Thread: Big Muddy or Red Valley?

Default Big Muddy or Red Valley?

This may be a question none of you can answer, but which of these two mandolins do you think can take temperature changes more easily? I'm in the market for a new flat top and I've got it narrowed down to these two makers. I'm from Florida, but moving to New England in the new year. I have no idea how to effectively care for a mandolin in the cold, thus this will be a learning curve for me. I'm wondering which of these two mandolins would be more forgiving to a novice?

Thanks in advance for the advice.

Default Re: Big Muddy or Red Valley?

I live in New Hampshire and am a novice.

I've never played or even seen a Red Valley (in person), but I have a Mid Missouri (Big Muddy) mandola that I bought used and which I like very much.

My house is drafty and has a woodstove in the living room. Although I have a big honkin' humidifier for the winter (as well as a dehumidifier for the summer), I generally keep my instruments (most of them old) in a spare bedroom with both an electric heater and another small humidifier on an Inkbird controller.

I have not suffered any humidity damage to anything since I set up this system.

Welcome to New England - to which state are you moving?
    "To be obsessed with the destination is to remove the focus from where you are." Philip Toshio Sudo, Zen Guitar

3. The following members say thank you to Sue Rieter for this post:

Em Tee 

Quote Originally Posted by Em Tee View Post
    This may be a question none of you can answer, but which of these two mandolins do you think can take temperature changes more easily? I'm in the market for a new flat top and I've got it narrowed down to these two makers. I'm from Florida, but moving to New England in the new year. I have no idea how to effectively care for a mandolin in the cold, thus this will be a learning curve for me. I'm wondering which of these two mandolins would be more forgiving to a novice?

Thanks in advance for the advice.
    I am not sure I can answer this question fully but I’ll give my opinion. Personally what I think you should pay attention to are not temperature but humidity changes:

- I have a Big Muddy. It is a nice mandolin, but does not take low humidity very well. I definitely need to keep an eye on humidity level (case or room humidifier) to prevent damage. That said I now live in western Canada, where sudden cold snaps and low humidity are par for the course in the winter. Which brings me to:

- I used to live in New England. As far as I recall, it stays pretty humid for most of the winter, as it rains quite a lot and rarely gets as cold. Temperature/humidity changes also happen relatively slowly. So I don’t think it will be bad for your mandolin.

In summary: as New England is probably not going to be as hard on your mandolins, I’d choose the one you like and have a humidifier handy just in case. You can also reach out to Big Muddy’s Mike Dulak, he gave me a bunch of useful advice on instrument maintenance in winter/low humidity.

5. The following members say thank you to kdlrd for this post:

Em Tee 

Worlds ok-ist mando playr Zach Wilson's Avatar

I've owned both... (sold the Big Muddy and play the Red Valley almost daily)... and don't really think either one would be more or less temp or humidity resistant. Both builders are incredible at what they do! I'm sure you'll love either one.

Quote Originally Posted by Sue Rieter View Post

Welcome to New England - to which state are you moving?
    We are looking at Vermont. Trying to start a small farmstead.

Very cool. Vermont is a beautiful state.
    "To be obsessed with the destination is to remove the focus from where you are." Philip Toshio Sudo, Zen Guitar

9. The following members say thank you to Sue Rieter for this post:

Em Tee 

I’d also be checking on any Flatiron pancakes that show up. They would be used.

My Florida is scooped pheffernan's Avatar

I’ve never played a Red Valley but owned a MidMo and know Mike Dulak to have supplied multiple bridges (at no charge) to navigate seasonal changes to the instrument.
    1924 Gibson A Snakehead
    2005 National RM-1
    2007 Hester A5
    2009 Passernig A5
    2015 Black A2-z
    2010 Black GBOM
    2017 Poe Scout
    2014 Smart F-Style Mandola
    2018 Vessel TM5
    2019 Hogan F5