Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Seller’s Remorse - 2008 custom Weber Fern

Blog Entries

Default Seller’s Remorse - 2008 custom Weber Fern

Hi, Everyone:

Long time no chat.... ;-)

Some of you may recall I once owned and then sold a 2008 custom Weber Fern with which I was mesmerized. I sold it because I needed the money, and now I’m wishing that hadn’t been the case. So, I’m on a quest to find it again and pitch an offer to buy it back. Unfortunately, I don’t have same email address any more, and I can’t remember the fellow’s name who bought it. All I recall is he was a professional musician who regularly toured Europe, and who wanted to have a nice mandolin to play.

I know this is a long shot. But if you are that person, or you somehow have any information about a beautiful Fern that says “made for Kevin Briggs” on the label inside the body, please let me know.

Thanks,
    Kevin
    Hamlett Two-Point
    Eastman MD805
    Schertler DYN-M + Yellow
    http://www.youtube.com/ktbriggs
    https://www.facebook.com/kevin.briggs.1213

Default Re: Seller’s Remorse - 2008 custom Weber Fern

No help to you, Kevin, but I suspect there are a lot of folks on this forum with similar stories. I’m one. I had a Collings MT2O that had been used as a battle axe, or something. A guitar repair guy fished it out of the trash and used spare parts and wood to put it back together. I bought it and called it Frankenmando. Sold it a couple of years ago and would like to buy it back but can’t find the current owner. I think MAS and need generate just a bit of sellers’ remorse.

===========

I would love to have my old Rigel Custom R-100 back . . . but much like my hairline, it's gone and most likely will never be seen again.

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MikeZito For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries

Hope you find it again, Kevin. I understand that longing for an old instrument sold or in my case, stolen. In 1975 someone entered my apartment and took my 1970 Martin D35. It was not replaceable and left a sense of loss I had to get used to over time.

Mike, you made me chuckle with the hairline quip!
    2014 BRW F5 #114
    2022 Kentucky KM 950 Master Model

YouTube Original Recording of My composition "Closer Walk"

Quote Originally Posted by MikeZito View Post
    I would love to have my old Rigel Custom R-100 back . . . but much like my hairline, it's gone and most likely will never be seen again.
    I, too, am missing a long gone mandolin and hairline. The mandolin was an 'old wood' Weber Vintage A.

I finally figured out how to offset the complete lack of hair on top of my head; I am letting the sides and back grow. It's just shy of ponytail length at the moment. I am finding that I like it. Goes well with my beard.

What I can't grow on top of my head, I am making up for on the sides and back. Sort of like my playing; what I lack in talent, I make up for in enthusiasm. Seems there is always a work-around if you look for it.
    Purr more, hiss less. Barn Cat Mandolins Photo Album

7. The following members say thank you to Bob Clark for this post:

Blog Entries

Ahh, yes, it's definitely an itchy itch to scratch. I actually contacted Microsoft and got access to the old email I used when I sold the mandolin, but Microsoft had purged my Archives, so there was no record of any emailing I'd done on that account. If anyone knows any tips for recovering deleted archive that would be awesome.

On another note, the nice fellow who bought it is from the New England area, is a piano player primarily, and tours with a band, often in Europe. I suspect he used or is using the Fern for studio recordings. He bought it as a hobbiest and a new player, which seems like an expensive foray into the mandolin world, but he was really cool and very conscientious. I felt good selling it to him at the time because I could tell he was into instruments and would take good care of it.

If you are him, or if anyone has any other ideas about this, please let me know. I've Googled the heck out of it too.
    Hamlett Two-Point
    Eastman MD805
    Schertler DYN-M + Yellow

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Briggs View Post
    Ahh, yes, it's definitely an itchy itch to scratch. I actually contacted Microsoft and got access to the old email I used when I sold the mandolin, but Microsoft had purged my Archives, so there was no record of any emailing I'd done on that account. If anyone knows any tips for recovering deleted archive that would be awesome.

On another note, the nice fellow who bought it is from the New England area, is a piano player primarily, and tours with a band, often in Europe. I suspect he used or is using the Fern for studio recordings. He bought it as a hobbiest and a new player, which seems like an expensive foray into the mandolin world, but he was really cool and very conscientious. I felt good selling it to him at the time because I could tell he was into instruments and would take good care of it.

