Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Campanella Mandolin

Default Re: Campanella Mandolin

I have mentioned this a few times. I met Joe Cleary years ago and remembered his distinctive mandolins when he brought two to Carlo Aonzo’s workshop in New York City. Many years later I was privileged to acquire one. So, perhaps DougC is correct.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

and then there were none......well, there is always next year, I guess.
    "your posts ... very VERY opinionated ...basing your opinion/recommendations ... pot calling ...kettle... black...sarcasm...comment ...unwarranted...unnecessary...."

Quote Originally Posted by DougC View Post
    If you meet the luthier, there is a good chance you'll buy his/her instrument……...
    Well, last week I walked across the street from a guitar builder to A banjo builder and managed to contain my desires. From there I drove a ways to pass another guitar and mandolin builder ended up at a jam with our local hero mandolin builder.

Resistance is not futile.

Of course I’m waiting for an old order to be completed.
    Not all the clams are at the beach

Arrow Manouche
    Arrow Jazzbo
    Arrow G
    Clark 2 point
    Gibson F5L
    Gibson A-4
    Ratliff CountryBoy A

Quote Originally Posted by Bill McCall View Post
    Well, last week I walked across the street from a guitar builder to A banjo builder and managed to contain my desires. From there I drove a ways to pass another guitar and mandolin builder ended up at a jam with our local hero mandolin builder.

Resistance is not futile.

Of course I’m waiting for an old order to be completed.
    Holy moly! Does Oregon have more luthiers per square inch than anywhere else on earth? Hard not to hit a luthier when throwing stones?
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Whoever got that Campanella A5 got a great mandolin. I went over and played it and was ready to make a deal for it. First Campanella I’ve played and it is mighty fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Garber View Post
    Holy moly! Does Oregon have more luthiers per square inch than anywhere else on earth? Hard not to hit a luthier when throwing stones?
    I was in Sisters Oregon, where you can throw a stone in opposite directions across the street and hit 2 shops. Started in Bend, 20 minutes away, but didn’t see Andrew Mowry or TOH. Went past Mosier and down to PDX.

Lots of builders in that loop.
    Not all the clams are at the beach

Arrow Manouche
    Arrow Jazzbo
    Arrow G
    Clark 2 point
    Gibson F5L
    Gibson A-4
    Ratliff CountryBoy A

Quote Originally Posted by Josh Levine View Post
    Whoever got that Campanella A5 got a great mandolin. I went over and played it and was ready to make a deal for it. First Campanella I’ve played and it is mighty fine.
    It was me! I traded in my Ellis A5 on it. It looks beautiful and sounds great from the video clips. Can’t wait for it to arrive tomorrow!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Mandobar View Post
    and then there were none......well, there is always next year, I guess.
    Are you looking to add another to that exquisite F5?

8. The following members say thank you to Jason Albert for this post:

No, Jason. It was a general comment. Several people messaged me, and asked if I’d played the A5, and were still mulling it over. I am thinking there are many kicking themselves.
    Last edited by Mandobar; Aug-25-2022 at 8:45am.
    "your posts ... very VERY opinionated ...basing your opinion/recommendations ... pot calling ...kettle... black...sarcasm...comment ...unwarranted...unnecessary...."

Quote Originally Posted by Bill McCall View Post
    I was in Sisters Oregon, where you can throw a stone in opposite directions across the street and hit 2 shops. Started in Bend, 20 minutes away, but didn’t see Andrew Mowry or TOH. Went past Mosier and down to PDX.

Lots of builders in that loop.
    There are a lot of luthiers in that area. They have a little “guild” that used to meet on a regular basis and show their work.

Hey Jason, Congrats! I think you you will be pleasantly satisfied with your purchase. Camps are just different than anything else...

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Albert View Post
    It was me! I traded in my Ellis A5 on it. It looks beautiful and sounds great from the video clips. Can’t wait for it to arrive tomorrow!

- - - Updated - - -

Are you looking to add another to that exquisite F5?

Congrats Jason! You got yourself a keeper. IÂ’ve owned an Ellis and played several and they are fantastic. I love their rich dark tone.

But, this Campanella has something else all together very in line with my style. It has a bright, focused, woody pop, tons of headroom and plays great. Great strong mids and that killer violin finish. Just a really fun and memorable instrument. Enjoy it!

I'm surprised they all lasted as long as they did.

Josh, I hope you played that Dude while you were at TME.

Quote Originally Posted by Josh Levine View Post
    Congrats Jason! You got yourself a keeper. IÂ’ve owned an Ellis and played several and they are fantastic. I love their rich dark tone.

But, this Campanella has something else all together very in line with my style. It has a bright, focused, woody pop, tons of headroom and plays great. Great strong mids and that killer violin finish. Just a really fun and memorable instrument. Enjoy it!
    It is really great. It sounds so different from the Ellis (which was wonderful for its rich tones). This just rings out — you hear the wood but also the clarity of the notes. I play mostly classical and so thought this would be more in line with that. And it is a beautiful instrument with the edges and violin finish.

Does anyone know what type of frets this has? Just curious. Thanks.

And here is a picture of it (next to my Octolindo).Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Campanella.jpg 
Views:	134 
Size:	664.2 KB 
ID:	202888

16. The following members say thank you to Jason Albert for this post:

Dave_W 

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Albert View Post
    And here is a picture of it (next to my Octolindo).Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Campanella.jpg 
Views:	134 
Size:	664.2 KB 
ID:	202888
    Just. WOW.

Beautiful! That's a cool stand too!

Quote Originally Posted by Mandobar View Post
    I'm surprised they all lasted as long as they did.

Josh, I hope you played that Dude while you were at TME.
    I think the main reason is the price. Maybe it is my imagination but every time TME lists one the price rises. That is all the more reason why it is amazing that they sell so fast. I was exceptionally lucky to get mine. Still I would see if Joe would make one of his beautifully sculpted armrests for those that lack one.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:

I think the main reason is the price. Maybe it is my imagination but every time TME lists one the price rises. That is all the more reason why it is amazing that they sell so fast. I was exceptionally lucky to get mine. Still I would see if Joe would make one of his beautifully sculpted armrests for those that lack one.
    Jim, Joe controls the pricing, not TME. And if it seems like they go up every time they list one, well, it takes them two years (give or take a few months on either side) to get their allotment. At that point costs have gone up and so has demand. As for used prices, the demand exceeds the supply, so it would be crazy to discount if you are waiting 18 to 24 months for new inventory.

I was merely observing that if it wasn’t sold immediately you had to have the right person with adequate funds. But they still do sell pretty quickly.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Seale View Post
    Beautiful! That's a cool stand too!
    Thanks. That is the Northfield Ox. It is available at their site for order (NFI) and is even lovelier in person.

I have the second Toole from TME - it is incredible!

I was merely observing that if it wasn’t sold immediately you had to have the right person with adequate funds. But they still do sell pretty quickly.
    Joe's mandolins are in a class by themselves. I think it's that "difference," in the feel and the sound, and certainly in the aesthetics, that makes them attractive to buyers.

You certainly don’t need to sell me on them!
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:

Lol.

Mary was that your Girouard Concert oval A with the Port Orford cedar figured top that just sold at TME?
    2018 Girouard Concert oval A
    2015 JP "Whitechapel" tenor banjo
    2018 Frank Tate tenor guitar
    1969 Martin 00-18

my Youtube channel