Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Collings MT2 Review

Default Re: Collings MT2 Review

Cool thread. That MT2 is a sweet mandolin. I just had the opportunity to play with one this morning for the first time at a local shop. I love the natural finish and construction, and the tone was to die for. I'm currently learning on a Kentucky KM-270 and am wanting to upgrade. I tried an Eastman MD-605 first this morning and was really impressed with it. The construction and finish were great, and it sounded so much nicer than my Kentucky. Then I made the mistake of picking up an MT2. As nice as the Eastman sounded, this Collings sounded better -- hard to describe, just more open, or pure, or something. Anyway, congrats on owning this great mandolin. Playing it definitely helped clarify my upgrade priorities.

Yes, after you play an MT2, assuming you like the tone and playability, you really do have your mandolin dreams crystallized and defined as compared to a lot of other mandolins.

Blog Entries

Thanks for the reply.

Yes, it really is a game-changer. I’ve played and owned nice mandolins before but this one is special. I was very happy at how well it stood up with the Gibson MM and Ellis F5 at The Mandolin Store. Those were two great mandolins too, but not “better” to my hands and ears. It was more a matter of preference.

The Ellis F5 has remained in my mind as particularly outstanding, if or when I am interested in an F style and I have $9k, but I’m not having MAS and that type of thing. My MT2 has me in a really good spot in that regard.

Lately, with a second set of J75s just installed and a switch from the Golden Gate to a thicker but brighter Dunlop, I’m reveling in how crisp and precise the MT2 is. It wasn’t such a chop monster fresh out of the box, but it has developed into being one since. Each day is something new.
    Last edited by Kevin Briggs; Oct-19-2019 at 3:25pm.

4. The following members say thank you to Kevin Briggs for this post:

Blog Entries

Heya, folks:

I raised the action just a hair earlier today. There was a bit of buzzing going on and it seems the action was a bit low. It's also getting colder here in the Northeast, so....

Here's a little lullaby I played our aging dog Abu tonight. He is a rescue dog and has a hard time settling down, especially around men, so I was happy to play him some gentle mandolin music. Seems to have worked. It's also a good gauge on this mandolin's tone. Sounding sweet for sure. Right now it has a second set of J75s on it (which I love) and the action is a tad higher than it's been. Apologies for the video quality.

Hamlett Two-Point
    Eastman MD805
    Schertler DYN-M + Yellow
    http://www.youtube.com/ktbriggs
    https://www.facebook.com/kevin.briggs.1213

I’ve really enjoyed reading about your journey with your MT2. Mine arrives later this week, the result of trading my MT. Your passion for your music is inspiring. Your compassion for Abu is touching. Looks like life is well-lived in your house.

Tom