Thread: M David Mandolins, Milton David McClaskey

Default M David Mandolins, Milton David McClaskey

Can you tell me anything about M David Mandolins? Built by Milton David McClaskey.

they are certainly beautiful but how about the sound, etc?

thanks,
    J.C. Bryant

Default Re: M David Mandolins, Milton David McClaskey

Funny that no one answered you at all. I just got an emailing from Lark in the Morning and they listed a nice blond oval hole two point. I think he hasn’t made that many perhaps but surely some one must have played. His website pictures a few artists playing them. Time to revive this thread?

https://larkinthemorning.com/collections/mandolins/products/m-david-mandolins-oval-body-arched-top-with-oval-hole-0024
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

3. The following members say thank you to Jim Garber for this post:

Milton is a great guy. He volunteered his time at Bay Nature Magazine where I work. I've played a few of his mandolins. At Lark in the Morning as Jim mentioned and I've also run into Milton at a crafts fair a few years ago before the pandemic. He had a few in his booth that I played. Very nice instruments. They play well and have what I would call a clean modern sound.
    Mandolin : Weber Bitterroot F, Gibson 1907 A, Eastman 805 A
    Mandola : Weber Yellowstone A
    Guitar : Taylor 810

Laurence

5. The following members say thank you to Laurence Firth for this post:

I like the look of the two point. Nice to know they sound as good as they look.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

7. The following members say thank you to Jim Garber for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by J.C. Bryant View Post
    Can you tell me anything about M David Mandolins? Built by Milton David McClaskey.

they are certainly beautiful but how about the sound, etc?

thanks,
    J.C. Bryant
    I regularly play the pancake style mandolin he gave me for my Italian trio. People often state how much louder and audible it is than most mandolins. Highly recommend it. https://youtu.be/EdWu5V5R2Ng

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by RRapuzzi View Post
    I regularly play the pancake style mandolin he gave me for my Italian trio. People often state how much louder and audible it is than most mandolins. Highly recommend it. https://youtu.be/EdWu5V5R2Ng
    What a great clip. Loved it!

Funny thing. The youtube started with an ad for VRBO vacation house rentals, and the house in the ad was a similar color to the house in your video. I thought for a second that maybe folks wanted mandolin ensembles at their vacation rentals. What a great idea.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

BTW here is his his website with photos of quite a few mandolins: https://www.mdavidmandolins.com/
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:

11. The following members say thank you to Jim Garber for this post: