Thread: Small top crack repair

Default Small top crack repair

I'm repairing a friends F5 which has a slight crack in the top behind the bridge. I saw a real nice method using a guitar tuner attached to a jig. You run a string through the crack and attach a small piece of wood to the free end through the F-hole. Pull it tight with the tuner and crack repaired. I don't remember where I saw it but I would like to revisit it and get more details.
    Richard Hutchings

Default Re: Small top crack repair

I searched "Teeter" (the inventor(?) of the "gizmos", or at least the person who wrote about them) and found several threads. This one has pictures...
    https://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/t...ghlight=teeter

The problem with a mandolin I think is going to be aligning the grain of the cleat. I was thinking of using plywood.

When we work blind inside an instrument applying cleats using the "gizmos", we pretty much take what we get as far as grain alignment. I think of the cleat as a way of aligning the crack more than a reinforcement of the glued crack.

On closer inspection, this crack is too close the brace, I would have to sister the brace somehow. The crack isn't open, it's just a visual thing you see when the you look at it just right so I'm not going to touch it. I also notice the top has a bulge that fills the gap under the bridge. It still sounds and plays great though so I'll hold off doing anything to it other than adding a pickguard that he requested.
    Richard Hutchings