If you are him, or if anyone has any other ideas about this, please let me know. I've Googled the heck out of it too.
    I just sent you the data on it including the only two people who replied to your ad. Interestingly, only 390 total ads in the Classifieds in early 2010.

10. The Following 17 Users Say Thank You to Mandolin Cafe For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Briggs View Post
    ......... I actually contacted Microsoft and got access to the old email I used when I sold the mandolin, but Microsoft had purged my Archives, so there was no record of any emailing I'd done on that account. If anyone knows any tips for recovering deleted archive that would be awesome.
    Good luck with your search, Kevin. Hopefully, it will work out.

I smiled at the above quote, thinking of the early days of the internet and how an ex-girlfriend from college, from 35 YEARS EARLIER just showed up one day at my front door unannounced........from 800 miles and 5 states away! She used the internet to track me down. I told her I was flattered and also NOT interested. I then told her that what she was able to do on her home computer used to take the FBI a computer a city-block long to accomplish. I also told her, in a polite way, that I felt it bordered on stalking. Fortunately, she was a reasonable person and not a threat. She was merely excited to use the technology. FWIW.

12. The following members say thank you to Jeff Mando for this post:

Gunnar 

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mandolin Cafe View Post
    I just sent you the data on it including the only two people who replied to your ad. Interestingly, only 390 total ads in the Classifieds in early 2010.
    Ah, man. Thanks, Scott! YTB! :-)
    Hamlett Two-Point
    Eastman MD805
    Schertler DYN-M + Yellow

Blog Entries

I’m hot on the trail, folks.... I believe I have found the person/email address of the person. This is exciting.

He’s actually a pretty renowned musician in a style I’m not too familiar with, and doesn’t incorporate the mandolin into his recordings. So, there is hope. Now let’s see if he still checks his email from 8 years ago, and responds to the guy who sold him that Weber. If it’s really him, I’m hoping he still has it and is sick of it, lol! :-)
    Hamlett Two-Point
    Eastman MD805
    Schertler DYN-M + Yellow

15. The following members say thank you to Kevin Briggs for this post:

Good news! I hope it works out. I sold a 60's Fender Princeton amp for the same reason and later wished I had it back. I know the guy who I sold it to and have seen him many times and have implored him to let me buy it back, but he has declined. Oh well.
    "All of us contain Music & Truth, but most of us can't get it out." - Mark Twain

Eastman MD615SB
    Martin D35
    Gibson SG

Blog Entries

Thank ya’! The email is sent and I’m awaitin’ his reply. :-)
    Hamlett Two-Point
    Eastman MD805
    Schertler DYN-M + Yellow

formerly Philphool Phil Goodson's Avatar

If you haven't already, you might google his name in case he has a web page now.

Also, many people have made email changes through the years from things like "musician" at aol.com to "musician" at gmail.com or some such.
    Good luck.
    Phil

“Sharps/Flats” “Accidentals”

Quote Originally Posted by Philphool View Post
    If you haven't already, you might google his name in case he has a web page now.

Also, many people have made email changes through the years from things like "musician" at aol.com to "musician" at gmail.com or some such.
    Good luck.
    Yes, looking for a current website or Facebook page would likely have more recent contact info.

This is the most exciting thread I’ve read in a long time. Hoping for a good ending Kevin!!
    Waterloo WL-M

Blues Mando Social Group - member

21. The following members say thank you to Joey Anchors for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Joey Anchors View Post
    This is the most exciting thread I’ve read in a long time. Hoping for a good ending Kevin!!
    No joke, awesome thread. Kevin, I remember that mandolin and how fondly you always spoke (wrote) of it. I was shocked when you sold it and then watched your catch and release period that followed. You’re a really great player and I hope you get your old soulmate back.

23. The following members say thank you to Caleb for this post:

mandolin slinger Steve Ostrander's Avatar

I had a Telecaster that I sold to a friend and immediately regretted it. About a year later I asked him how it was working out for him. He said he was going to sell it because he bought another Tele and his wife wasn’t happy with him. So I bought it back from him. What are friends for, right? Wouldn’t want his wife to be angry with him......
    Living’ in the Mitten

25. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Steve Ostrander For This Useful Post:

agree, this is a neat, exciting thread, hope you get it back Kevin!
    cool factor how the Café helped in the search/recovery.

d

27. The following members say thank you to darylcrisp for this post:

Great thread! Hope you find it and it works out in the best way. FWIW, Avenue Guitars in Colorado has a gently used Weber Fern for sale. NFI, but thought it might help with Plan B.

