Thread: L&H Model A vrs Gibson Construction differences

Default L&H Model A vrs Gibson Construction differences

My understanding is that Lyon & Healy Models A, B, and C were constructed differently than Gibson’s of the same era. I am interested in knowing what those differences are. Does it refer to bracing? To how the tops are carved? Thank you in advance.

“There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats.” ― Albert Schweitzer

1925 Lyon & Healy Model A, #1674
    2015 Collings A (MT2-V)

2. The following members say thank you to Tim Logan for this post:

Mandolin & Mandola maker

Default Re: L&H Model A vrs Gibson Construction differences

Yes they are quite different. The overall build is lighter than the Gibson's so the top and back are carved thinner, but the bracing is the same with a cross brace behind the sound hole. The top does not sink because they have a higher arch and the neck angle is lower so the bridge height is lower. The body size is smaller and that also helps. There is no riser block so the bindings rise up and around at the neck. They are finished with some sort of oil varnish that I believed was overcoated with French polish, beautifully done. The Gibsons were finished with Shellac, French polished. All the L&H mandolins have a hard Maple back, some are birdseye, others are flamed. Some Gibsons have a Maple back, but many are Birch, especially the teens. The L&H's changed over the years with introduction of the asymmetric points and the neck slimmed down in the later ones. L&H used vulcanized fibre for the pickguard, the headstock veneer and neck reinforcement. The pickguard is carved. Gibson did not use vulcanized fibre. Headstock design is completely different, and the way the pickguard is mounted is different. There may be other differences I can't think of at the moment.
    Peter Coombe - mandolins, mandolas and guitars
    http://www.petercoombe.com

4. The following members say thank you to peter.coombe for this post:

Default Re: L&H Model A vrs Gibson Construction differences

Hi Peter -
    Thank you so much! I most appreciate your in depth understanding of these L&H mandolins (and am quite taken with mine - they are really wonderful IMHO). I suspect I could count on one hand the number of people that could answer that question! Many thanks ��.
    Tim

“There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats.” ― Albert Schweitzer

1925 Lyon & Healy Model A, #1674
    2015 Collings A (MT2-V)

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tim Logan For This Useful Post: