Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Tonegards

Blog Entries

Default Re: Tonegards

Quote Originally Posted by BradKlein View Post
    It's true that the tone guard is not discussed as much in recent years here at the Cafe. I've thought that it's become pretty widely accepted as 'NOT a gimmick' but something exactly analogous to a violin shoulder or chin rest. It's not for everyone, but many many professional and amateur players find it useful for either tonal reasons, or comfort.
    And it is trivially easy to determine if it would be of any advantage to you. Do you play with the back of the instrument against your body? If yes, then yes. If not, then no.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

Will have to admit, there is one mandolin where the Tone-Gard does not seem to help. That's my Kalamazoo. Have repeatedly experimented with it and while there may be a very slight addition to the low mids with it on, it's not consistent. If I do use it on this instrument, it's to prevent my sweat from damaging the back. (FWIW, I do believe the mahogany back on the KM-21 is laminated.) Otherwise as stated previously I use one (as well as armrests) on my other mandolins and feel they improve the sound.
    Brentrup Model 23, Boeh A5 #37, Gibson A Jr., Big Muddy M-11, Coombe Classical flattop, Strad-O-Lin
    https://www.facebook.com/LauluAika/
    https://www.lauluaika.com/
    https://www.facebook.com/Longtine-Am...14404553312723

Quote Originally Posted by John Bertotti View Post
    I remember when tongards appeared on the scene. Do many of you still use them? Over the years have you had any negative issues with the item? I’ve noticed since I have been sitting more that there is a nice increase in my sound when I sit and the instrument isn’t resting on my belly. Obviously now I can’t help but wonder if I shouldn’t get one.

I am only a recent adopter of the tone gard so I can’t speak to effects on finish long term, but I am confident it has a positive effect on the tone and sound when I am playing standing or slouching on the sofa.

An unexpected advantage that I have discovered is that when practicing or performing in a more “proper” posture it stabilizes the mandolin (I play an “A” style) in a similar way that the point on an “F” style can. I am thrilled with the tone gard, understand why so many speak so highly of them, and hope others find them helpful in the future.