Quote Originally Posted by lflngpicker View Post
    Hope you find it again, Kevin. I understand that longing for an old instrument sold or in my case, stolen. In 1975 someone entered my apartment and took my 1970 Martin D35. It was not replaceable and left a sense of loss I had to get used to over time.............
    I feel your pain, or at least almost. In 1967, I had just purchased a brand new Martin D-35 guitar,. It was a Saturday morning and I was at a guitar class at the store where I had bought the instrument. I had set the case with my D-35 down about 20 feet from the front door.

While speaking to the owner, I turned just in time to see a young girl walking toward the door with my guitar case. I lunged at her and grabbed her and stopped her and grabbed my guitar.

I asked her, where were you headed with my guitar. She said, "Oh, I though tit was my guitar." and then ran out the door.

That was close. Oh, I still have the guitar.
    1917 Gibson A-3, '64 Martin A, 2016 Rhodes F5R.

Apitius Rosine F5...still trying to over pay to get it back.

Well, it's been 4 days -- any news????

Quote Originally Posted by Joey Anchors View Post
    I totally agree! I so hope you get the mandolin back! I really hope the buyer replies, he may be on vacation, or like me at times, too busy to check my emails. So don't give up if it takes a few more days.....

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by LadysSolo View Post
    I totally agree! I so hope you get the mandolin back! I really hope the buyer replies, he may be on vacation, or like me at times, too busy to check my emails. So don't give up if it takes a few more days.....
    Hi, Everyone:

I haven’t heard back from him. It’s disappointing for sure, and left me with primo MAS. I even contacted his musical label and haven’t gotten a reply. So, whatever it is will be okay. In the meantime, I’ve fully indulged my MAS by trading in my Collings MT and some $$ for a fully torrefied blonde, tortoise, MT2 from my guys Dennis and Brian at The Mandolin Store. I’m in full-on shiny new mando mode and can’t wait to get my hands on that thing.

You know, when I sold the Fern, I began a mandolin journey for sure. I took the cash and went from a Kentucky 900, Breedlove OF, Rigel A Natural, Morris A, Eastman A, Red Line A, and finally a Collings MT. They each had their upside, but it wasn’t until the Collings that I had something a bit special again. I truly don’t need to move on from the MT, except I’m after what I know red spruce brings to the table, and the torrefied top, back, and sides has me very intrigued.

This is I think the third mandolin I’ve purchased from Dennis over the years. I purchased the Fern and the Eastman A at his shop as well. I just want to give a major plug to him and to Brian. They have always steered me right. So, if I’m going to buy an instrument sight unseen, and if they tell me it’s a killer mandolin, I believe them. Its en route now, and they’ve treated me like a much appreciated repeat customer. Big thank you!

Now, unfortunately, Dennis is a Cowboys fan, but I choose to see past what any self-respecting Eagles fan knows is a major character flaw. ;-)
    Hamlett Two-Point
    Eastman MD805
    Schertler DYN-M + Yellow

34. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kevin Briggs For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries

Hi everyone,

Resuscitating this thread as I recently gave the search another shot ....

Since I last posted I've been in contact with the buyer's brother (thank you LinkedIn) and will share that sadly for their family the buyer has been considered a missing person for a while. It explains why I've never gotten a response after sending messages to emails and calling phone numbers attributed to him.

The most recent thing I came up with is a YouTube channel of his that has some fairly concerning videos of him playing music at home five or six years ago. I could make assumptions about what may have happened to him, but it's obviously a very sad story right now that will hopefully have a happy ending for the family if/when they ever find their brother/son.

Knowing this information puts the mandolin search in perspective. It's not as important as the safety and good health of our loved ones. Hoping for the best for that family.
    Hamlett Two-Point
    Eastman MD805
    Schertler DYN-M + Yellow

36. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Kevin Briggs For This Useful Post: