Thread: uploading video

Default uploading video

I'm having no luck uploading to the Cafe recordings I've made on an ipad using an app called Voice Recorder Pro. The app offers several different file formats for my recordings, including mp4, mp3, and wav. Lately, I usually save my recordings as MP4's, because then I can upload directly onto my Facebook page.

I am aware that the Cafe offers a straightforward channel to import music videos from YouTube. Voice Recorder Pro has a button to export a recording directly to Youtube, where it will show as a still photo with a play button attached. I've had some issues in the past with fans and distributors uploading my music to YouTube without my permission, so I'd prefer to avoid YouTube as a mandatory extra step to post an occasional unpublished tune on the Cafe.

Is there a simple and direct method that I can upload an occasional recording onto the Cafe? Would it possibly work if I linked to the facebook URL of the tune?

If you've already explained the steps on how to do this, just post the link and I'll check it out. Thanks.
    Last edited by Jim Nollman; Sep-19-2019 at 5:07pm.
    Explore some of my published music here.

—Jim

Sierra F5 #30 (2005)
    Altman 2-point (2007)
    Portuguese fado cittern (1965)

Default Re: uploading video

You can upload a video to youtube and not have it at all accessible by the public. The other possibility is to upload it to DropBox or Google Drive and share it. I don't know if the site will work with large files and often videos run in lots of MBs.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

So there is no way to upload an mp3 or mp4 directly onto the Cafe without routing it through some middleman storage source. I do understand why you do it that way. Whether Youtube or Dropbox, these sites are far more capable of dealing with larger audio and video files. I'll either figure out how to post audio here in a way that works for me, or I'll just skip it.
    Explore some of my published music here.

—Jim

Sierra F5 #30 (2005)
    Altman 2-point (2007)
    Portuguese fado cittern (1965)

If you upload to Youtube you can set the privacy settings:

Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Nollman View Post
    I'm having no luck uploading to the Cafe recordings I've made on an ipad using an app called Voice Recorder Pro. The app offers several different file formats for my recordings, including mp4, mp3, and wav. Lately, I usually save my recordings as MP4's, because then I can upload directly onto my Facebook page.

I am aware that the Cafe offers a straightforward channel to import music videos from YouTube. Voice Recorder Pro has a button to export a recording directly to Youtube, where it will show as a still photo with a play button attached. I've had some issues in the past with fans and distributors uploading my music to YouTube without my permission, so I'd prefer to avoid YouTube as a mandatory extra step to post an occasional unpublished tune on the Cafe.

Is there a simple and direct method that I can upload an occasional recording onto the Cafe? Would it possibly work if I linked to the facebook URL of the tune?

If you've already explained the steps on how to do this, just post the link and I'll check it out. Thanks.
    Uploading an MP3, MP4 and .wav is identical to adding an image. Go to Advanced posting and click the paper clip icon. There is a 16MB size limit though which is a reasonably large sound file for MP3 which is typically a 3-4 minute recording for a single tune for example. Videos need to and should be hosted by a provider that offers professional streaming services, not stored on the Cafe: YouTube, Vimeo, etc. Even Facebook is happy to host your original videos and my guess is they care less about copyright issues than the first two mentioned. All of those services have existing custom BB Codes for allowing them to be displayed inline here. There is also a streaming MP3 player available in HTML, again, custom BB Code.

EDIT: just added MP4 and .wav extensions. No one's ever requested them. Not tested, won't happen today, but no reason to doubt they will work.
    Last edited by Mandolin Cafe; Sep-22-2019 at 9:01am.