pat! Alas, I have been found out! I will say that one might be made quite pleased when acquiring said mandolin.
    2014 BRW F5 #114

41. The following members say thank you to lflngpicker for this post:

Dan, I played a Pave at a jam before all the craziness and liked it a lot, I can see why you like yours.

43. The following members say thank you to pops1 for this post:

Blog Entries

Dan, I played a Pave at a jam before all the craziness and liked it a lot, I can see why you like yours.
    Well, that is great to hear, Pops1. I am so glad to know that you enjoyed jamming with it! I hope those activities will resume sometime in the near future!
    2014 BRW F5 #114

Registered User sarcastic_jacket's Avatar

I just use any tuner that I like and cut the tuner plate into pieces so it fits. If you cut thru the screw holes the screws still hold them on and the spacing is no longer an issue. I don't mind altering something new and get whatever tuner I prefer the quality of. I have done this on my '22 and several old Gibsons.
    I’ve thought about doing this for my ‘17 A1, good to know someone else has had success with it. Do you have any photos of the tuners after installation?

46. The following members say thank you to sarcastic_jacket for this post:

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by sarcastic_jacket View Post
    I’ve thought about doing this for my ‘17 A1, good to know someone else has had success with it. Do you have any photos of the tuners after installation?
    Sarcastic, I will look and if not, I will snap one. They really do just drop right in. No drilling. Just a screw driver needed. They have worked really well.