Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mandolin players who bought or have played a Waterloo Mandolin

Default Mandolin players who bought or have played a Waterloo Mandolin

I would like to hear from Mandolin players who bought or have played a Waterloo Mandolin. I think I want one, but would like to know what you think of them. What are they like compared to an F5, A5, or the “Original “ Kalamazoo KM11. I play Fiddle and Mandolin, mostly fiddle tunes by myself and occasionally with friends. Are they better suited for Old Time, etc.? Please give me your honest opinions before I spend $1800. Of my kid’s inheritance. Thanks
    Last edited by Tom Sanderson; Sep-28-2019 at 4:35pm.

Default Re: Mandolin players who bought or have played a Waterloo Mandoli

Buy it, Tom. You will like it.
    "your posts ... very VERY opinionated ...basing your opinion/recommendations ... pot calling ...kettle... black...sarcasm...comment ...unwarranted...unnecessary...."

3. The following members say thank you to Mandobar for this post:

===========

Ah, go ahead and spend the $1,800 - your kids won't miss what they never had . . . .

5. The following members say thank you to MikeZito for this post:

Dave Sheets

My kid is gonna inherit a lot of cool stuff
    -Dave
    Flatiron A
    Way too many other instruments

formerly Philphool Phil Goodson's Avatar

I played one at IBMA yesterday, just for a minute. Honestly, I was surprised at how nice the tone and feel was compared to other flat top mandolins I've played. There was still the woofiness of the G string that all round hole mandolins seem to have, but much less than I expected.

I still far prefer ff-holed mandolins, but nonetheless I was somewhat impressed.
    Phil

“Sharps/Flats” “Accidentals”

8. The following members say thank you to Phil Goodson for this post:

Tom, you should buy two, so I can play one.
    Charley

A bunch of stuff with four strings

10. The following members say thank you to Charles E. for this post:

I played one at Gryphon. It was quite bright for a flat top, not necessarily a bad thing. But I also played the Northfield Calhoun next to it at close to half the price. The Northfield had some of the low end of my A1 going on, but way less tubby. The Waterloo was voiced more like a modern instrument, and my feeling was you could play bluegrass with it. Like every other Collings product I've ever played, it seemed overpriced to me. That is my problem.

It all comes down to liking it which is subjective. It was a quality mandolin worth buying if the sound floats your boat.
    Silverangel A
    Arches F style kit
    1913 Gibson A-1

12. The following members say thank you to Br1ck for this post:

Didn't a forumite named TomS. win the Waterloo mandolin giveaway?

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to V70416 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by V70416 View Post
    I just saw who posted and thought the same thing...
    Mandolin: Kentucky KM150
    Other instruments: way too many, and yet, not nearly enough.

My blog: https://theoffgridmusician.music.blog/
    My YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UChF...yWuaTrtB4YORAg
    My Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/africanbanjogunnar/
    Free backing tracks:
    https://backingtrackers.wordpress.com/

16. The following members say thank you to Gunnar for this post:

The winner was in Massachusetts. I believe the OP is in Florida.

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mandobar For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by V70416 View Post
    Yes, but it wasn’t me ☹️

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tom Sanderson For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries

I remember when I first had a chance to play a bunch of old mandolins a bunch of years ago in a shop in Philly. I go to play great old Gibson A4, A2 mandolins and a bunch of different Martin Cant Topped mandolins (flat top and back). I remember that they really did sound different from each other and I was more accustomed to the sound from the arch topped instruments.

Now, my main mandolin is a cant topped mandolin with engleman over Western Australian Sheoak (rosewood like density and sound) and it is my preferred sound.

If you're mostly used to an ff holed arch top these will sound different to you. That's a good thing, IMO. I would expect the Collings quality of build and consistency of sound to be hallmarks of these flatties. But, if you're still reading, alas, I haven't had one in hand but would love to try one.

Jamie
    There are two things to aim at in life: first, to get what you want; and, after that, to enjoy it. Only the wisest of mankind achieve the second. Logan Pearsall Smith, 1865 - 1946

+ Give Blood, Save a Life +

22. The following members say thank you to JEStanek for this post:

This is a really nice one. I love the burst.

https://themusicemporium.com/mandoli...-wl-m-sunburst
    "your posts ... very VERY opinionated ...basing your opinion/recommendations ... pot calling ...kettle... black...sarcasm...comment ...unwarranted...unnecessary...."

24. The following members say thank you to Mandobar for this post:

Looks like it sold already!

I was in Gryphon Strings a few weeks ago and played all of the oval hole mandolins they had in the shop.
    I liked the Waterloo, but I don't think it is $1000 better than the Northfield Calhoun. The Waterloo has a nicer finish and is a bit more even across all strings.
    I'm used to playing my Collings MT2-O (which I brought with me to compare) and none of the instruments that they had in, including 2 Collings MT-O, Gibson F4 and F2, Northfield F2S, matched it in tone.
    The Waterloo was certainly the nicest flattop they had.
    If you're looking for that Gibson Army Navy sound, I think there are better buys out there. I'd check out the Sawchyn Beavertail for half the price.
    If you're looking for a full sounding oval, I'd keep my eye open for a used Collings MT-O at probably more than $1800, but more worth it, I think.

27. The following members say thank you to stevojack665 for this post:

My sentiments exactly, as $1000 is a tidy sum. But I'd caution against that one thing being the deciding factor. The one big thing I was looking for when visiting TMS, was the difference between a Kentucky Master model and a Northfield F 5s. The difference was about a grand, and really, the Kentucky was very good. But in the end I realized that had I bought a Kentucky, I would have regretted not having the performance I heard from the Northfield every time I played.

If the Waterloo is the sound you really want, go for it. In the end you'll save yet another upgrade cycle. If you have to buy online, see if you can swing buying two mandolins so you can complare. The Calhoun has a vintage vibe the Waterloo lacks as far as tone goes. That could be good or bad depending on what you want.
    Silverangel A
    Arches F style kit
    1913 Gibson A-1

29. The following members say thank you to Br1ck for this post:

I have just received a sunburst Waterloo WL M. I love flat tops and found it to be a nice mandolin and excellent fit and finish as are all the Collings instruments with which I've ever dealt. Right out of the box I had my doubts and was a little disappointed. But after a day of playing, a lot, I like it and recognize it has its own sound and is not ready to be compared to the other flat tops i have experienced. I have a Sawchyn Beaver tail that is the best sounding flat top I have but the Waterloo is different. To me, the Sawchyn "pops" (a word I used to describe banjos years ago) out at you with its sound and the Waterloo is a little more shy but the beaver tail is maple and the WLM is mahogany. I do not in any way consider myself a judge but I like it and I can see now that it will continue to grow on me. But it is different, nice, but different. I paid too much for it but after a while I don't think that will matter too much. I will just "play like" I never had it in the first place. In the end, I like it, I like the feel of it and the sound of it, after getting a little used to it. I don't think it makes me a better player but what little I can do I enjoy doing on the Waterloo. An after thought is that I like the sound much better with my Wegen Trimus pick. It seems thicker and fuller. But it is my favorite pick. Hope this helps anyone looking at the Waterloo WLM.

31. The following members say thank you to J.C. Bryant for this post:

Sometimes after playing my modern archtop mandolins, I play my A 1 and my ears just ask me why I even have it. But when I play the same mandolin the next day first, I think what a fine tone it has. The ears play tricks on you. Time will tell as you either reach for it or don't as the case may be. As to price, every Collings I ever have played seemed overpriced to me, and I suspect I'd not give it a thought after paying that price. Still, broken down to dollars per hour, over time you couldn't go bowling or, heaven forbid, play golf for the same hourly rate.
    Silverangel A
    Arches F style kit
    1913 Gibson A-1

33. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Br1ck For This Useful Post:

Brick, you are absolutely right! I only have a couple hobbies, woodcarving and these instruments. I used to be big into hunting, bird dogs, etc. but compared to all that the cost of my instruments is nothing to worry about. I'm happy with them and if I get to where that is not so, then I will sell them and go on. Thanks for your input. Blessings, J.C. Bryant

35. The following members say thank you to J.C. Bryant for this post:

I just bought one from Gryphon. It’s the one that was featured in the Peghead Nation review. I delayed shipping due to being on vacation next week so I won’t get it until Monday 11/18

https://pegheadnation.com/instrument...vE2g7T3uZwXdHI

Mine arrived yesterday. I played it last night for about an hour. This morning, I put a new set of strings on ( it was at Gryphon since at least early August, they included a new set of EJ74 ). I like everything about it except the tailpiece. I had to bend the loop end of the strings about 90 degrees to get them to fit into the hooks. Hopefully I will get better at it after a few sets. I think it could have been designed to be a little more user friendly. Other than that, so far, I love itClick image for larger version. 

Name:	F6A10CE0-9A1D-4835-AFC8-2A8F80404494.jpeg 
Views:	177 
Size:	64.6 KB 
ID:	181285

38. The following members say thank you to Tom Sanderson for this post:

Tailpieces where you have to thread the strings through them is a terrible design IMHO. My Weber has it as well.
    Not all the clams are at the beach

Arrow Manouche
    Arrow Jazzbo
    Arrow G
    Clark 2 point
    Gibson F5L
    Gibson A-4
    Ratliff CountryBoy A

When are you bringing it over Tom?
    Charley

A bunch of stuff with four strings

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Sanderson View Post
    Mine arrived yesterday. I played it last night for about an hour. This morning, I put a new set of strings on ( it was at Gryphon since at least early August, they included a new set of EJ74 ). I like everything about it except the tailpiece. I had to bend the loop end of the strings about 90 degrees to get them to fit into the hooks. Hopefully I will get better at it after a few sets. I think it could have been designed to be a little more user friendly. Other than that, so far, I love itClick image for larger version. 

Name:	F6A10CE0-9A1D-4835-AFC8-2A8F80404494.jpeg 
Views:	177 
Size:	64.6 KB 
ID:	181285
    Sometimes there's a reason why designs need to evolve.

I, too, played the Kalamazoo flat-top at Gryphon in September.

Well made, decent sound and playability.

Could not bond with the open pore body.

I think it was the finest $900 mandolin I have played. Unfortunately, it was not $900.